View Poll Results: Also, have you taken the HOS survey at ooida.com under the section "help us help you"?
Yes 2 11.76%
No 10 58.82%
Just heard about it, going there now 3 17.65%
Thought it was just for O/O's only 1 5.88%
Don't think anyone would listen to my opnion 0 0%
Who has the time? 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2004, 03:22 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Just wondering: How would you set up the HOS rules?

I was just wondering if you were able to help create the new HOS rules or create them yourself, how would you want them set up? What would you change?

For example:

Keep the new 14 hour rule, but get rid of the 60/7 70/8 rule and the 34 hour rule entirely.

Get rid of them entirely.

12 hours of driving max with at least a one hour break or two half hour breaks during the driving time that doesn't count towards your driving time.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:52 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member

14 hours of drive time max. in a 24 hour period with 10 hours off duty. Keep the 34 hour reset and require electronic recording of all carriers.

Old 03-09-2005, 02:28 AM
Rookie

The current rules have their merits but I would like to see the following...

12 hour duty period with "off-duty" time extentions allowed

10 hours of driving

allow "off-duty" to count with split logging

34 hour restart from the driver's home terminal only.

Define specific "supporting doccuments" in the regulations to give carriers at least a fighting chance during an audit.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:06 PM

I have been thinking about them and talking about them with my husband as he is driving solo now. I think the smartest thing they could do is to make the rules simple.

1) Get rid of the 60/70 rule and get rid of the 14 hour rule.

2) Either get rid of the 34 hour restart rule, or turn it into a mandatory 72 hour home time/vacation a month.

3) Keep the 11 hour of driving a day. Or reduce it to 10 while allowing an extra hour of driving if the they are within an hour of their destination, and/or to find a truck stop if needed.

4) The truckers have to take a 9 consecutive hour break sometime with in the 24 hour day starting and stopping at midnight. It is up to the trucker when to stop.

Allow a split only if the trucker plans to sleep through midnight into the next day, but the split would need to equal 9 hours from the starting point to the stopping point. The trucker would still need to have a total of 9 hours within a 24 hour period.

That would give the trucker an extra hour either at the docks if needed and/or to be able to break up a long period of driving with a break -depending on their planning abilities and deadline the company gives them. It would also give the freedom to the truck driver to sleep when they need it instead of telling them they have to take a break at this time whether or not they are tired.

I think that would also make it much easier for the dot officers also. They would only have to check if you were driving only 11 hours, and to see if the driver has taken their break. The officers would not have to worry about the recap and other garbage.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:40 PM

I'd like them to institute a time & a half rule, like is applied to hourly workers. For every hour over 8 hours/day you drive, you are paid 50% more per mile!

So if you normally make 36 cents per mile as a solo driver and you drive for 10 hours one day, those two extra hours of driving are paid at 54 cents per mile!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The road to breakthrough is paved with setbacks
Old 03-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Senior Board Member

ric - if you think parking is a problem now, watch how horrible it comes when companies start mandating that drivers shut down after 8 hours.

With HOS regulations that happen, driver are going to get around them somehow. The new hours seem to have brought about the most positive for larger company drivers simply because it has created an increase in pay. (Doc - I know not enough)!

I still say that when you compensate for performance or productivity you will create people motivated by money and want to get as much miles in a day as they can. Drivers will continue push it to the limit.

What I have been noticing is there a lot more drivers losing their jobs now due to log violations then before. It is almost a complete zero tolerance for this and maybe this is the answer to get drivers to be more legal. By taking the stand that if a driver is terminated for log violations, then it is harder for them to get a new job might make them run legal. Of course I think doing away with the electronic log system would help here as some drivers get pinged for moving their trucks to a better parking spot after they have driven their 11 hours.

I would like to see a uniform amount that shippers/consignees are billed for detention time. This would reduce the overall amount of time a driver is a stuck waiting to be loaded or unloaded.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:18 AM
Senior Board Member

You all are making it too damn complicated!Make the logbook with only 2 lines: "On Duty" and "Off Duty" - because you are either working or you are not.

12 hours on, 12 hours off, breaks according to FLSA guidelines, enforced with OBRs. All "On Duty" hours must be paid according to FLSA.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:47 AM

I agree with Highwayman but would dump the CPM pay and go to either a hourly rate or salary.

Being paid by the mile or by the load promotes cheating on ones log book and speeding.

I am now a local driver and get paid by the hour. I do the speed limit now. I dont give a rats a$$ if the load is late the speed limit is 55 I go 55. Poor planning on the companies part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

I also agree with electronic log books.

MY OTHER RIDE
http://www.billbeau.net/photos/camaro/
Old 03-11-2005, 04:30 AM

Highway man I do agree the simpler the better. 12 on and 12 off would only happen in a perfect world without anti-trucking groups.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:29 AM
Rookie
Default If you want the fair answer

There is only one way to do it fair and right.
Every truck driver hiring on should have to register a 14hrs shift with his company that he will be working for them,say 6am to 8pm or what ever shift they and he decides on. This shift would have to be the same for the whole employment unless changed at the company with 1 week advanced notice. The driver should be able to work up to 6 days consistent like this and mandatory at least 1 off. This would eliminate all the dispatcher coercion towards drivers and you can guarantee if all companies had to run under set schedules of time they would change the setting around at shippers and receivers we drivers have to deal with daily!
But you can guarantee this system will never happen it would work to well and be to fair to the drivers. And the companies we run for would truly have to do there jobs.
This would eliminate all problems.