User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgardner963
*This exception is NOT valid when a vehicle is within 100 feet of a restricted area. The law defines a restricted area as “any real property zoned for individual or multifamily housing units that has one or
more of such units on it”. Simply put, a “restricted area” would be any type of home or dwelling. In addition, idling within 100 feet of schools is also limited to 5 minutes as defined in a different California regulation (Section 2480, Title 13, California Code of Regulations).

i picked this off the website you gave will do more investagating. exceptions to evey rule :shock:
There are no real exceptions to the CA no idle laws anymore. Only time you can idle the truck is if it is needed to operate equipment for the loading/unloading/transfer of cargo.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
*This exception is NOT valid when a vehicle is within 100 feet of a restricted area. The law defines a restricted area as “any real property zoned for individual or multifamily housing units that has one or
more of such units on it”. Simply put, a “restricted area” would be any type of home or dwelling. In addition, idling within 100 feet of schools is also limited to 5 minutes as defined in a different California regulation (Section 2480, Title 13, California Code of Regulations).

i picked this off the website you gave will do more investagating. exceptions to evey rule :shock:
Check-out: http://www.arb.ca.gov/html/fslist.htm Go down to Vehicles (near the bottom of the page). Click on the second item ( Anti Idling Requirement for Sleeper Berth Trucks). On the pdf file Notice it says:
Quote:
DOES YOUR DIESEL TRUCK HAVE A GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING GREATER THAN
10,000 POUNDS?
If yes, then the following applies to you.

IDLING FOR MORE THAN 5 MINUTES IS PROHIBITED WITHIN CALIFORNIA’S BORDERS

CURRENTLY, THE IDLING LIMIT DOES NOT APPLY TO SLEEPER BERTH TRUCKS, BUT STARTING JANUARY 1, 2008, THIS WILL CHANGE AND SLEEPER BERTH TRUCKS WILL NO LONGER BE ALLOWED TO IDLE FOR MORE THAN 5 MINUTES. (caps by original article)

kc0iv
Old 01-26-2008, 03:16 PM

Statewide Regulation Now Limits Diesel-Fueled
Commercial Motor Vehicle Idling
The Law
On or after February 1, 2005, the driver of any vehicle subject to this section:
(1) shall not idle the vehicle’s primary diesel engine for greater than 5
minutes at any location (please see “When can I idle?”)
(2) shall not idle a diesel-fueled auxiliary power system (APS) for more than 5
minutes to power a heater, air conditioner, or any ancillary equipment on the
vehicle if you have a sleeper berth and you’re within 100 feet of a restricted
area (homes and schools)
Who’s affected by the new regulation?
Operators of diesel-fueled commercial motor vehicles that weigh more than 10,000 pounds
operating in California, regardless of the state or country in which the vehicles are registered.
What are the penalties for non-compliance?
The driver of the vehicle is subject to a minimum civil penalty of $100 and to criminal penalties as
specified in the Health and Safety Code.
When can I idle?
Idling is allowed under these circumstances:
· A bus idling for up to 10 minutes prior to passenger boarding, or when passengers are onboard
· Idling of the main engine during sleeping or resting in a sleeper berth beyond 100 feet from any
restricted area (homes and schools)
· Idling when the vehicle must remain motionless due to traffic conditions
· Idling when the vehicle is queuing that at all times is beyond 100 feet from any restricted area
(homes and schools)
· Idling to verify safe operating condition
· Idling is mandatory for testing, servicing (cleaning of commercial vehicles/trucks/buses is not
considered servicing), repairing, or diagnostic purposes
· Idling when positioning or providing power for equipment that is performing work
· Idling when operating defrosters, heaters, air conditioners, or other equipment to prevent a safety
or health emergency
· Idling by authorized emergency vehicles
· Idling of military tactical vehicles during periods of training
· See regulation for details *
*REGULATION
For the text of the regulation, visit http://www.arb.ca.gov/toxics/idling/regtext.htm

I found this on the same page... now i am so confused. :evil:
Old 01-26-2008, 03:39 PM

You know what I wonder about this new idling law is who in gods green earth thinks this stuff up… And where are the driver’s rights here? Are there any Constitutional rights being violated in this law…

More over let’s go to there home and cut the temp to 42 degrees and see how they like it. Does any of this make sense? I under stand the need for clean air do not get me wrong here. I just think who is making the sacrifice? The companies could care less and the driver has no recourse or does he or her? The Big Dog Kicks :evil: :evil: :roll:
Old 01-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
You know what I wonder about this new idling law is who in gods green earth thinks this stuff up… And where are the driver’s rights here? Are there any Constitutional rights being violated in this law…

More over let’s go to there home and cut the temp to 42 degrees and see how they like it. Does any of this make sense? I under stand the need for clean air do not get me wrong here. I just think who is making the sacrifice? The companies could care less and the driver has no recourse or does he or her? The Big Dog Kicks :evil: :evil: :roll:
Remember, this is the same state that has a bill up to become law requiring GOVERNMENT CONTROLLED THERMOSTATS in all homes so that when there is a peak power consumption period, someone in the government can hit a switch and readjust everyone's heat and a/c units. Make sense? It's California, the land of fruits and nuts!
Old 01-26-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655
Quote:

Remember, this is the same state that has a bill up to become law requiring GOVERNMENT CONTROLLED THERMOSTATS in all homes so that when there is a peak power consumption period, someone in the government can hit a switch and readjust everyone's heat and a/c units. Make sense? It's California, the land of fruits and nuts!
Now Now i would not label anyone in California a Fruit.. Or nuts.. I do have other thoughts tho comrad :!:
Old 01-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655
Your joking right??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 01-26-2008, 05:20 PM

Of Course :twisted: :twisted:
Old 01-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Senior Board Member

I used to deliver and haul out of CA but until they start talking sense or something comes along to make life easier for us in that state I don't see myself going to CA again. I have a feeling they are about to do one of 2 things.

1.) see a major loss of frieght in and out of state

or

2.) they just made a reason to increase the boarder program and will depend mostly on items from in mexico.

of course with CA being so strict on truck inspections I don't see why mexico would want to go there eather.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Statewide Regulation Now Limits Diesel-Fueled
Commercial Motor Vehicle Idling
The Law
On or after February 1, 2005, the driver of any vehicle subject to this section:
(1) shall not idle the vehicle’s primary diesel engine for greater than 5
minutes at any location (please see “When can I idle?”)
(2) shall not idle a diesel-fueled auxiliary power system (APS) for more than 5
minutes to power a heater, air conditioner, or any ancillary equipment on the
vehicle if you have a sleeper berth and you’re within 100 feet of a restricted
area (homes and schools)
Who’s affected by the new regulation?
Operators of diesel-fueled commercial motor vehicles that weigh more than 10,000 pounds
operating in California, regardless of the state or country in which the vehicles are registered.
What are the penalties for non-compliance?
The driver of the vehicle is subject to a minimum civil penalty of $100 and to criminal penalties as
specified in the Health and Safety Code.
When can I idle?
Idling is allowed under these circumstances:
· A bus idling for up to 10 minutes prior to passenger boarding, or when passengers are onboard
· Idling of the main engine during sleeping or resting in a sleeper berth beyond 100 feet from any
restricted area (homes and schools)
· Idling when the vehicle must remain motionless due to traffic conditions
· Idling when the vehicle is queuing that at all times is beyond 100 feet from any restricted area
(homes and schools)
· Idling to verify safe operating condition
· Idling is mandatory for testing, servicing (cleaning of commercial vehicles/trucks/buses is not
considered servicing), repairing, or diagnostic purposes
· Idling when positioning or providing power for equipment that is performing work
· Idling when operating defrosters, heaters, air conditioners, or other equipment to prevent a safety
or health emergency
· Idling by authorized emergency vehicles
· Idling of military tactical vehicles during periods of training
· See regulation for details *
*REGULATION
For the text of the regulation, visit http://www.arb.ca.gov/toxics/idling/regtext.htm

I found this on the same page... now i am so confused. :evil:
Look at the dates. The one you quoted was the law in February 1, 2005. The one I quoted became effective on JANUARY 1, 2008.

kc0iv