User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655
Not really sure where you are going with this, you might want to ask your actual question instead of beating around the bush.

A GPS is not an On Board Recording Device as defined by FMCSA in any shape form or fashion although the OBRD's do have GPS in them. YES, they do have the legal right to monitor where you are, how fast you are driving, how long you are driving, or anything else a gps can show and to match it to the logs you turn in. Many companies use Qualcom and the Qualcom log can and is used by DOT in their audits to confirm logs.
I don't have a problem with XATA, Qualcom or other that comply to 395.15
(b)(1) Automatic on board recording devices shall produce, upon demand, a driver's hours of service chart, electronic display, or printout showing the time and sequence of duty status changes including the drivers' starting time at the beginning of each day.

(b)(2) The device shall provide a means whereby authorized Federal, State, or local officials can immediately check the status of a driver's hours of service. This information may be used in conjunction with handwritten or printed records of duty status, for the previous 7 days.

(i) Performance of recorders.
(i)(4) The automatic on-board recording device warns the driver visually and/or audibly that the device has ceased to function.

It is the "SNITCH BOX" I have a problem with. If they start handing out tickets and shorting my pay.
:roll:
Old 04-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
I don't care if they follow or observer me. I have nothing to hide. BUT If they start handing out tickets and shorting my pay. I Say NO to SNITCH BOX.
Federal Legislation

(H.R. 4908 and S. 2898) requires employers to notify all new employees when they are hired as to the electronic monitoring policy of the company. his notice must be renewed annually and when there is a change in the company policy. The notification must be concise as to the type, frequency, method and use of the monitoring. Employees have the right to sue their employers for a violation and can collect damages per employee and per incident.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: How do you ask officially without getting fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by got mud?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicmechnic
395.15 Auto on board recording device?
After reading a question by "belpre122" http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=33359

And referencing my hand book and looking online any in cab GPS used to track location and "HOS" is illegal. Unless that GPS was used for directions.
With that being siad how do you ask officially without putting a noose around your neck?
does the company consistently give you loads that you can't really get done legally? if so I think you have your answer. Many companies will grand stand about running legal and all that but really its just them covering their butt. they say run legal then they wink and give you a load you could never get done legally. its all part of the game.
Oh?

I thought my my dispatcher had a nervous condition or something....

His eye is constantly twitching.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
I don't care if they follow or observer me. I have nothing to hide. BUT If they start handing out tickets and shorting my pay. I Say NO to SNITCH BOX.
Federal Legislation

(H.R. 4908 and S. 2898) requires employers to notify all new employees when they are hired as to the electronic monitoring policy of the company. his notice must be renewed annually and when there is a change in the company policy. The notification must be concise as to the type, frequency, method and use of the monitoring. Employees have the right to sue their employers for a violation and can collect damages per employee and per incident.
A company cannot give you a ticket for anything... and how can they short your pay when electronically you (the truck) is and depending on the software package they use can pay you electronically for everything even before they physically get the paperwork that they used to have to have before they could pay? This place I work for has gone from alley Oop to Buck Rogers in the last 6 months and its done nothing but make life easier on everyone...
Old 04-15-2008, 09:52 PM
Senior Board Member

395.15 has zero to do with GPS tracking systems. It merely outlines all the parameters that have to be met for a company to be able to use "electronic logbooks" instead of paper ones. Thats all. Unless you work for Werner or one of the ones that use them....its a non-issue.

As far as tracking the truck via GPS.....most carriers do it. Its an automatic thing. Our trucks are pinged about every 45 minutes or so. Its their right to do so...they own the truck trailer and the freight.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
H.R. 4908 and S. 2898 has nothing to do with GPS monitoring. The bills had to do with the disclosure of electronic monitoring of employee communications and computer usage in the workplace.

I might also add this bill H.R. 4908 died along with the Senate S. 2898. These two bills were introduced in 2000. And as any bill that does not pass the two chambers are cleared from the books. See: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h106-4908

kc0iv
Old 04-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Board Regular
Default How do you ask officially without getting fired?

Forget what I belive to be wrong.
How do you ask officially without getting fired????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????
Old 04-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Senior Board Member

What EXACTLY are you wanting to ask them about? GPS tracking, automatic electronic logbooks (like werner uses), etc?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
How do you ask officially without getting fired????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????
If you think they, the company, are doing something illegal then as I said before discuss this with an attorney. He/She will inform you what they can and can not do.

What you have said so far I don't see where the company is doing anything illegal.

kc0iv
Old 04-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
If you think they, the company, are doing something illegal then as I said before discuss this with an attorney. He/She will inform you what they can and can not do.

What you have said so far I don't see where the company is doing anything illegal.

kc0iv
I did take the free consult, He said he would have to look into it further at a cost.
I am looking for a official responce.
As I siad before I don't have a problem with XATA, Qualcom or other that comply to 395.15

It is the "SNITCH BOX" I have a problem with. "If" they start handing out tickets and shorting my pay.
I have read many times when people were shorted pay and writen up. It is not a perfect world things happen. [Good example] = tracking freezes in CT and then decides to work in NJ that trip took you 45 minuts and 36 miles you get paid for. And wonder why you where shorted pay? :roll: And don't be suprized when you are fired becuase you allegaly up the speed.