User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default ?

I have to ask then....Are you considering going back to Swift?
I wonder why you are not still with them if they are such a great company that wants you to succeed :roll:
Consider the time you spent with them...you are now gone, so you are no further ahead of him as far as seniority.
Just wondering :?:
That's why I told him not to waste any more time with them. Two more weeks with Swift is two less weeks at a good job.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarshort
Why stick it out? Waste two more weeks of his life on a company that could care less if he wakes up breathing every day. Take this as a lesson learned to stay away from these huge bottom-feeders in the industry. Good luck in your search for the right fit.
Why stick it out?

1. He's already invested 4 weeks of his time, bolting now is no guarantee that any other company will accept those 4 weeks and he may have to start over. The fact, is some company may say, yes, we'll accept your training of 4 weeks to get you in the truck and then drop the bomb on you that their insurance company won't and requires you to go through our training program to satisfy our insurance requirements. Training is directly tied to safety programs, which are tied to the insurance underwriting.........a driver who isn't processed according to the insurance requirements leaves the company at risk for denied coverage............when personal injury awards can be in the millions (and usually are), give me the name of one company that is willing to put the company in that exposure and I'll show you a company who is one accident away from being put out of business.
2. With years of experience on the management side reviewing resumes and applications........a history of job hopping on your resume is taken under considerations by an employer. It tends to raise questions as to the character and problem solving capabilities of the applicant. Getting off the truck during your training can be viewed by a future employer as a pretty good indication that the trainee may not be adaptable to the driver lifestyle.
3. Lost revenue recovery.........an extended training period, cuts into his potential income...........it could possible take a year or more to recoup that lost income.

These are just a few considerations he should take in to account before he decides to bolt or stick it out.........

Dollarshort, your description of Swift as a bottom feeder large corporation that doesn't care if he wakes up breathing every day...says it all...... what's your qualifications for making such a sweeping statement? Personal experience or just repeating what you've heard from others?

If the fact that they are one of the largest transportation companies in the market is your problem, then let me ask you a question..........do you shop at Wal-mart? You want to talk about a company who exploits not only their employees, but the vendors, the manufacturers and anybody else in the supply line chain........now that is a bottom feeder.......who has a heck of a marketing and damage control structure to keep customers like you walking in their doors convinced they are getting the lowest prices and best deal next to sliced bread. But I understand, as long as it's beneficial to you it's okay.......you wouldn't work there, but you'll spend your dollars there, while someone else who is being exploited makes it possible.

The truth is Sarasdad........there ain't no best company out there to work for, only the company were you work.......it's up to you to decide what you will do with it. I'd be willing to guarantee that if you jump to some other company, in 6 months you're going to find something wrong with that company as well...........then what?

One factor you might want to consider in your deliberations Sarasdad.....there are some very serious indicators out that the a recession is coming our way...... it's not so much a question of if it's coming, but when it's coming. Figures released yesterday, indicate some serious down turns in the housing market..... this will have a ripple effect in the industry and I think we're going to see the Real-estate bubble pop here pretty quick.......... A recession will have some serious impacts on our industry.......many of the smaller operations will go under, even some of the medium sized outfits will go under if they're under alot of debt burden...............The larger companies will be effected by it as well, but stand a far better chance of weathering the bad times mainly due to their size and the opportunities that come with that size.

Two weeks is nothing............think of it as boot camp...you made it through boot camp didn't you....(seem to recall you're ex military)......once you get out on your own you have a better chance of making your situation better ...............

And don't get me wrong.......I'm not totally enamored with Swift or their training program.........they have problems like everybody else.......they're making changes and it'll take some time for them to be effective and still they wont ever be perfect........but which company is?

Is this mentor just an ass who has bad teaching skills, and doesn't relate well with others.......or is he teaching you questionable ideas.......making you run illegal, falsifying your logs, and the whole list of other factions of this business that will get you or someone else killed? If the latter is the case, then yes, I'd get my ass of the truck in a heartbeat........then I would be talking to everybody in safety I could, right on up to corporate in Phoenix........even the big man himself.........it might not help you at the present, but it might help the next trainee.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Senior Board Member

As a matter of fact I don't shop at WallyWorld. For the same reason I quoted as far as Swift. Here's an example....Last Tuesday I watched a Swift driver attempt to back in a dock for 25 minutes. Did I say it was a straight-in wide open dock? She was in tears when she asked me if I could back it in for her. Against my better judgement I hopped in her truck and backed it in. I knew I was taking a big chance driving another company's truck but I couldn't stand to watch her anymore. I even offer to help her while she was in the drivers seat but she insisted on me doing it. She was by herself :cry: This is what it has come to with Swift. There is no way she should have been on her own. I can't imagine how many things she had run into since turning her loose. There is something seriously wrong with a company that lets someone like that go on their own. :sad: You are entitled to your opinion just like I am mine. This is mine so deal with it!
Old 08-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Dollarshort, I think it was nice of you to help her. 8) Sometimes nerves get so shaky after trying to back up with people looking and or joking about you you just loose it.Look at it this way. She made it from the shipper all the way to that Wallyworld with out smashing up her rig,So maybe she still has trouble backing up.A lot of people have that problem.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:11 AM
Rookie

I knew about Swift being a poorly run company from an instructor who teaches at the CDL school in central tx (ATDS) his name was Buck I think. was told by another instructor there that Buck was an O/O and he quit due to Swift not paying him right.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarshort
As a matter of fact I don't shop at WallyWorld. For the same reason I quoted as far as Swift. Here's an example....Last Tuesday I watched a Swift driver attempt to back in a dock for 25 minutes. Did I say it was a straight-in wide open dock? She was in tears when she asked me if I could back it in for her. Against my better judgement I hopped in her truck and backed it in. I knew I was taking a big chance driving another company's truck but I couldn't stand to watch her anymore. I even offer to help her while she was in the drivers seat but she insisted on me doing it. She was by herself :cry: This is what it has come to with Swift. There is no way she should have been on her own. I can't imagine how many things she had run into since turning her loose. There is something seriously wrong with a company that lets someone like that go on their own. :sad: You are entitled to your opinion just like I am mine. This is mine so deal with it!

I drive for Werner right now..and last Week when i was at the pilot EX 213 Greenville VA I backed up 2 independant O/O trucks into a slot for them these guys own their own trucks under their own authority , and have been holding the wheel for years....What I'm saying is some people will never be able to drive no matter how long they drive......
Old 09-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="Skullitor"]

My Sister would eat you up and spit you out! You would still be shaking your head and saying "What happened???"!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 09-21-2006, 12:53 AM
Senior Board Member

I think that you'll br FAR better off with The Pumpkin than with CRST or Swift.

I never drove for Schnieder, but I did talk to them before I started driving, and I found them to be very professional in my dealings with them.

They are the only training company that I know of that offers skid pad training, and that is something that I would love to try!!I think that their training program is impressive, too!!

BOL 2U!!
Old 09-21-2006, 01:03 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="Goin Fer It"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullitor

My Sister would eat you up and spit you out! You would still be shaking your head and saying "What happened???"!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Where did you get that quote? I never said anything about my sister. :x
Old 09-21-2006, 04:33 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="Skullitor"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullitor

Goin Fer It's Wife
Where did you get that quote? I never said anything about my sister. :x
On your location! You would not be in my sisters room!

Goin Fer It's Wife