User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Call the recruiting deptartment at the carriers you're interested in. Ask them their average length of haul per load for a solo. You'll find most are in the 350-500 mile range.
These are my total paid miles from just my last eight loads. I'm using these simply because they're my most recent and all that's in this load book so far. That and I'm too lazy to get up and grab another load book. :lol: Mind you, I wasn't a happy camper getting those first three short runs in a row, but they come in spurts and freight has been slow, so I didn't complain. Even with one under 500, two under 600 and one under 700, I'm still averaging 975 miles per load. The point I'm trying to make is that yeah, we all have to do our share of short runs here and there, but I would NEVER accept that averaging 350-500 is just part of running solo.

475+684+555+1,392+566+1,669+968+1,496=7805/8=975.625
Old 10-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
I'm a newb and don't have my CDL yet, but after lurking on the board a while it seems to me that everyone has companies they like or dislike.

This board also seems to have companies it likes and dislikes.

But when someone questions why a trucking company has a sliding pay scale based on how many miles the load travels (not necessarily with the same driver) that is a valid question.
It seems that some of you aren't "getting the point" that some of us are trying to make. I personally have nothing against USX... they seem to be a good enough company....from what I know, and since I have never driven for them.... I can't really criticize them.... but I will take issue with their "payscale" because its a "hoser" and it is direct abuse heaped upon the driver, period!

Quote:
This seems kind of goofy to me... So customer X you want this load to go 1200 miles. Well since we pay our drivers 20% less for loads like that we decided to pass the savings on to you....
They aren't passing on "jack squat" to the customer. Freight tarriffs are all "negotiated" and done under contract..... So its really, "We hose our drivers down to the tune of 20% less pay per mile for more miles", so we'll be happy to haul your freight and pocket the difference.

Quote:
Does this mean you can't make money at USX -- no. Does this mean you shouldn't drive for USX -- no. Does this mean you should be aware of the mileage policy before you take a job with them -- yes.
Yes, while you might make "money" with a company like them...or any company that "shafts" their drivers with a sliding payscale that simply translates to MORE MILES equals LESS DOLLARS, you are doing nothing less than being complicit with the company and screwing yourself and your family while the company takes the extra profits and probably pays a big bonus to the "hoser" that developed that borderline criminal payscale....and lets not forget its figured in HHG short miles....so the unsuspecting and stupid will make alot less for alot more work. If thats what you want in life....go ahead and throw yourself on that sword. Me, I demand good pay for good work, and I get it!

Quote:
From one newb to another -- pay attention to what is said on the boards. It can make a lot of difference in the company you choose.
How true, how true..... VERY TRUE!!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.