User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

No, it's software that the shops have to go in an change. They have a little hand held unitsfor both types of engunes.The volvo engines are the same, it's just a 5 min fix, if you have a good shop.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythe08
No, it's software that the shops have to go in an change. They have a little hand held unitsfor both types of engunes.The volvo engines are the same, it's just a 5 min fix, if you have a good shop.
Interesting.

Does Knight use ICON (Cummins version of Opti-idle)? I was looking at their used trucks and was just wondering.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Knight

It's a shame I started at Knight when things seemed to be turning bad. Oh well, at least I didn't waste alot of time there.
And as far as opti-idle they don't use it. All they have is bunk warmers. Other that that they don't want you to idle. The trucks are slow but they have torque and pull hills very well. I would think buying an older Knight truck would be a good purchase. They were definetely not abused as far as speed is concerned.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Board Regular

Does Knight use ICON (Cummins version of Opti-idle)? I was looking at their used trucks and was just wondering.

Knight doesn't have any of their engines with any form of opti-idle. Instead they put a 5 minute idle time limit. My volvo engine didn't have one , but my cummins did. But I also had the the volvo when it was brand new and my idle times are usually really low, so they might not have put it on.
Also if ur thinking of buy one of their trucks, make sure you ask for the maintenance history of it. That should all be available on their computer systems in the shop. Some of these trucks run like a dream, then you have others where the driver peed all over the place and spit sun flower seed all over the dash, like my old truck. Best of luck to you. In my opinion the shop in Salt lake city has them best running trucks.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:10 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarshort
It's a shame I started at Knight when things seemed to be turning bad. Oh well, at least I didn't waste alot of time there.
And as far as opti-idle they don't use it. All they have is bunk warmers. Other that that they don't want you to idle. The trucks are slow but they have torque and pull hills very well. I would think buying an older Knight truck would be a good purchase. They were definetely not abused as far as speed is concerned.
If I were in the market for a truck (I'm no longer OTR, I just happened to come across ex-Knight trucks in a google search on Cummins ISX engines), I'd seriously consider an off-Knight fleet Volvo VNL670 with the ISX. They're actually geared pretty well for a fleet truck. 3.58 rear ends and 10 speed O/D transmissions. Easily capable of higher speeds than 66 mph. 400hp (uprateable) with SmartTorque.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Default Try ryder used trks

Ryder fleets trks, have regular pms w/maint agreements. U will have a good waranty. My trk for knight is pm every 30,000 miles. And they want u to run your oil level to wear it shows add, no higher because its a waste of oil, and leaks out. Seriously reconsider a knight trk. Good luck on your trk purchase
Old 09-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Default lack of freight

Knight 4 sure is stuggling to get freight, there cust base has declined.
There terminals have expanded along with drivers, many drivers now may be sittin a whole day 4 a load. There is a lack of cooperation between terminals., they all want to b #1. and show profit. At this point i hope there is a grand plan. I surley dont believe Knight wants a driver mill.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Rookie
Default GOOD LUCK!!!

THEY WILL LIE TO YOU THEY PROMISE THE WORLD AND GIVE YOU A LOAD OF CRAP..
I LASTED 6 MONTHS OUT OF THE SLC TERM.. SPEND MANY A DAY WAITING TO EITHER LOAD OR UNLOAD... :twisted:
Old 09-25-2006, 06:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Sounds like things have really changed since I left Knight a year ago.

Several years ago, from what I have been told, Knight went through some major BS with the terminals, the way drivers were treated, truck maintence.....heck you name it and it was going wrong. From what I was told Kevin Knight stepped in a gave everyone who did not sit in a truck for a living short notice to shape up and then started firing people left and right.

It is starting to look like Kevin, or somebody, is going to have to do this again.

The way things are set up at Knight works well if everyone plays by the rules. If they do you have a large company stability with a small company feel. The downside is that it does not take much to throw everything out of whack big time.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Sounds like things have really changed since I left Knight a year ago.

Several years ago, from what I have been told, Knight went through some major BS with the terminals, the way drivers were treated, truck maintence.....heck you name it and it was going wrong. From what I was told Kevin Knight stepped in a gave everyone who did not sit in a truck for a living short notice to shape up and then started firing people left and right.

It is starting to look like Kevin, or somebody, is going to have to do this again.

The way things are set up at Knight works well if everyone plays by the rules. If they do you have a large company stability with a small company feel. The downside is that it does not take much to throw everything out of whack big time.

thet are to busy buying small fleets just to get the drivers.. i went thru this when they bought out edwards bros (id falls, id) they said they would leave us alone i had a dedicated run from pocatello to slc 5 days a week..knight ref lost the account, then said i would have to go otr or out the door