User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
But, if we get Hobo in here, it will take her two weeks to read the answer.:clap:

HEY! I RESEMBLE that remark! :lol2:

Just found this thread, and already it is too much to digest with the few beers left in my fridge!

Keep your pants on.... I'll get around to it as soon as I can! And yes.... it will probably cost you a few weeks to read my answers!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
HEY! I RESEMBLE that remark! :lol2:

Just found this thread, and already it is too much to digest with the few beers left in my fridge!

Keep your pants on.... I'll get around to it as soon as I can! And yes.... it will probably cost you a few weeks to read my answers!
Take your time. I'm headed out to Jersey, after a false start yesterday. Won't be back online till I get back. But I don't know if I'll have a week to read what you've written when I do get back.

In case I'm a bit late, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all the Dads out there.

Archeology says that Cro-magnon co-existed with Neanderthal for a couple of thousand years. While Neanderthal was about 5 foot, Cro-magnon was about 8 foot tall, more agile, and thought to be more intelligent.

Would there have been prejudice between the two?

And, the sons of GOD saw that the daughters of man were fair and took them for wives, all that they would...

Looking at human nature, Cro-magnon and Neanderthal might have been at war with each other. Cro-magnon would also have had superior weapons (or so it is believed by science) which would support a theory that they would have killed Neanderthal man, and taken Neanderthal woman for a wife. (Refer to the thread in "WOMEN IN TRUCKING" where I talked about the difference in hunting rabbits with a male or female dog) Doing so would follow right along with the nature of the male of the species.

And, they bore sons onto them...

Why does the Bible only list the ones it does? If all men lived to be that old, why are only a few mentioned? Why were these so notable? And, since Noah lived to be 800 years old, it would suggest that he was also a product of "The Sons of GOD" and "Daughters of Man". That would make us all a product of the two.

But, looking up the year of the flood, it does not match, even with the five hundred years difference between the Bible and science. Or, are there even more inaccuracies?

Old 06-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Apart of me wants to get into this dicsussion, but the other part knows better.. I would just end up contradicting myself anyway. Right now my mind is still fighting that enime within. I don't even think I could talk in circles anymore. But I will keep in touch with this thread and if anything does compell me I will comment on it..
Thanks for the invite WindWalker.

Slimland
I will be the judge
And the jury

Neil Peart
Old 06-19-2009, 12:11 AM
Senior Board Member

As a believer living in christ i wanna chime in but i dont think i should.............
Old 06-19-2009, 12:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Everyone is so afraid to chime in! The bible is such an interesting book to study. There is so much going on, and quite often a single verse can be taken in thousands of different ways to mean something very unique to each person. I found the BEST way to study the bible, was to use it as its own verification, if a verse says something, I look for a passage elsewhere to reinforce it. If I am uncertain of a meaning then I look at the original language, and build up this picture that it is trying to draw.

Quite honestly I am a scientific person by nature, very inquisitive, always looking for the way things work, always trying to understand it, so for me Christianity is a very tough religion to actually follow, though I believe in God, and I believe what that bible says, even though I don't always live by it. But at any rate, I have come to so many interesting revelations if you will from that book, things man would of never known at the time it was written! It just doesn't always make sense to us today because we have a different view of the world.

Take for example the book of revelation, a very interesting book, one of my favorites, and also one of the most difficult to study. There is a passage referring to a plaque of locusts, which will seak out and kill, here is a passage based on the New Living Translation
Quote:
Revelation 9

The Fifth Trumpet Brings the First Terror

1 Then the fifth angel blew his trumpet, and I saw a star that had fallen to earth from the sky, and he was given the key to the shaft of the bottomless pit.[a] 2 When he opened it, smoke poured out as though from a huge furnace, and the sunlight and air turned dark from the smoke.
3 Then locusts came from the smoke and descended on the earth, and they were given power to sting like scorpions. 4 They were told not to harm the grass or plants or trees, but only the people who did not have the seal of God on their foreheads. 5 They were told not to kill them but to torture them for five months with pain like the pain of a scorpion sting. 6 In those days people will seek death but will not find it. They will long to die, but death will flee from them!

7 The locusts looked like horses prepared for battle. They had what looked like gold crowns on their heads, and their faces looked like human faces. 8 They had hair like women’s hair and teeth like the teeth of a lion. 9 They wore armor made of iron, and their wings roared like an army of chariots rushing into battle. 10 They had tails that stung like scorpions, and for five months they had the power to torment people. 11 Their king is the angel from the bottomless pit; his name in Hebrew is Abaddon, and in Greek, Apollyon—the Destroyer.

12 The first terror is past, but look, two more terrors are coming!
Lets look at a locust

Now think about what a locust looks like for a minute, and consider their description of it.

Now look at this picture and tell me what you think that passage is describing.

Tell me what image fits more in with the passage?

I am not saying a helicopter is the answer, but I am saying it makes much more sense then a locust. When it was written the person that wrote what he say in his vision had no clue what a helicopter was, but he knew what a locust was, and knew that a helicopter looks a lot like a locust, not to mention the things this creature in this passage is doing, how it sounds, etc.

Ohh by the way, helicopters can easily be used for chemical warfare, something that can be so horrible in effect to you, but not actually kill you.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 06-19-2009, 01:09 AM
Senior Board Member

The person who wrote revelations was john of patmos, who was a pastor and a poet. Just like the bible says this was a revelation as to what is to come, when i read revelations i truly am imaging huge locusts with human faces and armor. I think its VERY HARD for anyone even believers to wrap their mind around revelations. I try to take it word for word.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:10 AM
Senior Board Member

how well do i believe the bible...%100!!!
Old 06-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27208 View Post
The person who wrote revelations was john of patmos, who was a pastor and a poet. Just like the bible says this was a revelation as to what is to come, when i read revelations i truly am imaging huge locusts with human faces and armor. I think its VERY HARD for anyone even believers to wrap their mind around revelations. I try to take it word for word.
Remember it is not known and believed to be a different John then the apostle John . Well you can take it word for word, but remember it is a vision of the future, one filled with things technologically far beyond what was understood at the time of its writing.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 06-20-2009, 04:43 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

OK, I have to chime in and I'll hit a couple of points. Yes, I had a few moments today and this topic was absolutely begging for a post from me. :thumbsup: So here I am for another brief interlude.

Do I believe in the Bible? Absolutely 100%. Do I believe in evolution? Absolutely 100%.

Here's how I see it and it all keys on a "day" to God. I honestly don't understand how the literalists can tag God with a 24-hour day. Who's to say that a day to God isn't millions of years to us? If you stop trying to fit God into what we mortals can comprehend, then it all fits into place. If a day to God is millions of years to us, then it stands to reason that the evolution of millions of species over millions of years is all part of those seven "days" of creation...well, six when you factor out the Sabbath.

And the proof is there in countless fossil finds and our scientific abilities to now understand their meaning.

However, I draw the line at believing we evolved from chimps and apes. Here's why:

Do I believe Adam and Eve were the first mortal man and woman on earth? Yes I do, some 6,000 to 8,000 years ago, depending on how you view the timelines back then.

Do I believe in neanderthals, cro magnum man, and other "near" humans? Yes, I do, but I do not believe they are any relation to us today or Adam and Eve back then. I simply believe they are the natural evolutionary path of other simian type animals, nothing more. Maybe in another million years, the chimpanzees and apes of today would evolve into similar species.

Is it out of the question for something to evolve and be "close" to human? Hardly. Many animals today possess human traits, either inherent, evolved, or by mimicry. Take dolphins...a species that by all appearances and scientific study, possess a vocabulary and mastery of language that far outclasses our own. Dogs can be taught by humans to both understand us and to follow commands; parrots and other birds mimic and in many instances, understand human speech; chimps possess the ability to use tools, reason out problems, and live in communities. The list is endless. All of these are traits that humans possess, but none of those animals are human. So why is it not any different than with near humans of the past?

The fact is, science has proven that evolution is a part of our world's history. There is simply no refuting it - the evidence is there. Evolution is right. However, by the same token, there is also no evidence to disprove that God is behind all of this. There is no evidence to disprove His hand in all things. So by the very fact of not being able to disprove it, creation is right, too.

So why can't we learn about both in schools? issedoff: I'll back off that topic immediately and move on to the next.

The Book of Revelations and other end-times prophecy.

I've made it a habit to study this for many, many years. And I'll tell you what I do know - that is that I know very little. I understand a lot of it and where things are going, but I don't "know" what it all means.

I think the Book of Revelations is absolutely the scariest book ever written, at least for a believer. But there's are many scriptures in a variety of different books in the Bible, that speak of the final days and all of them point to the same thing - it's going to be rough sailing for a while.

I personally believe we've been in the final days for a number of years now. I don't believe in the literal 7 years of tribulation, nor do I believe in the fantasy of a "rapture." It's a nice thought, sure, but it's a man-made term for a man-man belief. No, I believe we'll be here and the fact that we are here right now, bears that out.

Look around you. The plagues, the violence of the planet earth, the wars and rumors of wars...they are all here. The United States is in decline; God is being pushed aside for the words of man; the atrocities that man visits upon man get worse every day, everywhere you look, you shake your head in sadness at what you see. The stage is set...

...and the last act is about to begin. We're less than a heartbeat away from someone - be it a terrorist or a rogue nation - detonating a nuke against an enemy. Will that be Al Queda nuking one of our cities? Will it be Iran nuking Israel? Will it be North Korea nuking South Korea or Japan or Hawaii? Whatever the case, it's inevitable and probably no more than a year or two away at the most. And when that happens, the dam will break and then it will be a quick slide to the bottom and the short reign of the antichrist.

It's a tough world we live in. It's tough to be a believer and it's tough to be a non-believer, in my own personal opinion. I hold nothing against those that don't believe in God, though I honestly do sometimes wonder if there is anything to look forward to if you don't believe in God and His plan. Personally, as I watch the rapid deterioration of this world, I find that I take great comfort in knowing that it's all part of His plan and that whatever happens, the outcome is already decided. But others don't believe that and for me, that's OK. We all have our free will to believe what we will and to each his own.

But regardless of what you believe, no one can dispute the fact that we live in perilous and nearly disastrous times.

All the best everybody. Hopefully this gives a few of you something to chew on. And keep the discussion civil. :thumbsup:

Old 06-21-2009, 02:15 AM
Senior Board Member

i dont think i could and dont believe what a scientist tells me and what the bible says, you have to choose one or the other. And if your a believer then its the bible, no if, ands, or buts, about it! At least i would like to think that, but there are so many people in this world nowadays who claim to be christian, who make no practice of even picking up a bible. They claim to be religious, and its about your relationship with god not religion. But, then again you can study the bible for years and years and still not be saved. Not implying anyone here, but i just keep going back to the original question of "how well do you believe the bible"

Tags
don't believe it at all, don't know much about it, historical record only, word for word