User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2006, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

"...honestly I don't think I have what it takes."

With an attitude like this, you probably will fail at anything you try. Why do you not think you have what it takes? I have less trucking experience than you, I barely got my CDL and have no trucking experience other than school. My attitude is that TMC is lucky to get me, I will be one of their best drivers if not the best given time.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar

With an attitude like this, you probably will fail at anything you try. Why do you not think you have what it takes? I have less trucking experience than you, I barely got my CDL and have no trucking experience other than school. My attitude is that TMC is lucky to get me, I will be one of their best drivers if not the best given time.
You could be right, I don't have any long haul experience, it just sounds intimidating. I've been wrong before... I should have phrased it "I would prefer regional, because that's my thing."

CROCS ARE NOT SHOES
Old 11-22-2006, 02:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbeauford
Quote:

You could be right, I don't have any long haul experience, it just sounds intimidating. I've been wrong before... I should have phrased it "I would prefer regional, because that's my thing."
Look at TMC's hiring area on their Website, if you fall within the boundaries, you are Line Haul. If you are outside the boundary you are Long Haul. If you are Line Haul you can choose to be Long Haul, or you can stay Line Haul and tell your dispatcher you want a Long Haul run as often as you want. You can ask for Regional or Dedicated if you are from that area. My explanation is as it was given to me at Orientation. If I am wrong a TMC Driver will correct me when they come along.

In my opinion you need to work on your belief that you will probably fail. If you believe it, it will become as self fulfilling prophecy.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:56 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: questions from a rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterbeauford
Hey guys, I spent the last hour reading this thread. Hats off to Fred for his website. Any advice you guys can offer is appreciated, might be a little long...

I live in western PA and the brand new TMC Pete 379 parked at my local Walmart turns my head when I see it every weekend. Some background, I am a soon to be college grad working for my family's bankrupt trucking company. Long story short, the company is for sale, and if you drive for Zumstein, we may be meeting in the near future, assuming I don't quit between now and then.

Frustrated with the way things are going, I would not mind hitting the road for a professional trucking company for a change. I have had a clean class A for almost 2 years, though I only have around 50,000 miles driving experience because I work primarily in maintenance and safety, I'm not a full time driver. I have no flatbed experience other than hauling a bulldozer 12 miles on a lowboy.

Would TMC hire me? What can they offer me? Regional dedicated? Long haul is just not my thing. I really respect you guys who can do it, honestly I don't think I have what it takes. Do they let you take your truck home? There is a nice place to park right off I80 exit 24, close to home. What do you think?
Thanks for the compliments. Where you live is considered a line-haul area so yes you can get that position no problem. You'll run OTR during the week and be home on the weekends.
You didn't say HOW you got your CDL (accredited school, self taught, company educated etc) so I can't say if you will require any schooling. If you pass the application process and hire on with TMC, we'll take care of teaching you "how to flatbed". Yes you WILL take your truck home.
There are numerous dedicated opportunities within PA along I-80 and availability will depend on open slots when you finish orientation and training with TMC and your abilities demonstrated as a driver. Right now these dedicated accounts are "Home Weekend" type accounts. The difference between these and normal OTR driving is that typically on a dedicated account, you'll be hauling the same material for the same customer.

Any questions feel free to call me at the toll free number below or email me. My address is on my website.

Good Luck to ya driver.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:58 AM

Quote:
In my opinion you need to work on your belief that you will probably fail. If you believe it, it will become as self fulfilling prophecy.
I know, you're right, been having a hard time at work lately, if that's an excuse.

I hadn't driven in 3 months until today, been asking for miles for a couple weeks and I got sent on an 80 mile round trip to pick up an empty trailer. So you can see why I want to get into a nice truck and just go.

CROCS ARE NOT SHOES
Old 11-22-2006, 03:05 AM
Default Re: questions from a rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
You didn't say HOW you got your CDL (accredited school, self taught, company educated etc) so I can't say if you will require any schooling.
I trained with my company.

Thanks for the info!

CROCS ARE NOT SHOES
Old 11-22-2006, 03:30 AM
Senior Board Member

You're welcome. i sent u a PM too.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:45 PM

It looks like i finally have a trainer and just think i only have to drive 1,148 miles to meet him in Bedford,ILL i guess i will be out on the road for 6 weeks straight
Old 11-22-2006, 08:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motman68
It looks like i finally have a trainer and just think i only have to drive 1,148 miles to meet him in Bedford,ILL i guess i will be out on the road for 6 weeks straight
Not REALLY. You will get to spend the weekends in a hotel near your trainer's house. The 6 weeks will pass QUICK I assure you. It will be hard being away from family for that long but it does get easier and in the long run, will help you feel better when away from home for a week at a time. (If you remain line-haul).
Hang in there. The job IS worth it. Soon the next 6 weeks will seem only a distant memory!
Old 11-23-2006, 12:24 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Earth, North America, North, East, 9th State, 42° 56' 1" N, 72° 16' 41" W

Yep, there is one trainer in New England, that would be me. Sorry rawlco and motman, I had to boot a trainee and they had a guy last week who won't be done until Christmas. You guys met him in Des Moines. I feel bad for you guys. Then I am taking a few weeks to head out and see my kid in NM.
Not sure motman but I think TMC wants you to learn your craft before you get a dedicated run, especially if you are completely new. Hang in there.
Proverbs 12:24, God, A really long time ago.