User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 04:13 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I can't believe they are letting drivers go when the driver shortage is like it is. That is one of the reasons company's buy company's is to get their drivers. I thinking they are scared of his previous injurys and that is why they told him he don't meet their insurance requirements. Anyway, good luck and I hope things turn around for you and your husband.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:08 AM
Senior Board Member

summary of celedons recent aqusition of digby, they got 270 trucks but only offered posiotions to 150 drivers. its apperant they dont need all those dispatchers from digby. when they can just spread the drivers out over their own fleet. They must of really wanted those accts.
alot of m/a in the trucking industry right now
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....410&highlight=
Old 10-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_o
how many drivers total is celedon laying off. r they replacing you with a cheaper version from south of the border?
They are not "laying off" drivers... Like all trucking firms they need all the drivers they can get. I suspect they only took 150 of the 270 Digby drivers due to some not wanting to switch and some that just didn't meet their requirements, ie... health, safety record, criminal record (Celadon goes to Canada and you can't even have a misdomeaner to get in!), etc...

As for the Mexicans, Celadon is "chomping at the bit" to get those Mexican drivers into the US. They say they save $25,ooo yearly for every Mexican they can get driving in the US! Traitors I'm thinking?

Listen in on their last quarterly conference call talking about getting more "Wetback" and "Mossback" (their words) drivers...

http://fulldisclosure.com/company.as...cb&ticker=cldn

I'm thinking of going to Crete, they are offering .08 cents per mile more and I don't have to be stabbed in the back and "outsourced" by 1/2 price Mexicans!
Old 10-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Senior Board Member

this is my interpertation of laid off *2oo or so gainfully employed digby drivers were aquired by celedon after investigating their backgrounds they only offered positions(continued employment) to 150 of them thus in effect laying off the rest which in the trucking industry is few and far between. said drivers r now eligible for unemployment that cost now will be paid by the aquiring company.
My question is they have been aquiring lots of companies of late is this to one grab the accounts or 2 to grab the accounts so when the flood gates open they have plenty of freight for their trks or as a result in their current business model r they falling short in the freight dept. either way the mexican drivers will have it better then us. sure they make less but for their cost of living they will jump up a few equity classes only making.22 cpm.
whatever you do dont jump outa that seat some 1/2 priced worker might step in.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Senior Board Member

hey ok i listened to the july conference call i havent heard that much horsesht since the last day i had my cb hooked up.
some of the things that stand out were his statement that a celedon really is the best place for a 40 year old veteran driver. drivers hate railyards and they dont go to grocery wharehouses. and shortly they r anticipating
the mexican fleet to be allowed in.
the addition of the walmart business out of mexico cal, sc im sure hes foaming at the mouth to have that 900 mile walmart ld out of mexico to not have to unhook that ld and give it to a regular american celedon drvr
Old 10-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Board Regular
Default NAFTA drivers, I don't think so...

Lets see, the LAST time I looked we still had the borders CLOSED to Mexican trucks. Anybody thanking the Teamsters ? Nah, all I see is complaining about how Gay people are organized, but the "trucking industry" isn't. All of you who complain about unions should ask yourself, how did this happen ? Could it be because you have no power, no organization ? We, the Teamsters contribute money out of our checks each and every month to prevent exactly this from happening. And what do we get from our non-union "brethren" ? No support, constant complaints about those damn "fat-cat" unions, "communism" (oh brother !) etc. ad nauseum...Yet, somehow we survive and prosper. Think joining a union is STILL a bad idea ? What power do you have against the "Celadon's" of the world ? Not much lately.....The border will not be opened. No matter how much all you Bush supporters want it to.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Senior Board Member

yeah not all of us have the luxury of working for a union carrier.
at the very least it would be nice to c the membership of ooida increase with nice donations made to the legal fund.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, Mr. Teamster, I called my local Teamsters hall on 6 different occasions. Out of those 6 times I called, 1 time the phone was answered by a person, rather than an answering machine. The other 5 times I left a message for someone to call me back.

I inquired about how to become a member. Whoever answered the phone that one time had no clue about anything, as he was the janitor. So, he said he'd give the right person a message to call me back.

I've yet to ever hear back from them.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_o
hey ok i listened to the july conference call i havent heard that much horsesht since the last day i had my cb hooked up.
Well I give you credit for putting up w/ an hour of that BS! These Celadon guys seemed determined to replace every American driver they can with some degenerate Mexican at 1/2 price. These Celadon corporates are Traitors.... they are traitors to America!

Canadians yes.... Mexicans No!
Old 10-12-2006, 03:52 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: NAFTA drivers, I don't think so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by feederfred
Lets see, the LAST time I looked we still had the borders CLOSED to Mexican trucks. Anybody thanking the Teamsters ? Nah, all I see is complaining about how Gay people are organized, but the "trucking industry" isn't. All of you who complain about unions should ask yourself, how did this happen ? Could it be because you have no power, no organization ? We, the Teamsters contribute money out of our checks each and every month to prevent exactly this from happening. And what do we get from our non-union "brethren" ? No support, constant complaints about those damn "fat-cat" unions, "communism" (oh brother !) etc. ad nauseum...Yet, somehow we survive and prosper. Think joining a union is STILL a bad idea ? What power do you have against the "Celadon's" of the world ? Not much lately.....The border will not be opened. No matter how much all you Bush supporters want it to.
I, for one, don't complain at all about unions. I just avoid them. We have all the power in the world against the "Celadon's" it's called other employers. As long as there is a shortage of drivers and abundance of freight, we drivers have plenty of power with or without a union. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that all unions are bad. Most started out with the best of intentions at a time when they were sorely needed, but a lot of them soon became corrupt and too greedy and it led to their own downfall time and time again. History proves this and it continues to be proven. Just ask all of the poor saps from GM, Ford & Chrysler who now find themselves out of work with few willing to take them on regardless of their experience because they don't want to bring greed and corruption into their business. I wouldn't exactly say that these companies are continuing to "survive and prosper" as a matter of fact they are downright struggling and hanging on by the skin of their teeth. All the while companies like Toyota are absolutely thriving.

Or how about the fine folks at AK Steel in Middletown? Locked out since last March with no signs of reaching an agreement. Hell, they even switched unions and it's got them nowhere. Also, quite honestly, the scabs have been much more productive and efficient than the union guys ever were. AK doesn't seem to have a problem paying them $25/hour (ad was just in the paper this weekend) so it kinda makes you wonder what the union folks are asking for.

As for UPS, sure they continue to do fairly well, but I know for a fact that they have taken hits with the emergence of companies like DHL. They will continue to take hits as the competition gets more and more efficient each day. I also know that UPS is making concessions to shippers now that they never would have made 10 years ago. It's only a matter of time before those concessions trickle down to you, the driver, then what will Brown do for you??? I'm not saying that UPS will be closing it's doors anytime soon, but I know that they are not as strong as they once were and they won't be this strong years down the road.

For you to say that Bush and non-union folk are responsible for one man's misguided attempt at running a business is absolutely ludicrous! Rather than sitting around sulking in your "woe is me" attitude with no money coming in waiting for someone else to go to bat for you, you simply pick yourself up and take care of yourself.