User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I work for hogan as a new driver.. same pay been to california twice have been running 2500 to 3200 miles a week.. Since thanksgiving and the big storm to hit stl i've been running 1500 miles a week. I dont care since I have money in the bank... They dont seem to have alot of frieght... they do seem to be trying thier best to get me miles.. I'm under a load now that doesnt deliver till wednesday 925 miles away..

Switching this time of year may not be your best decision.. Also I was fresh driver and released from training after two weeks.. When gaven a chance my loads are on time but... They do schedule some impossibles every once in while.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:09 PM

there's pros and cons to every company, i drive for werner and my 1st couple months were a little slow, about 2000 miles a week, but now ive been getting about 3000 miles a week(been driving with them now for 8 months). perhaps maybe stick it out a couple more months.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Board Regular

try tmc. flatbedding isnt to bad. just have to want to work a little.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:12 PM

If you're slow, and aren't in a big hurry to get to the next load are there opportunities to unload yourself? We had a Werner recruiter in the other day and if I remember correctly, he said they'd pay up to $150 if the driver did the unlaod themselves. Maybe do that once or twice a week if time allows?

Just a thought.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Taz

I don't work for Werner but it is the company i started with. The pay is still the same I see but at that time we got more miles.

I hear what your saying about pay and taking care of your family. Just make sure you check out the other companies talk to there drivers at your stops and make sure the grass in greener before you jump ship. Job hoping will only hurt you in the long run.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Rookie

If you can afford it, i'd try to at least finish out your 1st 6 months. Your opportunities to work for other better paying companies will open up. CFI might be a good company to check out. I'd be with them right now if they hadn't decided not to hire me. I'm also with werner right now. It's really a shame because they'd be a fine company to work for if the cpm would increase at least .05-.10 across the board.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:52 PM

Not that I know anything, but I did quit my first company quickly. I'm going to say it's better to have a job than to be looking for one. If you can work it out until you get that "Golden year" of experience you'll be better off in the long run.

I left my first company after two weeks and while I landed on my feet and am happy as a clam now, it took me over a month to find a company who wanted me. That was a tough month.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:17 PM

I too left a company within a few weeks but fortunately for me there were a few local companies around that would take a newbie fresh out of school.Best of all i'm home everynight no weekends unless i want to work them.Starting pay is .32 a mile and .38 a mile on weekends and i also get $10 a stop and i get delay pay if i'm held up for anytime over an hour.Best of all the freight is never slow we average 6 stops a day plus if i do any back hauls its also considered a stop.The company i work for is the sole hauling company for the 2nd largest wholesale grocer in the country i drive a reefer.It beats going longhaul and the $10 tarp pay
Old 12-23-2006, 03:01 PM

Hey Taz,

You are getting solid advice from everyone here. And take it from me, having jumped out of an OTR position after 3 months...... You narrow your hire-ability exponentially by leaving in less than three months. As suggested, do **everything** reasonably possible to work with your company to up your mileage. Do it with sincerity, do it out of respect and with all the diplomacy you can muster. You might find yourself being pleasantly surprised....

At least several hiring doors were closed to me with only three months and 33k miles of OTR. Fortunately, I found one opening in my research that would hire me without having to go through a training period, aside from the usual 5 days of orientation.

Do your best to stick with it a little longer and you will be very well rewarded for your commitment..... And remeber, while your money situation is tight: You WILL loose two, possibly three weeks of income while you are in transition to another company! Choose your move wisely.

"Poverty of Imagination is not a Strength"

Old 12-23-2006, 08:12 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari
If you're slow, and aren't in a big hurry to get to the next load are there opportunities to unload yourself? We had a Werner recruiter in the other day and if I remember correctly, he said they'd pay up to $150 if the driver did the unlaod themselves. Maybe do that once or twice a week if time allows?

Just a thought.
Werner pays a maximum of $40 to unload a trailer and its rare that you will unless your on a dedicated route that requires it like Family Dollar.