Old 08-31-2006, 02:38 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Dollarshort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord
At least you're not the Knight driver that closed I-5 North of Oceanside the other day. Allegedly, that driver is still in the lockup for operating his truck under the influence of drugs. Not a good thing to hit a guard rail, open up a fuel tank and go flaming A, B, C, and Delta on the shoulder. Even the Camp Pendleton Marines helped put out the fire. BOL
that driver better hope they was good drugs.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:44 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: Just completed 1st month with Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarshort
So needless to say I have been running in and out of NY without a HUT sticker and paying cash for all my own tolls.
Aw man, you're just asking for trouble.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Senior Board Member
Default I know!

So far I have been lucky, but I can't believe they keep sending me into NY. Everytime I am dispatched that way I remind them I have no HUT sticker and they say "Don't worry about it"

Just to let you know how stupid my dispatcher is....Last week I called him from Connecticut to remind him again about having no sticker. He actually said "You don't need a HUT sticker in Connecticut" I had to explain to him that you can't get to Connecticut without going through NY :lol:

Maybe it's because he can hardly speak english should have been a clue that he is not familiar with the layout of the United States?
Old 08-31-2006, 10:52 PM
Rookie

I used to drive for them out of Indianapolis. If I remember correctly, they are a non-forced dispatch company. So, if they dispatch you to NY or through NY then turn down the load.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: I know!

Quote:
So far I have been lucky, but I can't believe they keep sending me into NY. Everytime I am dispatched that way I remind them I have no HUT sticker and they say "Don't worry about it"

Just to let you know how stupid my dispatcher is....Last week I called him from Connecticut to remind him again about having no sticker. He actually said "You don't need a HUT sticker in Connecticut" I had to explain to him that you can't get to Connecticut without going through NY :lol:

Maybe it's because he can hardly speak english should have been a clue that he is not familiar with the layout of the United States?

Yeah, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT, THEN WAIT AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY WHEN YOU GET NAILED WITH THAT $382.00 FINE, OR IS IT $482.00?? I'll bet you a dime they'll say.... "You should have told us you didn't have one, yada, yada, yada.... :!: :!:

Tell the "dumbasses" you're dealing with that it only takes about 2 hours to get one (NY HUT Temp) through Comdata Services....and then they can fax it to you!! Then ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO ENTER THE STATE OF NEW YORK WITHOUT IT!! If they refuse to get it for you, ask them where they want their truck turned in. I'm serious. If they are that darn cheesy over a crappy permit...whats next? And who cares what part of the country that truck originated in.....its their fault/problem anyway....they flew you to Phoenix :shock: Its their truck, they know the rules....but if you get caught... You will pay the fine, yep, you Mr. Truck Driver, and you will "play hell" getting them to re-imburse you.... Betcha an "internet dollar"...

You should never enter a state that requires a permit...without that permit, because if you do.... YOU ARE GONNA GET HUNG AND HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!

So far, and based on your experiences.... I'm not impressed with your Carlisle terminal. Generally speaking, most of what I have heard about Knight has been favorable.... but it was not obviously about them.

A dispatcher whose "first language" or is not "fluent" in English??? Ludicrous!!! If he's the Carlisle terminal's "best"..... I'd never want to hear about their "worst"!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:22 AM
Board Regular

That is astounding.
They are one of the largest carriers in the country, yet run like a fly by night shady operation.

This is just jaw dropping. Lends to my theory the larger the company the worse it is ran.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:22 PM
Senior Board Member

As I see it the moral of the story here is don't be afraid to tell the company to pound sand when they ask you to cut corners.

You are the one who eats the fine or gets a mark on his driving record.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:06 PM

Talked to dispatch when I Saw this ( I have one of the few really good ones) He agrees with you about charlise, he even has trouble with them on his level.
Have you thought about being dispached out of another terminal?
There are some drivers who do this, I have talked to a few, and they say they have had no problems with doing it.
Sad to say, but yes, with this company your dispacher makes All! the diffrence.
I even quit once, till I finally got the one I have now, after that 99.9% of the problems went away.
I have a deal with my dispatcher that may help with the qualcom, If it is important he calls my cell, otherwise I do not look at it till I stop.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Just completed 1st month with Knight

Quote:
Okay, I just completed my first month with Knight Transportation.
I am based out of Carlisle, PA. Here are a few points to discuss...
The orientation was pretty much like...Here's a book, look through it and if you have any questions just ask. Really, it was basically a do it yourself session. We had maybe 30 minutes where someone was in the room with us during the whole day. Otherwise we were on our own. Then were were told they would have trucks for us. While the second day was winding down we kept looking out the windows at an empty lot. No trucks ever showed up. We were then informed that ewe would have to fly to Phoenix, AZ to get our trucks. They said they would get us back immediately. Needless to say getting back home wasn't as easy as they said it would be. Once getting back to our home area we were informed that EZPass and NY HUT stickers would be about two weeks at the most. Well just yesterday I was informed that they weren't even ordered yet. Reason is because my truck is classified as a Arizona truck so they don't want to spend money on a truck that is not theirs. You may ask why is this? It's because each individual terminal runs as a seperate part of the whole company. So it would be wasted money to put into a Phoenix truck. I know it doesn't make sense but that's how it is. Also when I picked up the truck in AZ it needed new drive tires badly. Guess what I was told? Get new ones when you get back to Carlisle. That way AZ didn't have to spend the $$$. Pretty crappy to make a driver run inferior equipment just because you are worried about your bottom line.
So needless to say I have been running in and out of NY without a HUT sticker and paying cash for all my own tolls.

Equipment is nice looking, but very slow. 64 mph :cry: They said it would go to 66 if idle time is kept at a minimum. But I guess that won't happen because I like to be comfortable when I sleep. So I am stuck with a 64 mph truck. By the way that's on the pedal. If you put it on cruise you will only get 62 mph.

They also want you to average 6.75 mpg. Even at 64 mph it's impossible being I haven't hauled a load yet under 44,000 lbs.

Also they want you to fuel only at Pilots or Loves. I personally hate Pilots and Loves don't seem to be much better.

They stress in orientation that there is about 50-75% drop and hook and very little wait time over 2 hours. Well I can tell you so far I am blowing that theory out of the water. I have had only 2 drop and hooks in my first month, and I am averaging anywhere from 4-7 hours wait time on EVERY load! Then I have to beg for $10 per hour detention time. They also stress running LEGAL :roll: I have yet to run a totally legal week so far. Totally impossible with all the waiting time.

I have asked for a different dispatcher but the terminal manager said I have the best one they got in Carlise. :? If this is the best they got I am in trouble. I am big on communication and I try my best to do so, but my dispatcher is constantly screwing up. He forgets to make appointment times, etc. Then when I get to the consigneee I am told they weren't expecting me, all adding to my wasted time.

So far I am not impressed but I am willing to give it at least 90 days. I just hope I am not wasting my time.
All that- plus they kept sending me over the George Wash bridge...not my cup of tea. I didn't whine- just turned my trk in after 2 weeks LOL.
They never even charged me the $150 orientation fee if ya dont stay 6 months.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Update!

Who needs to put up with this crap! I called my previous employer yesterday and they offered me my local gig back. Home every day and paid by the hour. Just another reason why you shouldn't burn bridges and always leave on good terms. I turned my truck in this morning.