User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default company violates FMCS 49CFR393.203

if a company violates FMCS 49CFR393.203 parts and accessories necessary for safe operation by not replacing a jammed driver door preventing entry/exit then the operator/driver is later involved in a backing incident/accident who is at fault?
This occurred while i was training with the trainer sitting in the second seat.
He told me i was crooked and he stood up and moved to the sleeper berth area and as he did that i hit the parked tanker next to me.
this happened in a truck stop and was non reportable DOT; no citations issued. damage was approx. $2000.00
Should the company be sited for violating FMCS 49CFR393.203 and take responsibility for this incident or am I still at fault?
Old 04-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Who was the one doing the back?

How does the door problem fit into the problem with the back?
Old 04-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: company violates FMCS 49CFR393.203

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedtea58
if a company violates FMCS 49CFR393.203 parts and accessories necessary for safe operation by not replacing a jammed driver door preventing entry/exit then the operator/driver is later involved in a backing incident/accident who is at fault?
He told me i was crooked and he stood up and moved to the sleeper berth area and as he did that i hit the parked tanker next to me.
this happened in a truck stop and was non reportable DOT; no citations issued. damage was approx. $2000.00
Should the company be sited for violating FMCS 49CFR393.203 and take responsibility for this incident or am I still at fault?
anytime you operate a CMV and damage is caused by your actions or inactions you will be at fault. to answer your question if the door not opening made it so you couldn't GOAL (which is what i'm assuming you are implying by bringing it up) then you should have refused to operate the vehicle. when the trainer got up to move and blocked your view of the mirror you should have STOPPED the truck and waited until you could see (I assumed thats why you brought up the trainer)

basically if you choose to operated the vehicle you are saying that it is fit to operate. even if your trainer or someone is guiding you into the spot and you hit something YOU are still at fault.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Mud is totally correct on this.

The person behind the wheel is ultimately responsible for everything.

Sure the owner of the truck may have violated a regulation, however, as the old saying goes. Two wrongs do not make it right.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Senior Board Member

i agree with utrun and mud, you were the one behind the wheel and you hit something it's your fault. yes they should have fixed the door. but you and your trainer both knew it was not working so you could have been cited for defective equipment...
Old 04-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Rookie
Default Re: company violates FMCS 49CFR393.203

Quote:
Originally Posted by got mud?
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedtea58
anytime you operate a CMV and damage is caused by your actions or inactions you will be at fault. to answer your question if the door not opening made it so you couldn't GOAL (which is what i'm assuming you are implying by bringing it up) then you should have refused to operate the vehicle. when the trainer got up to move and blocked your view of the mirror you should have STOPPED the truck and waited until you could see (I assumed thats why you brought up the trainer)

basically if you choose to operated the vehicle you are saying that it is fit to operate. even if your trainer or someone is guiding you into the spot and you hit something YOU are still at fault.
Thank you, Super Trucker! I respect your reply. Being new in the industry there are many things I should have questioned that I did not. Now it may be too late. And thank you for your response.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Senior Board Member

I must be missing something.. where in the FMCSR makes backing into something either a door or a company's fault? You backed into something and the trainer was not where he should have been. Be honest and just accept the fact and learn from this. I hope you didn't mention this regulation to the company already and try to blame them for your mistake. This half baked accusation is not the way to be seen as anything but a danger to the company.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
. Be honest and just accept the fact and learn from this.
He already has, in the post above yours.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Being that you were the trainee--second seat driver--- It looks bad on your Trainer that HE allowed/continued to operate a vehicle in violation of safety regulations.... I would hope that you repeatedly noted the defect on YOUR log book each and every day.

Also, as your trainer--- his truck--- your company should disqualify him- assign safety points against HIM. Trainers are not suppose to "give the trainee enough rope to hang themselves"

but you were ultimately responsible-- if you were driving a pete 379 and needed to open the door to change the angle of the mirror but couldn't- and couldn't climb out the driver side door to G.O.A.L.-- again-- it's your fault.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Well folks, just because the drivers side door would not open it did not stop him from doing a G.O.A.L.

The passenger door worked. Yes, it is a pain to climb over and out, but it can be done. Been there done that and got the t-shirt and all that myself.