User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2006, 05:07 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

By saying that they are all built the same I mean that they are all built with quality parts. True, there are probably 20 things built better on a Pete, but there are another 20 things built better on a Freightliner. It's basically a wash if the trucks are new and well maintained. Freightliners will have a lower per mile total operating cost, but that is mainly because the Detroit engines are much more fuel efficient than the CAT's are. It can be as much as 2 mpg difference depending upon how you drive. If you're talking about decking a Pete out with all the chrome they do have a higher initial cost, but if you're talking about just buying a truck straight off the showroom floor there's not much difference in initial cost. In my new job, I've had the opportunity to price Kenworth's, Pete's and FL's and all three have a cost of approx 110-115K straight off the floor. Not much difference at all on the frontend, but on a resale a KW will be much higher that either a Pete or FL.

A big plus, driver related, to Maverick utilizing the more fuel efficient Detroit engine is the fuel bonus that they offer. If you can manage to get 7 mpg, which I did consistently, you will make an extra 2 cpm for all miles driven in the form of a fuel bonus. That can be an extra 2500-3000 bucks per year and could be higher still if you choose to drive a little slower. You may get a little less miles that way, but I do know that the highest paid driver at Maverick last year averaged 52 mph. He runs a covered wagon up here in the rust belt and you don't get a lot of chances to do much better than 55 in OH, IL & PA anyway.

As for percentage being higher than cpm, that really all depends even for a new driver. Maverick advertises that you will be at 40 cpm within 6 months. I was at 40 cpm in 2 1/2 months and know several others who got the bump in pay just as early. Ex. say you run 2700 miles @ 40 cpm with Maverick = $1080... or you bring $3600 in revenue to the truck @ 30% with TMC = $1080... Sure you'll have $4000 weeks with TMC, but you'll also have 3000 mile weeks with Maverick. Throw in all the extra tarp pay and bonuses available with each company and it's really a wash.

Believe me guys I went through both of these companies with a fine-tooth comb before deciding which one to go with and there's not a helluva lot of difference, IMO. I don't have any direct experience with TMC, but I have talked to many of their drivers and I have enough friends there that I know a fair amount about them. Both will pay you a very good wage IF you are willing earn that money. Maverick's bennies for a family will run you 69 bucks per week, TMC will run you 70 bucks. TMC trucks are governed at 65, Maverick's are governed at 70 mph. TMC will give you nice new Pete and Maverick will give a nice new FL. Both companies pick up and deliver at a LOT of the same companies and both have excellent securement practices. Some loads will pay higher at 40 cpm and some will pay higher at 30%, but neither company hauls much cheap freight! When you get down to brass tacks there just really isn't much of a difference. I've seen enough to know that they truly are the 2 best flatbed companies out there and no one else is even close.

We can go round and round in this endless circle of who's better and we will never really get anywhere! Truthfully what we should be doing is teaming up against the true evils of the flatbed world like BTC & Arrow! Don't know about y'all, but they scare the hell out of me! Anytime I loaded beside a BTC truck I couldn't wait to get as far away from him as possible and I saw more Arrow trucks sitting alongside the interstate with a shifted load than any other flatbed outfit out there.

BTW, I just got a card in the mail from TMC's recruiting dept the other day saying that I was still approved and asking me to contact them. Maybe I'll just go to work for them for a while and compare apples to apples and we can settle this debate once and for all?... :wink:
Old 10-30-2006, 08:20 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Earth, North America, North, East, 9th State, 42° 56' 1" N, 72° 16' 41" W

[quote="redsfan"]By saying that they are all built the same I mean that they are all built with quality parts. True, there are probably 20 things built better on a Pete, but there are another 20 things built better on a Freightliner. It's basically a wash if the trucks are new and well maintained. Freightliners will have a lower per mile total operating cost, but that is mainly because the Detroit engines are much more fuel efficient than the CAT's are. It can be as much as 2 mpg difference depending upon how you drive. If you're talking about decking a Pete out with all the chrome they do have a higher initial cost, but if you're talking about just buying a truck straight off the showroom floor there's not much difference in initial cost. In my new job, I've had the opportunity to price Kenworth's, Pete's and FL's and all three have a cost of approx 110-115K straight off the floor. Not much difference at all on the frontend, but on a resale a KW will be much higher that either a Pete or FL.

A big plus, driver related, to Maverick utilizing the more fuel efficient Detroit engine is the fuel bonus that they offer. If you can manage to get 7 mpg, which I did consistently, you will make an extra 2 cpm for all miles driven in the form of a fuel bonus. That can be an extra 2500-3000 bucks per year and could be higher still if you choose to drive a little slower. You may get a little less miles that way, but I do know that the highest paid driver at Maverick last year averaged 52 mph. He runs a covered wagon up here in the rust belt and you don't get a lot of chances to do much better than 55 in OH, IL & PA anyway.

As for percentage being higher than cpm, that really all depends even for a new driver. Maverick advertises that you will be at 40 cpm within 6 months. I was at 40 cpm in 2 1/2 months and know several others who got the bump in pay just as early. Ex. say you run 2700 miles @ 40 cpm with Maverick = $1080... or you bring $3600 in revenue to the truck @ 30% with TMC = $1080... Sure you'll have $4000 weeks with TMC, but you'll also have 3000 mile weeks with Maverick. Throw in all the extra tarp pay and bonuses available with each company and it's really a wash.

Believe me guys I went through both of these companies with a fine-tooth comb before deciding which one to go with and there's not a helluva lot of difference, IMO. I don't have any direct experience with TMC, but I have talked to many of their drivers and I have enough friends there that I know a fair amount about them. Both will pay you a very good wage IF you are willing earn that money. Maverick's bennies for a family will run you 69 bucks per week, TMC will run you 70 bucks. TMC trucks are governed at 65, Maverick's are governed at 70 mph. TMC will give you nice new Pete and Maverick will give a nice new FL. Both companies pick up and deliver at a LOT of the same companies and both have excellent securement practices. Some loads will pay higher at 40 cpm and some will pay higher at 30%, but neither company hauls much cheap freight! When you get down to brass tacks there just really isn't much of a difference. I've seen enough to know that they truly are the 2 best flatbed companies out there and no one else is even close.

We can go round and round in this endless circle of who's better and we will never really get anywhere! Truthfully what we should be doing is teaming up against the true evils of the flatbed world like BTC & Arrow! Don't know about y'all, but they scare the hell out of me! Anytime I loaded beside a BTC truck I couldn't wait to get as far away from him as possible and I saw more Arrow trucks sitting alongside the interstate with a shifted load than any other flatbed outfit out there.

BTW, I just got a card in the mail from TMC's recruiting dept the other day saying that I was still approved and asking me to contact them. Maybe I'll just go to work for them for a while and compare apples to apples and we can settle this debate once and for all?... :wink:[/quote

I agree with everything except, and I apologize, Freightliners suck.

A guy that I went to driving school with last year decided to go with Arrow instead of TMC because...Arrow paid for Idle-Aire. He was the best driver in our class too. I am sure he is with someone else now.

Not to worry, I just got my "call the recruiter" card from TMC and I work for them!
Proverbs 12:24, God, A really long time ago.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfan
We can go round and round in this endless circle of who's better and we will never really get anywhere!
That is about the best statement on this subject. I started looking into trucking back at the end of 2004 and heard it said another way by some here on this board as, "what works for me may not work for you."

Some drivers will love and do well at one company when the very next driver will hate it and leave. There is no rhyme or reason it is just finding the company that best fits your needs and wants. Make a list of your needs and wants and then research companies until you find the best possible fit. But be prepared that it still will not be perfect and you might need to try a few out before finding the best one for you.

Find the one you are prepared to live with that best meets your needs. Then go to work and please drive safe.......because some of us look forward to getting home in one piece.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Rookie

All the info that you Mav and TMC drivers provide is very appreciated. I'm a little lets just say precarious about securment and tarping as far as it being a lot of work. I love a challenge, but i'm thinking about long term, day after day will i want to make a career in the flatbed industry, that's the question i ask myself.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfan
By saying that they are all built the same I mean that they are all built with quality parts. True, there are probably 20 things built better on a Pete, but there are another 20 things built better on a Freightliner. It's basically a wash if the trucks are new and well maintained. Freightliners will have a lower per mile total operating cost, but that is mainly because the Detroit engines are much more fuel efficient than the CAT's are. It can be as much as 2 mpg difference depending upon how you drive. If you're talking about decking a Pete out with all the chrome they do have a higher initial cost, but if you're talking about just buying a truck straight off the showroom floor there's not much difference in initial cost. In my new job, I've had the opportunity to price Kenworth's, Pete's and FL's and all three have a cost of approx 110-115K straight off the floor. Not much difference at all on the frontend, but on a resale a KW will be much higher that either a Pete or FL.

BTW, I just got a card in the mail from TMC's recruiting dept the other day saying that I was still approved and asking me to contact them. Maybe I'll just go to work for them for a while and compare apples to apples and we can settle this debate once and for all?... :wink:
couldn't be stated any better than that
Old 11-01-2006, 05:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm96merc
All the info that you Mav and TMC drivers provide is very appreciated. I'm a little lets just say precarious about securment and tarping as far as it being a lot of work. I love a challenge, but i'm thinking about long term, day after day will i want to make a career in the flatbed industry, that's the question i ask myself.
I wondered that too in the beginning but now I'm glad I made the choice to pull flats rather than vans. Why? A few reasons:

In the beginning, driving a big truck in itself is exciting but gets old real fast. My enjoyment comes from the daily challenge of having different loads all the time and figuring out how to secure them properly. It's often a challenge and gives me a feeling of accomplishment when I stand back and look at what I did. Most of the shippers and some of the consignees are often large manufacturing plants or enormous job sites where I get to see (and sometimes "play with") all sorts of large machinery. I meet a wide variety of blue collar workers every day who usually know and APPRECIATE what we do as flatbedders on a day to day basis. On the road, in truck stops and at our customers, I'm usually treated pretty well and I'm never bored.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm96merc
This all depends on you're definition of hard work. If someone is used to sitting around all day, eating Bon-Bons and Cheetos and watching "All My Children" then it may be hard work for you. I'm not saying this is you, just illustrating my point.

If, however, you have actually worked hard, performing farm work, construction or some other type of manual labor on a daily basis, flatbed work will be a breeze. Sure, I would sweat, grunt and get dirty, but it's not like you are doing that all day long. Basically, you may actually work hard for up to an hour per day. I would liken it to going to the gym and getting in a decent 20-30 minute workout per day. Some days it will be a breeze and others you will work harder, but it is most likely not going to kill you. Look at it this way, you are going to get a halfway decent workout on most days and this will help you to keep in shape. You most likely won't look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his glory days, but you may not look like the 400 lb guy that you can see rolling out of a truck in flip-flops and sweat pants at just about any truck stop you roll into...
Old 11-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonSeggern

I agree with everything except, and I apologize, Freightliners suck.

A guy that I went to driving school with last year decided to go with Arrow instead of TMC because...Arrow paid for Idle-Aire. He was the best driver in our class too. I am sure he is with someone else now.

Not to worry, I just got my "call the recruiter" card from TMC and I work for them!
No need to apologize to me, that's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it.

I could see the Idle-Aire as a nice little perk, but I don't know that I would choose a company based upon that. Kinda like Fred said about higher training pay, I agree it is nice, but that should be on the list of "Pros vs. Cons" and not necessarily the deciding factor. Heck, Arrow may be a great place to work, but based upon what I've seen, I don't think they're for me.

I actually thought the card from TMC was a nice touch. It showed me that they did actually keep my info on file like they said they would, but they're not so desperate that they resort to calling me 3 times every single day like some other companies.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Senior Board Member

vonSeggern, did you vote here?
http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...er=asc&start=0

I agree, Freightliners SUCK!
Old 11-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Rookie

Thanks fred and redsfan, i feel a little bit better now about what to expect. I have not done a lot of farm and construction work, the job i resigned from wasn't all peaches and cream. I was a delivery driver for a uniform manufacturing company. Loaded and unloaded fabric, trash, sewing machines, pallets, and anything else you can get on a straight truck all day for almost 2 years. Worked in the rain, cold, and definitely in the South Georgia heat. The truck i drove was a 1973 GMC 4800 with no power steering or A.C. so I have had a lil taste of "roughing it". :wink: