User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2006, 04:06 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Everyone likes to down EVERY company that will hire new drivers. Of course, most of them are not great, heck some of them aren't worth a dime.

My question is where else are we supposed to go until we have a year or so under our belt? Why do certain people have to down every company that someone has a question about?

Being so wise, these people most certainly should understand that we have to start somewhere. (as has everyone)

But what do I know about anything ?? I'm new, I know nothing.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:07 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

How long has this uglymutt been driving ?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey4069
How long has this uglymutt been driving ?
Uglymut comes off as another old biter driver. No matter what anyone says he's going to argue. Like most other more "senior" drivers. They like to think that driving a truck is rocket science. When in fact MOST of it is common sense. (as stated above by someone else)
Old 10-25-2006, 04:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Us Xpress is not bad company treated me well for 2 yrs . They have bad and good things about them what company dosen't . I like how people tell all the bad about a company they have never worked for. How long do you have to drive for to be a senior driver ?
Old 10-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ81
Everyone likes to down EVERY company that will hire new drivers. Of course, most of them are not great, heck some of them aren't worth a dime.
No, that is not necessarily so. Some of the companies that hire newbies are lousy, while others are well above average and even good. Its sorting out which is which that is the trick.

Quote:
My question is where else are we supposed to go until we have a year or so under our belt?
Ask questions, sort through the answers....read, lurk, read some more, lurk some more. DO your homework....

Quote:
Why do certain people have to down every company that someone has a question about?
Asked and answered.

Have you bothered to actually read the comments and do a comparison, or do you prefer to be a stodgy lemming hell bent to march to the cliff then hence into the sea?

Quote:
Being so wise, these people most certainly should understand that we have to start somewhere. (as has everyone)

But what do I know about anything ?? I'm new, I know nothing.
Ahhhh, grasshopper, that you are so humble....

Most of us who started long ago....did so way before this thing called the "internet" was publicly accessible.....so we had to do our legwork the old fashioned way....and things were more difficult then, believe me on that.

Those of us that post here, and who try to help those of you that are new to this game....do so because we want to, not because we get a vicarious thrill out of it.... For the most part we get nothing, absolutely nothing in return....unless someone emails a thank you note.....

What you need to do is sit back, take a deep breath, read, and digest the information and take things with a grain of salt..... if you are as new as you say you are, then you really have little basis for comparison of anything except a preconcieved self administered predjudiced formed by your own mind..... Might I suggest that you and some of the others spend some time using the search function and find some of the answers to your questions and maybe these answers will also clue you in to why some of us answer the way we do....

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Rookie

I'm a newb and don't have my CDL yet, but after lurking on the board a while it seems to me that everyone has companies they like or dislike.

This board also seems to have companies it likes and dislikes.

But when someone questions why a trucking company has a sliding pay scale based on how many miles the load travels (not necessarily with the same driver) that is a valid question.

This seems kind of goofy to me... So customer X you want this load to go 1200 miles. Well since we pay our drivers 20% less for loads like that we decided to pass the savings on to you....

Does this mean you can't make money at USX -- no. Does this mean you shouldn't drive for USX -- no. Does this mean you should be aware of the mileage policy before you take a job with them -- yes.

From one newb to another -- pay attention to what is said on the boards. It can make a lot of difference in the company you choose.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
I'm a newb and don't have my CDL yet, but after lurking on the board a while it seems to me that everyone has companies they like or dislike.

This board also seems to have companies it likes and dislikes.

But when someone questions why a trucking company has a sliding pay scale based on how many miles the load travels (not necessarily with the same driver) that is a valid question.

This seems kind of goofy to me... So customer X you want this load to go 1200 miles. Well since we pay our drivers 20% less for loads like that we decided to pass the savings on to you....

Does this mean you can't make money at USX -- no. Does this mean you shouldn't drive for USX -- no. Does this mean you should be aware of the mileage policy before you take a job with them -- yes.

From one newb to another -- pay attention to what is said on the boards. It can make a lot of difference in the company you choose.
Well said Luke... Its all in how you take the feedback you asked for. I am guilty of asking things that have been asked before. Its all in how you take it.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Senior Board Member

And don't forget - the average length of haul for a solo driver is 450 miles per load - so about 80% of the time you'll be in the 'top' of the pay scale. About 15% of my loads hit the 600-900, and only 3 or 4 hit the 900+.

Just so you know.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:54 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
And don't forget - the average length of haul for a solo driver is 450 miles per load - so about 80% of the time you'll be in the 'top' of the pay scale. About 15% of my loads hit the 600-900, and only 3 or 4 hit the 900+.

Just so you know.
Sounds like a steady diet of over nighters to me, which at a minimum gets old REAL quick and eats up your logbook and at a maximum can make you want to perforate your brain with a bullet. However, not before going postal on dispatch first! :lol:
Old 10-27-2006, 07:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Call the recruiting deptartment at the carriers you're interested in. Ask them their average length of haul per load for a solo. You'll find most are in the 350-500 mile range.