User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Just completed 1st month with Knight

Okay, I just completed my first month with Knight Transportation.
I am based out of Carlisle, PA. Here are a few points to discuss...
The orientation was pretty much like...Here's a book, look through it and if you have any questions just ask. Really, it was basically a do it yourself session. We had maybe 30 minutes where someone was in the room with us during the whole day. Otherwise we were on our own. Then were were told they would have trucks for us. While the second day was winding down we kept looking out the windows at an empty lot. No trucks ever showed up. We were then informed that ewe would have to fly to Phoenix, AZ to get our trucks. They said they would get us back immediately. Needless to say getting back home wasn't as easy as they said it would be. Once getting back to our home area we were informed that EZPass and NY HUT stickers would be about two weeks at the most. Well just yesterday I was informed that they weren't even ordered yet. Reason is because my truck is classified as a Arizona truck so they don't want to spend money on a truck that is not theirs. You may ask why is this? It's because each individual terminal runs as a seperate part of the whole company. So it would be wasted money to put into a Phoenix truck. I know it doesn't make sense but that's how it is. Also when I picked up the truck in AZ it needed new drive tires badly. Guess what I was told? Get new ones when you get back to Carlisle. That way AZ didn't have to spend the $$$. Pretty crappy to make a driver run inferior equipment just because you are worried about your bottom line.
So needless to say I have been running in and out of NY without a HUT sticker and paying cash for all my own tolls.

Equipment is nice looking, but very slow. 64 mph :cry: They said it would go to 66 if idle time is kept at a minimum. But I guess that won't happen because I like to be comfortable when I sleep. So I am stuck with a 64 mph truck. By the way that's on the pedal. If you put it on cruise you will only get 62 mph.

They also want you to average 6.75 mpg. Even at 64 mph it's impossible being I haven't hauled a load yet under 44,000 lbs.

Also they want you to fuel only at Pilots or Loves. I personally hate Pilots and Loves don't seem to be much better.

They stress in orientation that there is about 50-75% drop and hook and very little wait time over 2 hours. Well I can tell you so far I am blowing that theory out of the water. I have had only 2 drop and hooks in my first month, and I am averaging anywhere from 4-7 hours wait time on EVERY load! Then I have to beg for $10 per hour detention time. They also stress running LEGAL :roll: I have yet to run a totally legal week so far. Totally impossible with all the waiting time.

I have asked for a different dispatcher but the terminal manager said I have the best one they got in Carlise. :? If this is the best they got I am in trouble. I am big on communication and I try my best to do so, but my dispatcher is constantly screwing up. He forgets to make appointment times, etc. Then when I get to the consigneee I am told they weren't expecting me, all adding to my wasted time.

So far I am not impressed but I am willing to give it at least 90 days. I just hope I am not wasting my time.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Knight

No, I am not BULL :dung: I have heard others say good things about Knight. Maybe I am just having some bad luck right now. I figure I have to get about the next 60 loads to be drop and hook to be up in their % that they told me.
I PM'd you with some other info you might want to read also.
They also brag about having satellite on all their trailers but when you are looking for an empty they can never locate one. :?:
Old 08-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

no comment
Old 08-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Senior Board Member

One other thing....You can't read the qualcomm messages while the truck is in motion. They expect you to stop anytime the damn thing beeps at you. Try doing that just anywhere. They also send so many meaningless messages during the day you are stopping way too much to read them.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:24 PM
Board Icon

I picked up the truck in AZ it needed new drive tires badly. Guess what I was told? Get new ones when you get back to Carlisle. That way AZ didn't have to spend the $$$. Pretty

What does AZ have to do with buying Drives? It's a company truck and they, Knight, pay for the Tires NOT the state.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Like I said it's hard to understand but each terminal runs as a seperate business. So if "Carlisle" buys tires for an "Arizona" truck it is money thrown out the window according to Carlisle. It is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard of but that's how they see it. I said the same thing. All the trucks are essentially owned by Knight, but maintenance is broken down terminal to terminal. And whichever terminal performs the best I guess gets some kind of bonus. Who knows? But when you have to answer to stock holders stupid :dung: happens.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:47 PM
Board Icon

I believe you when you said that-Just sounds like that Terminal was too lazy to put some new ones on for you
Old 08-31-2006, 02:35 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Dollarshort

At least you're not the Knight driver that closed I-5 North of Oceanside the other day. Allegedly, that driver is still in the lockup for operating his truck under the influence of drugs. Not a good thing to hit a guard rail, open up a fuel tank and go flaming A, B, C, and Delta on the shoulder. Even the Camp Pendleton Marines helped put out the fire. BOL