User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Arrow experienced driver that hasn't driven in 4 years

I graduated truck driving school in 1984 in Phoenix, Arizona. I went to work for a company right out of school, 4 of the companies that I worked for are no longer in business. I owned a truck and leased to a company in Springfield, Mo and was with them 5 years, then because of family issues I got off the road and have not driven for 4 years this month. I am wanting to get back into trucking, I have a current CDL w/ doubles and triples/passenger/ and haz-mat endorsements and current DOT Medical card. I am finding more and more that getting back into truckingis going to be difficult as many companies are requiring recent verifiable experience and like I said, it's been 4 years since I have been in a truck, ANY SUGGESTIONS MUCH APPRECIATED......

Last edited by 20 year driver; 01-13-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Might want to focus your search on small companies. Other than that many companies are going to want you to take a refresher course. A few of the training companies might be willing to hire you on without one and send you out with a trainer for a couple of weeks before turning you loose as a solo driver.

With all the companies that have downsized or went out of business in the past few months it is an employers market so be prepared to jump through a few extra hoops to find a job.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Board Icon

I agree with Uturn that you should look at smaller companies. I would not even CONSIDER a "training company" that might want you to jump through hoops!

Yes, there is a glut of experienced drivers on the market, and times are hard. But, if you deal with PEOPLE instead of "megatrons" in the personnel office, you can SURELY convince someone that your years of experience are worth MORE than the trouble they would get with many other drivers.

Assuming your record is clean, you should not be discouraged by the situation on the SURFACE. Dig deeper. Don't listen to what you read on their websites.... call and TALK to someone!

You gave no info on what you are willing to DO to drive a truck again. But, look for companies that have dedicated routes, or more importantly, shippers. But, be cognizant of those companies that are about to fold due to the economy. Hauling building materials is NOT a good choice right now.

Make face to face contact whenever you can! People prefer to hire PEOPLE instead of "numbers."

If you don't have one, make a good Resume. Highlight your experience and training as a driver. Print it out on grey paper (or some other color other than white.) Hand one out to every company you apply to.

If you find some companies in your area that you want to apply to, check out their websites before you go. Learn everything you CAN about them, and let them KNOW that you have done so!

Emphasize that your "family issues" were important enough to keep you out of the business, or off the road. And that they are concluded.

When mentioning your "independent" O/O experience, make sure you emphasize what you learned about the needs and concerns of a viable trucking business, NOT how great you were at it.

Make sure (on your resume) to include a "goals" section, and clearly state your desire to return to trucking with a GOOD company where you can happily live out your days! They want to see committment and stability. (Don't use the words "live out your days." Show them how you can be of USE to them!)

Best of luck to you.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:38 AM

Check with CDL schools for a "refresher". There may be "funds available" for training thru the empoyment office or local colleges.