User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Musicman, I spoke with a guy a while back and he told me that if you request an inspection that it would not affect your safety score. I would like to know if that is true or not. I have been meaning to stop at a scale and ask.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Musicman, I spoke with a guy a while back and he told me that if you request an inspection that it would not affect your safety score. I would like to know if that is true or not. I have been meaning to stop at a scale and ask.
I have only asked to be inspected once and that one did show up on SAFERS, Safe Stat and my ISS score. I’ve even viewed the inspection report on the “FMCSA COMPASS Portal” which I imagine you are familiar with. I have also had a lot of inspections that I didn’t ask for be misreported (as to what level the inspection was). I have also heard from some people that if you ask to be inspected that it will not count as a “real” inspection. While I understand why it would make sense to NOT count requested inspections, I’m not so sure that it is a policy NOT to count them. I will try to remember to ask the next DOT officer I am forced to talk to.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Senior Board Member

per CVSA CMV inspectors in Nebraska (North Platte) & Missouri( St. Clair)-- the CVSA member states are no longer doing courtesy or "by request" inspections-- there's no more "get out of jail free" inspections-- if they inspect and find anything wrong-- you're going to get the violation & possibly a citation for it.

Per CVSA(North Platte) they do not do "follow up" inspections anymore-- so there's no 2nd chance.

Couple years ago, the way it worked in California was- if you had anything that didn't pass a level 1-- but was less than OOS. They'd give you a $10.00 "fix it" ticket- which you had to have a California CVSA inspector to sign off on before you leave the state( stating it was fixed)--and you had 24hrs to get that specific problem fixed and you could run by any inspection station and they would do a "follow up" inspection on just that 1 or 2 items -- then issue you a CVSA sticker. According to the Inspector at North Platte-- Nebraska doesn't do that-- you simply get whatever fixed-- and better luck next time- if they inspect they have to do a full inspection and you could be "got" on anything the 1st inspector might have "missed'.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg View Post
per CVSA CMV inspectors in Nebraska (North Platte) & Missouri( St. Clair)-- the CVSA member states are no longer doing courtesy or "by request" inspections-- there's no more "get out of jail free" inspections-- if they inspect and find anything wrong-- you're going to get the violation & possibly a citation for it.

Per CVSA(North Platte) they do not do "follow up" inspections anymore-- so there's no 2nd chance.

Couple years ago, the way it worked in California was- if you had anything that didn't pass a level 1-- but was less than OOS. They'd give you a $10.00 "fix it" ticket- which you had to have a California CVSA inspector to sign off on before you leave the state( stating it was fixed)--and you had 24hrs to get that specific problem fixed and you could run by any inspection station and they would do a "follow up" inspection on just that 1 or 2 items -- then issue you a CVSA sticker. According to the Inspector at North Platte-- Nebraska doesn't do that-- you simply get whatever fixed-- and better luck next time- if they inspect they have to do a full inspection and you could be "got" on anything the 1st inspector might have "missed'.
We were talking more about asking to be inspected when you know everything is perfect with both truck and driver so you can be assured a passing inspection and thusly pump up your inspection score. The more good inspections you have the less one OOS inspection will raise your ISS score. The lower your score the less likely you are to be inspected when you might not be completely ready for one. If you can keep that score under 50 (I think), you will rarely be selected for an impromptu roadside inspection.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
We were talking more about asking to be inspected when you know everything is perfect with both truck and driver so you can be assured a passing inspection and thusly pump up your inspection score. The more good inspections you have the less one OOS inspection will raise your ISS score. The lower your score the less likely you are to be inspected when you might not be completely ready for one. If you can keep that score under 50 (I think), you will rarely be selected for an impromptu roadside inspection.

Those are the kinds the CVSA are no longer doing.. per the Inspector at St. Clair-- they are no longer waisting their time & resources with "requested" inspections... they are only doing 'random' and 'enforcement.(.i.e. they spot a problem & have probable cause) they know all about the big carriers "preping trucks & drivers"...

I've tried both there and in Nebraska-- they aren't doing those anymore...

but if you find one that still does.. let me know...