User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg
Well IMHO on USX they do not call them USELESS for nothing Nuff Said.
What exactly is the problem with US. True, their pay may not be the best in the industry, however, I have found a company that treats me fairly and
honestly. They give me what they tell me; they get me home when I want;
they give me enuf time to deliver my load in a timely fashion.

Yes, the trannies are auto, but if you work the tranny in mannual you can do with it as you need, but without clutching.

US is a good starter company.

FR8
Old 10-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglymutt
down side to watkins shepard is they slip seat the truck and you have to pull doubles all the time...... slip seat means your not the only driver, someone else drives the truck when you don't, so I would think twice or 3 times before going with them.... USX is a girly company, they pay the lowest in the industry and all the trucks are auto shift so girls can drive them..
No girl here, driver. You sound like you have some personal issues to deal with.

USX payscale is a little weird to someone who doesn't understand it. But its far better than alot of that I've seen. Mainly if you're a newbie. Most companies start newbies out at .25-.28 cpm. USX .32-.35 Now whats wrong with that?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:16 AM
Rookie
Default USX or???

Thank you for all the feedback...we ended up signing up at a private school, and we love it...we are taking our time, no rush...we are already in a truck learning skills. A couple of truck companies have come to recruit...Werner sounded really good, especially for teams...Ashley and Schneider are coming at the end of the month...any knowledge on those two? Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Senior Board Member

USX is a good company, but it's by far from the lowest paid company in the industry. Also, it's not mostly drop and hook. When I was there, I had about 15% drop and hook, did 1 unload (which I chose to do to get the $ instead of a lumper), and had to sit at many a grocery warehouse dock.

If you think shifting gears vs driving an automatic truck makes you more of a driver, you're sadly mistaken. Sure, the truck shifts gears for you, but is it going to take that 120 degree right hand turn onto a 1 lane road for you in the middle of the night when it's raining? Nope. Is the truck going to take over the braking and steering while coming across Snoqualmie pass during a snowstorm? Nope.

The only thing it will do is shift gears. Hate to tell you this, my 16yr old daughter can shift gears.

That said, yeah, I'd recommend USX, but not to a newbie driver. The only reason I won't recommend a newbie to go to USX is that hey should get experience shifting gears, just in case they decide to go elsewhere.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Rookie

Quote:
USX is a girly company, they pay the lowest in the industry and all the trucks are auto shift so girls can drive them..

I like girls. Can I team with them at USX?
Old 10-15-2006, 04:45 AM
Rookie

There are a lot of good companies and finding one wont be a problem. However, be prepared to be out 2 weeks at a time. Some companies will get you to the house on the weekends, but, it almost always means less miles and a smaller check. As far as companies go, check out Heartland Express. They have OTR and regional lanes and the pay is about as good as it gets for company drivers. (.50cpm)
Old 10-19-2006, 02:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed
There are a lot of good companies and finding one wont be a problem. However, be prepared to be out 2 weeks at a time. Some companies will get you to the house on the weekends, but, it almost always means less miles and a smaller check. As far as companies go, check out Heartland Express. They have OTR and regional lanes and the pay is about as good as it gets for company drivers. (.50cpm)
Before you buy into that ...you'd best look for the "hooks".... as in "up to", and find out exactly where it applies...and the rest of the information regarding them before you consider them to be the "holy grail". Lets just place them in the "caveat emptor" area...... 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ81
USX payscale is a little weird to someone who doesn't understand it. But its far better than alot of that I've seen. Mainly if you're a newbie. Most companies start newbies out at .25-.28 cpm. USX .32-.35 Now whats wrong with that?
Your experience in "payscales" appears to be limited.... Not much to understand about USX's payscales....more miles to the run = less cpm per mile. Nothing tricky about that. More miles, more the driver gets "screwed" and the more profit the company makes... nothing tricky about that.

And when you stop to consider its paid as HHG short miles...its a royal shafting :shock: :? There's alot wrong with that.... :x

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

Old 10-19-2006, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Quote:
Your experience in "payscales" appears to be limited.... Not much to understand about USX's payscales....more miles to the run = less cpm per mile. Nothing tricky about that. More miles, more the driver gets "screwed" and the more profit the company makes... nothing tricky about that.

And when you stop to consider its paid as HHG short miles...its a royal shafting :shock: :? There's alot wrong with that.... :x
To someone looking in from the outside it is weird. Paid per load, per trip. Most trips given to newbies are 300-400 miles, paid at .35 cpm. The rate of pay doesn't go down unless the trip is 900+, in which case the pay rate sucks a little.

And as far as my experience in payscales being limited, duh. I'm a rookie. You seem to be another old timer who thinks they know everythign there is to know about everything. And someone like me who is new is a complete fool.

That's ok though, most of your senior driver friends are no different than you. (and people wonder why most of us usually keep our radios off)
Old 10-25-2006, 02:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Quote:

To someone looking in from the outside it is weird. Paid per load, per trip. Most trips given to newbies are 300-400 miles, paid at .35 cpm. The rate of pay doesn't go down unless the trip is 900+, in which case the pay rate sucks a little.
Yup, the payrate does "suck", and it even sucks at their 35 cpm rate... since its HHG short miles, so either way it just "sucks". I guess you think a "shafting" at a couple of cpm more is just a little less painful.....

Quote:
And as far as my experience in payscales being limited, duh. I'm a rookie. You seem to be another old timer who thinks they know everythign there is to know about everything.
No, you're wrong....and there is a significant "error" in your thought process... I am not an old timer who thinks he knows everything, and I am not arrogant enough to even begin thinking that. I simply know what I know, and I limit my comments to what I know. That which I know nothing about, I keep my mouth shut. Discretion is the better part of valor. You may wish to embrace the thought.

Quote:
And someone like me who is new is a complete fool.
If that is your claim to fame, and a mantle you choose to wear.... then so be it. But if you think that USX's pay schedule is a good thing,..... uh, you are somewhat validating the claim you made above.

Quote:
That's ok though, most of your senior driver friends are no different than you. (and people wonder why most of us usually keep our radios off)
Ummm, I find my humor in your "questionable" musings... since you know nothing of me, nor do you have a clue as to who my social circle is comprised of.... I think if you actually spent a little time reading my past posts.... I think it more than possible that you would feel foolish about your allegations toward me. Along with keeping your CB off, I might suggest that until you aware of a bit more fact....than you apparently posess.... that you keep a lid on your musings..... lest you make a fool of yourself.

Since you fired first.... Might I say that I suspect that you have and frequently wear a t-shirt with this on the front and back:

??