User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default 24 and 48 caught CHEATING at Sonoma

Both Jeff Gordon and Jimmy Johnson's cars were caught in pre practice inspection with fenders that were too wide. Nascar is refusing to allow them to practice and qualify for the race they will both start from the rear of the field. HMS has admitted to cheating on the fendes inquestion saying they thought that Nascar would not measure that area since it was not a specified area. Any guesses on the penalties here since Jr got hit with 100 points 100K and Eury got nailed for an old COT wing bracket.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:10 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Ooops. Well, shoot, there went my picks. :P

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 06-23-2007, 06:10 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Not a Johnson or a Gordon Fan BUT NASCAR said the cars fit the Templates AND nothing was done Illegally But they went ahead and Penalized both of them because of a "Gray area"
BS
NASCAR with their Monopoly on Sponsors and some of these BS Penalties is gonna cost them.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Board Icon

Iron, it's not cheating. The area in question was not specified in the rule book or templates for the COT that it had to be a certain angle, therefore they did not break any rule. They tried exploiting a flaw in the system and NASCAR didn't like that so they penalized both. Happens all the time, NASCAR will now go back and put in a rule for the front fenders, "Must be flat across the top." Do you think these teams have gotten these cars running so hard becuase they followed the rule book to the "T"?? Now, they looked for "gray areas" or stuff not specified in the rule book and exploited it. Sometimes NASCAR is ok with it, sometimes they aren't. Remember Gordon's T-Rex car he used to win the All-Star race?? It was perfectly legal but NASCAR told them to never bring the car to another race or they would penalize the team by parking them or at least 1 race and would take the car from them for good. The chassis was a new fangeled stiff as crap one that made the car stick better in the corners but if you wiped out, it was going to be like a concrete wall hitting a concrete wall at 190 mph. NASCAR didn't like the stiffness of it for safety reasons.

Penalties, maybe not quite as severe as Jr's. Jr's was messing with the rear wing which NASCAR said was a big no-no. Maybe a 3 race suspension for the crew chiefs because it was the COT and a large fine. I expect no points to be taken away since it was an opening day inspection, not something that was monkied around with during a Saturday practice session.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:50 PM

Remember this though Robin Pemberton and Mike Helton Have both said you ever mess with the COT at all you will be punished SEVERLY. Yes what they were doing was a gray area however HMS had 2 other cars that did get thru with no problems at all that being the 25 and 5. The feeling on other boards are bigger fines that what Junior got since the parts his team was using actually were and Nascar did admit it were older APPROVED parts that were redsigned and should have been destroyed but had been missed. However what Chad and Jeff's Crew cheif did was way beyond what Eury even thought of doing.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Board Icon

Nobody in the garage will ever take Robin Pemberton serious, he was the biggest offender of trying to break NASCAR rules while a crew chief. That's why NASCAR hired him, nobody could outthink him when it came to breaking rules or being creative and they still rarely do beat him.

The 25 and 5 got thru because their cars are in an entirely different shop than the 24 and 48. 2 different building crews, 2 different cars.

Those deck mounts were never approved for competition on Jr's car. They were also found at Happy Hour, Eury Jr was trying to slip one by NASCAR on a rule that WAS in the book. The 24 and 48's was found in opening inspection and was not breaking an existing rule. The only thing they broke was NASCAR's unspoken rule: "Please don't try to slip one by us that is considered a gray area." Teams get busted every week with opening day inspections and only receive small monetary fines. It's when you get busted at Happy Hour or raceday that you get major penalties.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Board Icon

what the bottom line is that every single crew chief will look at specs and rules and if something isn't mentioned in those two things they'll move into the "Grey" area and getting punished for something that's not in the books is BS.
What Jr. did WAS in the books
Old 06-24-2007, 12:40 AM
Board Icon

With it being the COT, I expect a suspension but I think it's BS as you said yoop. Grey areas become better clarified and no longer grey when someone exploits a loophole. NASCAR gives you a "Fool us once, shame on you, Fool us twice will never happen again" if you find a loophole. Remember back to 2005 at Dover and "Shock-gate" with the 48 and 5. They jacked with the rear shocks and slipped it by NASCAR because it was something that was not in the rulebook. NASCAR was seriously pissed because it was mud in their face since they could not penalize either team. All they could do was say, "Shame on you for breaking the unspoken rule of do not cheat on us." Before the next race they had put in a rule for the shocks to keep it from happening again.

COT or not, teams should be allowed to look for grey areas and mess with them. It can make the racing better. It is not cheating unless there is already a rule against it.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:23 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
With it being the COT, I expect a suspension but I think it's BS as you said yoop. Grey areas become better clarified and no longer grey when someone exploits a loophole. NASCAR gives you a "Fool us once, shame on you, Fool us twice will never happen again" if you find a loophole. Remember back to 2005 at Dover and "Shock-gate" with the 48 and 5. They jacked with the rear shocks and slipped it by NASCAR because it was something that was not in the rulebook. NASCAR was seriously pissed because it was mud in their face since they could not penalize either team. All they could do was say, "Shame on you for breaking the unspoken rule of do not cheat on us." Before the next race they had put in a rule for the shocks to keep it from happening again.

COT or not, teams should be allowed to look for grey areas and mess with them. It can make the racing better. It is not cheating unless there is already a rule against it.
NASCAR this year is really starting to tick me off with this kind of BS-and now they're trying to defend their Monopoly with Nextel which would be a federal offense. And don't get me wrong-I HATE AT&T-I have them as my carrier.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Board Regular

What I don't understand of this is that both crew chiefs are smart enough to find this "advantage" in the "gray" area but were stupid enough to take the cars to the inspection one after another. Had it been me, I would have talked Bush's crew chief into doing theirs first and seen what happened.

Actually I would have sent one car only into tech and if it passed taken the 2nd in, if it failed I would have corrected the problem first!! That was the stupid part to me, these crew chiefs get paid big bucks to push the gray areas to the max and get by with it far more times than not!

Oh well, this may be the first road course to have a winner from the rear of the field