User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
PA has a way of writing up citations so that they do not take points off for you. I've seen a guy that got a ticket for doing 18 over the limit. The ticket said "FAILURE TO OBEY TRAFFIC CONTROL DEVICES". Which means the officer changed it from a moving violation to a non-moving violation. The fine was the same as if it were for speeding, but no points assessed. It also takes it down from a serious violation. I've also heard of other guys getting stopped for speeding, and the fine was for speeding, but the citation said "LOG BOOK". Saves points and saves your license. The seatbelt would have been a moving violation.

As far as appearing on your MVR, I can't say anything about that. Not something I ever got into.

Oh yeah! Reducing moving violations to not moving violations is very, very common.

What happens is that a whole new set of disbursements for the fess collected occurs. Take for instance, you were ticketed for speeding and you went to court and the police officer told the judge that they were willing to have the ticket reduced to some non moving violation such as a parking ticket. You pay the same fine, fee, and costs but no points.

What just happened? Well, you get no points and the insurance companies have no idea and motor vehicle doesn't either. The points system is used to rate your safety as a driver. In addition, as in the case in Michigan, the moving violation fines and fees that were to be distributed to various funding for state programs, such as highway patrol, now goes to the local jurisdiction that issued the ticket, ie. all the money stays local.

It is a big scam for the local jurisdictions to keep the funds and circumvent the points system as well, so the ticketed are happy to oblige. No such thing as equal justice under the law, as is the case in Michigan, because it is not every local court system practicing it and changing moving violations to non-moving violations.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobry4u View Post
Oh yeah! Reducing moving violations to not moving violations is very, very common.

What happens is that a whole new set of disbursements for the fess collected occurs. Take for instance, you were ticketed for speeding and you went to court and the police officer told the judge that they were willing to have the ticket reduced to some non moving violation such as a parking ticket. You pay the same fine, fee, and costs but no points.

What just happened? Well, you get no points and the insurance companies have no idea and motor vehicle doesn't either. The points system is used to rate your safety as a driver. In addition, as in the case in Michigan, the moving violation fines and fees that were to be distributed to various funding for state programs, such as highway patrol, now goes to the local jurisdiction that issued the ticket, ie. all the money stays local.

It is a big scam for the local jurisdictions to keep the funds and circumvent the points system as well, so the ticketed are happy to oblige. No such thing as equal justice under the law, as is the case in Michigan, because it is not every local court system practicing it and changing moving violations to non-moving violations.

+1

"Revenue Generation" is where it is at. And it's gonna get worse.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Lips View Post
In the remarks section of the paper citation that I received it stated log book not current last entry 9:00 P.M. Which is when I quit driving and checked into my hotel room. I tried calling myself, but they had me on hold for like 45 minutes. When I find the ticket, I will scan it and post it here.
what was the code for the law you broke? that is what the ticket is actually for. the remarks section of a ticket is just that remarks. usually used to remind the officer of that ticket and situation.