Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarshort
Why don't you go work on a cruise ship if you don't want to be home. Work 9 months and take off 3 months. All food and accomodations are included. Why work for slave wages and sleep in a truck for barely minimum wages? Think seriously about what you are getting yourself into.
You can also do seasonal oil & gas work in the more Remote parts of Alaska, Wyoming, etc if you want to get away and make some $.

I don't know if they hire in your area but I've heard good stuff about Gordon.

I would also say see if any of the LTLs in your area have a dock-to-driver deal but it sounds like you want to run OTR and get the heck out of dodge.
CWX has a terminal in Chico I think, about 90 minutes from my house. If iIwas 30 minutes closer I would have jumped on their dock to driver program.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams
How is the training at Pumpkin Free? It it the "free" if you stay around for a year variety?
Here's the deal. I do not like the way I live. I cannot afford school of any sort; university, community college, trucking school etc to help improve my way of life. This is the best chance I have to boost my income by 30%-50%. The CWX dock to driver program would have been great but I live 90 minutes from the closest terminal. CR England and Central Referigerated take payments out of your check to pay for the school and I'm not doing this to get another bill. SNI is my best option all the way around. I'm glad things are going great for you and when your in the ol' folks home look for me. I'll be docking the CWX truck at your local grocery store bringing in your Geritol.]
Old 09-13-2006, 02:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Just a note on SNI. People are saying they have changed the commitment time from 1 year to 18 mths before your debt is paid off. That is a long time to put up with the lower CPM that SNI pays.

You can get many of the driving schools to finance you and have a prehire for a company that will reimburse you for your training. You then have options and can get on with a company that pays better. Just some food for thought.

Longsnowsm
Old 09-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Id go with SNI...you get plenty of miles and dont have to pay for your school....and the whole 18month commitment ONLY depends on where you live or its 12 months...and by the time you do 12-18 months youll have enough experience to work local or somewhere where you can be home more often SNI says out 2-3 weeks home 2-3 days
Old 09-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Trucking Dog, before you commit yourself to the Orange contract, make VERY VERY sure you even like living out of a truck. When the days work is done, you're still there in the truck. Personal road expenses are gonna gobble up a lot from your wallet until you figure out the right stops to re-load your food supply etc.

If you can, do a ride along with someone you may know that drives. Go for a week or two.

Or, slap the school fee on a zero interest credit card and find a local school. This way if you hate one company, you can switch out to another and not be tied up with a training contract comitment to any carrier. The only commitment you'll have is the one to yourself
Old 09-14-2006, 12:43 AM

Heck, join the ARMY.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:11 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt602
Heck, join the ARMY.
Can't join the Army. I'm 37 and military tops out at 35. I was in the Navy and although honerably discharged I was given a RE-3R re-entry code on my DD-214 and I guess that means not a chance in hell that I'll get back in.

SNI can not write contacts in California. Apperantly it's illegal.

Living in the truck? I'm practically living in a box now. I see no problem their.

Here's the short of it. I make $22,000 gross at Home Depot. If SNI says I can make $32,000 my first year, I'm taking their word for it. I'm going no where with the orange box so I'll trade it in for an orange truck.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Senior Board Member

If im not mistaken Ive read on here that schnider does take pay out of your checks for traing, and its 4 weeks before you see the first check. Ill try to find the thread were I found this at.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckingDog
Quote:
Heck, join the ARMY.
Can't join the Army. I'm 37 and military tops out at 35. I was in the Navy and although honerably discharged I was given a RE-3R re-entry code on my DD-214 and I guess that means not a chance in hell that I'll get back in.

Living in the truck? I'm practically living in a box now. I see no problem their.

Here's the short of it. I make $22,000 gross at Home Depot. If SNI says I can make $32,000 my first year, I'm taking their word for it. I'm going no where with the orange box so I'll trade it in for an orange truck.
The age limit has been raised to 40 years old, except for the Marines. With your prior service it will be even higher. Whatever the conditions were that gave you a RE-3R may have changed. They are hurting for people right now. All they can do is say no.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckingDog
Quote:
Heck, join the ARMY.

Here's the short of it. I make $22,000 gross at Home Depot. If SNI says I can make $32,000 my first year, I'm taking their word for it. I'm going no here with the orange box so I'll trade it in for an orange truck.
The age limit has been raised to 40 years old, except for the Marines. With your prior service it will be even higher. Whatever the conditions were that gave you a RE-3R may have changed. They are hurting for people right now. All they can do is say no.
A search on the internet gave the procedure to file for a change in your reelinstment code through the Board for Correction of Naval Records. If reenlisting is an option for you you now know where to go.