User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

In my opinion OOIDA is the loudest voice the American trucker has in Washington. They need money to be heard....thats just how Washington works.

I'm a company driver but I gladly send them MY measley $75 a year...and thankful for the work they do.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Senior Board Member

OOIDA did a great job in getting that ridiculous fatique survey stopped
Old 12-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Board Regular

I may be too hung over to present my logic clearly here, but........

I'm not really too worried about this. If it did have a major effect on drivers or companies the end result would be an increase in both rates and drivers pay, Neither of which would really be a bad thing, I'm way more concerned about other issues like eobr's, the idiotic cali emissions laws etc. Sometimes I think they throw so much crap out there that you can't sort out the really bad from the merely funky & they do it on purpose.

-Jack Kerouac, "Mexico City Blues"
Old 12-28-2009, 01:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer View Post
Then how come nobody is laughing?

I work on the inside and not in the driver's seat and I can tell you that every company out there is worried sick about this.

The people that are saying this is the biggest change ever to hit trucking are on the right track. And right now, no one knows exactly how they are going to deal with it.

Fred is right about one thing...do what you're supposed to do and follow the regs. But what happens when that 10 years at 1 company top notch driver has a bad day? He'll be looking for a new job because the carrier won't be able to carry his points. It's going to happen and it's going to happen a whole helluva lot.

Another point of control for big government. :surrender:
I was reflecting upon the 'old school' place where i work when i said 'joke'...here they still expect drivers to make logbook magic and cover for our tyrant leader and his crew.

When safety departments stop citing drivers as the source and put brokers and dispatchers in their place things will maybe work and balance out.

PS:If the driver gets nabbed doesn't the company still retain the hit for 2 years
Old 12-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer View Post
Then how come nobody is laughing?

I work on the inside and not in the driver's seat and I can tell you that every company out there is worried sick about this.

The people that are saying this is the biggest change ever to hit trucking are on the right track. And right now, no one knows exactly how they are going to deal with it.

Fred is right about one thing...do what you're supposed to do and follow the regs. But what happens when that 10 years at 1 company top notch driver has a bad day? He'll be looking for a new job because the carrier won't be able to carry his points. It's going to happen and it's going to happen a whole helluva lot.

Another point of control for big government. :surrender:

Yes and no. I agree with your opinion of big govt. on this particular issue, but......

I'm not worried just because the companies are worried. Management and I have different interests. They want a large supply of cheap drivers. It's in my best interests to have the supply of drivers limited, thus creating upward pressure on wages.

Under CSA 2010 I don't think a driver will lose his job because of "one bad day" I do think it will force companies to shed some good drivers that have not-so-good records. But, those will be drivers with a pattern of problems, not a single bad day. Once again, better for me with my spotless record.

You can find a more factual discussion of this issue here; CSA 2010: The data - Truckers' Trucking Forum | Largest CDL Message Board

You can find lots of other interesting threads there too, including Floored's wedding photos from last week. And no, it's not the Rev.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightsChromeHorsepower View Post
You can find a more factual discussion of this issue here; CSA 2010: The data - Truckers' Trucking Forum | Largest CDL Message Board

You can find lots of other interesting threads there too, including Floored's wedding photos from last week. And no, it's not the Rev.
I thought that promoting another FOR PROFIT competing message board in a a CAD thread was verboten ?????
Old 12-29-2009, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Yes and no. I agree with your opinion of big govt. on this particular issue, but......

I'm not worried just because the companies are worried. Management and I have different interests. They want a large supply of cheap drivers. It's in my best interests to have the supply of drivers limited, thus creating upward pressure on wages.

Under CSA 2010 I don't think a driver will lose his job because of "one bad day" I do think it will force companies to shed some good drivers that have not-so-good records. But, those will be drivers with a pattern of problems, not a single bad day. Once again, better for me with my spotless record.

I'm just wondering about your "spotless record"??? Have you passed at least 5 level 1 CVSA inspections each year for the last 3 years in a row with not a single violation either driver or equipment?

If not, you might not even "score" on the board under csa2010 and be in the "insufficient data" group-- subject to more intense further "contact" and inspections. You see, this is what's scary-- there's no credit for "no contact" and a guy like yourself with a spotless record could quickly find yourself classified as Marginal or worse with just a couple inspections.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:47 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg View Post
I'm just wondering about your "spotless record"??? Have you passed at least 5 level 1 CVSA inspections each year for the last 3 years in a row with not a single violation either driver or equipment?

If not, you might not even "score" on the board under csa2010 and be in the "insufficient data" group-- subject to more intense further "contact" and inspections. You see, this is what's scary-- there's no credit for "no contact" and a guy like yourself with a spotless record could quickly find yourself classified as Marginal or worse with just a couple inspections.
1. If it actually happens I'll deal with it. Being forced into another occupation wouldn't necessarily be the end of the world for me.

2. Who on earth gets 5 level 1's in a year?

Old 12-30-2009, 02:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
1. If it actually happens I'll deal with it. Being forced into another occupation wouldn't necessarily be the end of the world for me.

2. Who on earth gets 5 level 1's in a year?
2) answer; anyone working for a company with a poor safety score & soon to be-- any company with insufficient # of inspections vs total miles fleet travels in a given year i.e Insufficient data i.e. limited contact ( code for DOT hasn't picked their pockets as much as they've hit other Piggy banks)
Old 01-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Senior Board Member

First, you MUST keep in mind that this kind of stuff is NEVER about safety. If our beloved government was concerned with the safety of our roads, it would be tightening enforcement on NON-COMMERCIAL vehicles more than anything, since they are responsible for the biggest share of accidents on the road. The problem is that there are a couple hundred million car drivers (read: potential VOTERS) out there and maybe 3 million or so truckers. Because of our size we are high profile, because of old stereotypes from the seventies and earlier we are demonized in the media and to many automobile drivers, we are just plain scary. Politicians have long known that you get votes when you make the general populace think you are protecting them from somebody else’s misdeeds. You need look no farther than my own former governor Blogo who made a big noise about keeping the speed limits at 55mph for trucks in Illinois.

The crux of the matter is that they cannot make this new program too tough, or goods will not make it to market because there will be no drivers to get them there. When the store shelves are empty, politicians LOSE votes. They will want it to look good to the general populace (voters), but they can only get rid of so many truckers. What will most likely happen is that we will see some of the truly dangerous truck drivers out there (and companies) go the way of the dinosaur. That may help to eliminate the oversupply of trucks we have on the roads right now and bring rates up. In addition, wouldn’t it be nice if we could all make a good living by always running and logging 100% legal? Don’t get me wrong here, nobody on this board or on this planet hates government interference in their lives more than I do; but in some ways, those of us who are good drivers or run good companies may stand to benefit from this new program.

To address the issue of getting inspected because you either have too few inspections or had bad luck with one of the few you’ve had… all you have to do is pull into a scale when you have time and you are sure everything is PERFECT with your logs and equipment, and ask the scale personnel to inspect you. Sometimes it’s hard to get them to do a Level 1, but you can almost ALWAYS get them to do a Level 2 or 3. They will rarely admit it, but they have a quota to meet each shift. Not necessarily a quota of violations to write, but most scale personnel are expected to perform a certain number of inspections each shift or each week, month, etc.. The more good inspections you have, the less that one bad one you were unprepared for will look. It also helps to be discriminating about where you do this – I’d recommend NOT volunteering to do this on the Banning, CA scale… or any scale in CA for that matter.