User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubyboy
i would personally like to become a ham operator, and have dreamed of it for quite some time, other than the costs, the biggest thing that turns me away is that i had heard you are required to be relatively "fluent" in morse code, anf have to meet a certain speed, wpm or w/e...and at this poiny all i really know is SOS...
The Technicians license doesn't require Morse Code, although if you get Technician w/CW (ham slang for Morse Code) you get access to more frequencies that use CW as the main means of communication.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin
make that 3 I'm a Amateur Radio Operator as well. So yes, I can legally own those dual band CB's that the truck stops dole out without even so much as asking for a license.
Maybe you should look a little deeper in the regulation about dual band CB's.

kc0iv
Care to cite because as long as you have access rights to the 2nd band (Usually 10 meter) on your license their shouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
make that 3 I'm a Amateur Radio Operator as well. So yes, I can legally own those dual band CB's that the truck stops dole out without even so much as asking for a license.

kc0iv
Care to cite because as long as you have access rights to the 2nd band (Usually 10 meter) on your license their shouldn't be a problem.
The problem isn't using it on the 10 meter ham band. The problem is it can't be used on the CB band. The number one problems is it isn't type accepted by the F.C.C. Which is required to transmit on the CB band. Plus, a ham can not transmit on the CB channels. In order to use the CB channels he/she must conform rules used on the CB channels. His/Her ham license does not cover the CB channels.

kc0iv
Old 07-26-2008, 03:06 PM

The thing about threads such as this that worries me are the radio natzis that tend to take it upon themselves to notify the FCC about such things and tattle on the drivers with big radios.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

kc0iv
The problem isn't using it on the 10 meter ham band. The problem is it can't be used on the CB band. The number one problems is it isn't type accepted by the F.C.C. Which is required to transmit on the CB band. Plus, a ham can not transmit on the CB channels. In order to use the CB channels he/she must conform rules used on the CB channels. His/Her ham license does not cover the CB channels.

kc0iv
Uhm... 11 Meter (CB Band), does NOT require a license, there is no regulation stating that your radio equipment cannot broadcast on 10 and 11 meters, just so long as you have the license to broadcast on the 10 meter, and that your radio only puts out a maximum of 4 watts on 11 meter. Just about every dual band radio out there is factory tuned to only put 4 watts on 11 meter, and 50 watts I believe for 10 meter.

Personally, I think the entire debate is just stupid, the FCC could give two craps about people on 11 meter, and the only time they do is when someone is going around pushing thousands of watts going over every speaker, TV, touch lamp in town, and or splashing over into illegal frequencies. If you got a radio pushing 200 watts on 11 meter, and it is setup correctly, and there is minimal interference they don't give two craps, period.

Now as far as people operating dual band radios and talking on unlicensed frequencies, no they should not be doing so, but don't bash the radio, bash the operator.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:22 PM

Yes I hear very little about the FCC going out and investigating anything unles there are complaints about someone bleeding over someones TV etc.

But there are people out there that do nothing but search for "illegal" sales of radios or look for reasons to tattle on people.

I don't operate on the 10 meter side and have not felt the need to do so. Everyone I want to talk to is on the 11 meter side.

But this 4 watt thing for CBs is kind of a joke. Alot of factory CBs deadkey 4 watts but swing to a peak of 8 watts or more. I had a factory 29 that would swing to 8 watts peak and it had not been touched.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat
Yes I hear very little about the FCC going out and investigating anything unles there are complaints about someone bleeding over someones TV etc.

But there are people out there that do nothing but search for "illegal" sales of radios or look for reasons to tattle on people.

I don't operate on the 10 meter side and have not felt the need to do so. Everyone I want to talk to is on the 11 meter side.

But this 4 watt thing for CBs is kind of a joke. Alot of factory CBs deadkey 4 watts but swing to a peak of 8 watts or more. I had a factory 29 that would swing to 8 watts peak and it had not been touched.
My 29 tuned, did 8 watt dead key, and 40 watt peak.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat

My 29 tuned, did 8 watt dead key, and 40 watt peak.

Ya, I am waiting on my Stealth Cobra 29 nightwatch to get here. Done by a very well known CB shop that is not your normal Smoke and Mirrors shop and it is peaking 55 watts.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
Uhm... 11 Meter (CB Band), does NOT require a license, there is no regulation stating that your radio equipment cannot broadcast on 10 and 11 meters, just so long as you have the license to broadcast on the 10 meter, and that your radio only puts out a maximum of 4 watts on 11 meter. Just about every dual band radio out there is factory tuned to only put 4 watts on 11 meter, and 50 watts I believe for 10 meter.
Seem the F.C.C. don't agree with you.

Quote:
Section 302(b) of the Act provides that “no person shall manufacture, import, sell, offer for sale, or ship devices or home electronic equipment and systems, or use devices, which fail to comply with regulations promulgated pursuant to this section.” Section 2.803(a)(1) of the Commission’s implementing regulations provides that:
no person shall sell or lease, or offer for sale or lease (including advertising for sale or lease), or import, ship, or distribute for the purpose of selling or leasing or offering for sale or lease, any radio frequency device unless … in the case of a device subject to certification, such device has been authorized by the Commission in accordance with the rules in this chapter and is properly identified and labelled as required by § 2.925 and other relevant sections in this chapter.

In addition, Section 2.803(g) of the Rules provides that radio frequency devices that could not be authorized or legally operated “shall not be operated, advertised, displayed, offered for sale or lease, sold or leased, or otherwise marketed ….”
Did you notice "use devices" and "shall not be operated,......"

All equipment must be certify to be used on 11 meters (CB). No 11/10 meter radios have been certify. So any operation on CB channels is illegal. Operation on 10 meters requires a ham license.

To my knowledge none of the "10 meter" radios we are discussing (out of the box) have the ability to operate on 11 meter (CB). They have all been modify to work on 11 meters (CB). Or have been modify to operate on 10 meters. There is NO dual band radio that is factory tuned. They have all be modify.

Citing from other sections.

Quote:
Section 301 of the Act requires that no person shall use or operate any apparatus for the transmission of energy or communications or signals by radio within the United States except under and in accordance with the Act and with a license. Section 95.404 of the Rules states that CB operators do not require an individual license to operate a CB station because they are authorized by this rule to operate in accordance with the rules in this subpart.

Section 95.409(a) of the Rules requires that CB operators use an FCC certificated CB transmitter at their CB stations. Section 95.409 of the Rules also states that use of a non-certificated transmitter voids your authority to operate your station.

Section 95.410(a) of the Rules states that CB station transmitter output must not exceed 4 watts carrier power. Section 95.410(c) of the Rules also states that use of a transmitter which has carrier power in excess of that authorized voids your authority to operate the station.
Now as to me. I could less if you want to use your duel bander. Make the biggest noise you want on CB. The only problem I have is the guys that operate in the CW portion of the 10 meter band. And even with that it isn't a major problem. When I'm on 10 meters CW my filter will hear through this nonsense. Beside most are mobile and are gone in a very short time. I know I'm causing them more problems with my 1000 watt linear than they cause me.

kc0iv
Old 07-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Senior Board Member

A properly tuned AM transmitter will not change power output with modulation. If the output power changes then it is over modulating the carrier. Which most CB transmitter do I might add. The exception to this is if you are using a peak reading meter. Then you will only see the peak level and not the carrier.

kc0iv