User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well, i guess I need to retract my statements I made in regards to Star Transport in Morton Ill. Shortly after I posted my reply, mileage began to fall. Now I know mileage suffers during the holidays, or so most trucking companies tell me, so I was pretty tolerant during December, and January, even when my mileage was averaging less than 1000 miles per week over the last 9 weeks. I asked my dispatcher if he could try to get my mileage back up a little and was told "it's slow during the holidays, freight will pick up the middle of Jan." At the end of January, I was told freight would pick up "eventually" I spoke with the lead dispatcher Brian Perdue, and was told he would get my mileage back up...3 more weeks, I told the lead dispatcher I was turning in a 2 weeks notice, and would send 1 in writing in a trip pack. From that point on I caught hell, until the day i turned my truck in. The night I returned to Morton to turn in my truck, is was snowing and sleeting very hard, so no one from the shop would come out to look at it. It was too late to catch the 6:00 bus, so I had to walk to the Days Inn ( no one would give me a ride that 4/10th of a mile) not that it was that far, but when you have your personal belongings, at 11:00 at night in the snow and freezing rain, it makes for a long walk. The next morning, my cell phone rang...It was my dispatcher wanting to know if I had indeed quit...I told him yes, and asked if there were any trucks going to Bartonville I could catch a ride to the airport with. I was told there were no trucks going that way, and I was on my own! After a $30.00 taxi ride, I finally made it to the airport, where it was going to be $85.00 + gas for a rental car, or $99.00 for a bus ticket, I opted for the rental car and drove myself home in about half the time of a bus ride. This deal with Star has definately left a bad taste in my mouth. I tried to do the right thing, by working a notice and returning my truck to them.All I got in return was a lot of bad attitudes from Star office workers and an empty bank account.
At the beginning of April, I received a letter from Star offering a bonus to come back. For curosity sake I called Dan to see what the conditions of my return would be, and I was told it is noted under my driver code "Never Rehire"
The moral of the story...it cost big money to get home if things don't work out...TRY TO FIND A COMPANY FAIRLY CLOSE TO HOME!!!
Scott
Old 05-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Senior Board Member

All too common an occurrance, it seems... One owner-op told me he had put ' abanodoned a truck' on a drivers dac after the driver quit and parked it at his house. The owner demanded for the driver to drive it to him, driver declined. I bet there was no compensation intended for the delivery of the truck...I wouldnt have delivered it either...I declined the O/O's job offer.

I think legally you have to arrange for an employee's return to his home on the employers dime.
Just for reference: In most countries there are laws to protect employees and they are enforced. Work-contracts are legally required for full-time employees...
Old 05-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD2312
I tried to do the right thing, by working a notice and returning my truck to them.All I got in return was a lot of bad attitudes from Star office workers and an empty bank account.
Yes, you did the right thing...which is admirable, seriously. And its sad that they stooped to what they did. Your experience should serve as a warning to others. Because it could happen to them.

Quote:
At the beginning of April, I received a letter from Star offering a bonus to come back. For curosity sake I called Dan to see what the conditions of my return would be, and I was told it is noted under my driver code "Never Rehire"
The moral of the story...it cost big money to get home if things don't work out...TRY TO FIND A COMPANY FAIRLY CLOSE TO HOME!!!
Scott
Isn't it amazing how some companies will treat a driver? Speaks very poorly of the company. Did you happen to write a letter to the President of the company outlining what happened, and how you were treated when you turned in the truck? He's probably usually hunkered down in his ivory tower....and most likely was if he allows his company to operate that way.

Yes, it can be a problem if things turn out bad..... but I have to disagree that you need to go with a company close to home. I've been with CFI, and have never had reason to quit. So, there are companies out there that won't catch you in a bind, and who will treat you like an adult, and they will act like professionals.

One just has to do "due dilligence"....and really check a company out before they go there. Failure to do so, may have bad consequences. I'm not inferring that you didn't....I'm just speaking generically.

I hope sincerely that you have found someone good to work or drive for!
BOL

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:50 AM
Rookie

If you were a little closer I could get you a job driving locally home daily with the company I work for. Eby Brown. Get paid hourly and work 4 days a week like 60 hrs a week I think. Its like 10 or 11 hr days. Unloading trucks delivering goods like cigerattes and gatorade and candy to convience stores. Eby Brown is looking for new drivers. Its located about 40 miles nw of atl. Near the floyd county area
Old 05-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Rookie

I don't think I will bother to waste my time writing a letter to the president of Star, or spend another dime even in the form of a postage stamp, as my wallet is already a couple hundred dollars lighter after getting back to the house. We were all told in orientation, if we decided to leave, and did the "right thing" Star would provide a bus ticket home. I am still currently looking for another company to drive for. I spoke with Samantha at CFI, and she has gotten me approved. She told me I would have to go out with a trainer for 2 weeks, and attend orientation in Joplin. Also I spoke with Roehl, and they are sending me some information.
I am not really that far from Floyd county, I have a neighbor who works in Rome and says the commute is about 45 minutes. Since I left Star, (and please try not to hurt yourself laughing) I have been driving a school bus. I have a clean 7 year MVR, a clean criminal background, so I feel comfortable with the fact that I will find a good company to drive for.
Thanks for everyones support in this matter.
Scott
Old 05-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Rookie

I also should have mentioned that I'm really not sure who the president of Star is anymore (since the owner accidentally got caught with one of the secretary's) I heard rumors his wife was now running Star, but I honestly don't know who I was working for!
Old 05-04-2006, 01:47 AM

Quote:
TD2312
I don't think I will bother to waste my time writing a letter to the president of Star,

We were all told in orientation, if we decided to leave, and did the "right thing" Star would provide a bus ticket home.

Dude, that is EXACTLY the reason to write the President a letter.

At the very least, you'll let the person in charge know how their company treats it's drivers -which can only bite them in the A$$ eventually-, and possibly stop this from happening to some other guy.
At best, the President will offer an apology and "do the right thing" by mailing you a check for your expenses.

Either way, you'll learn what kind of company they really are directly from the people at the top.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Board Regular

Why is it so hard to find a decent company to drive for these days are they all just money hungry idiots are what ? What ever happened to wanting a good driving force in trucking and not treating ppl like crap seems when these company's get their 6 months to a year out of a newbie they toss them away for the next ones to come along and god forbid their actually be a driver that has been with a company for yrs that poor guy is working his butt off to make what they are paying new drivers now . Sad thing in all this is now the problems gonna get a lot worse instead of better . Make a difference write the president of the company and ask him if he really knows how his ppl are treated if he don't he needs to leave his nice leather chair and go see .Sorry if I over spoke myself . Thanks Angel
Old 10-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Go to LTL...If i remember correctly, youre in NwGA, well Wilson has a terminal in Ringgold, I75 ex.350 next to freightliner and Covington Diesel.