User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 02:23 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

and to think, I actually had the safety director at company x to once Suggest
I get a Radar Detector and a Beartracker Scanner. Why don't you have one?

And they don't allow "illegal" equipment in their trucks...
Old 12-16-2007, 03:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRay
ROTFLMAO:

(You guys resurrected this thread, not me, OK? )

It takes TWO to truly triangulate a signal. The two stations that do the "DF'ing" and the station being hunted. The THREE together = the "triangle".

RR
Dang Ray, I guess I have been doing something that does not exist then! Signal triangulation in the true since is rarely used now! Most even basic systems utilize a simple reciever capable of tuning it to the frequency to be tracked, a simple doppler type device, and if ya want to get fancy, the sensitivity and transmitters signature can be clarified through simple, easily acquired software.

Sorry, but if a adequate and consistent signal is available, there is equipment available that can track a stationary or moving signal, without multiple triangulation. This little homebuilt unit I have, can do it easily!

Do a simple google search for radio fox hunting, and there is loads of information on a couple of different single reciever methods.
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 12-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Senior Board Member

I wish they enforced the 4 watt limit on CB...thats enough to talk 10 miles+ if you got it set up right...
Old 12-17-2007, 03:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One
I wish they enforced the 4 watt limit on CB...thats enough to talk 10 miles+ if you got it set up right...

I'd like to see you get 10+ miles out of a CB at 4 watts swinging about 7 watts installed on a fiberglass truck with any realistic set up ,and not out in areas like the desert . :wink:
Old 12-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
Quote:
Originally Posted by One

I'd like to see you get 10+ miles out of a CB at 4 watts swinging about 7 watts installed on a fiberglass truck with any realistic set up ,and not out in areas like the desert . :wink:

Well Big Jeep there are several reasons you won't see 10+ miles in town. The single biggest one being the electrical background noise.

The second one is people not having their transmitter set up correctly. Your example is a perfect example. If a transmitter is tuned correctly you won' see a swing from 4 to 7 watts. You will see a nice steady 4 watts output. That is assuming we are talking about an AM signal and not a SSB signal.

kc0iv
Old 12-18-2007, 02:34 AM

They think it is all in the "SWANG"! :wink:

RR
Old 12-18-2007, 03:37 AM
Board Regular

Ok, in all honesty, I bought my SS3900EGHP and converted it myself, simple task. I think it keyed 12 watts and might have swung 15. It did a great job. Since, I've had lots of work done to it, so it now keys 4 watts and swings over 60 with very bold and clear modulation. The difference is that now I am over a hundred bucks lighter and my radio is louder, although I don't seem to be able to talk any further.

Funny thing though. People seem to think that if they can talk 5 miles with 20 watts, they can surely talk 50 miles with 200 watts. It just doesn't work like that at all.

My little illegal radio does sound good though. Or so I'm told.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit102
Ok, in all honesty, I bought my SS3900EGHP and converted it myself, simple task. I think it keyed 12 watts and might have swung 15. It did a great job. Since, I've had lots of work done to it, so it now keys 4 watts and swings over 60 with very bold and clear modulation. The difference is that now I am over a hundred bucks lighter and my radio is louder, although I don't seem to be able to talk any further.

Funny thing though. People seem to think that if they can talk 5 miles with 20 watts, they can surely talk 50 miles with 200 watts. It just doesn't work like that at all.

My little illegal radio does sound good though. Or so I'm told.
Bandit As I said before if there is a up swing in output power the the transmitter is over modulating. Which in turn causes distortion among other things. The thing is that most people don't know what a good transmitter sounds like and thereby really can't judge.

There is a test used by good technician that is called a two tone test. It will show how well the transmitter can reproduce the audio from the microphone. I can assure you if the transmitter is over modulating, as shown by the two tone test, the transmitter isn't tuned properly.

The second thing about increasing power in a transmitter is most so called technicians change out the output transistor(s) and don't address the requirement of the transmitter now needing an increase in the modulation circuits.

What I find odd is the CBer will accept a poor quality sound from a CB but would have a fit if their stereo sounded the same way.

As to power vs distance. On that one I totally agree.

kc0iv
Old 12-18-2007, 08:57 PM

Drive down the road and listen to the drivers. At least 60% of them sound AWFUL, and you're right. Many CB ops wouldn't know a GOOd-sounding transmitter if it smacked them in the face! And if it DID sound good, they'd run as fast as they could to some hack shop so it can get "clip this'd" and "snip that'd". Peak and tune (that's a laugh!), beep and squeak, 'fah'r in th' wah'r and all controls to the right. If it makes 4 watts, they want 10. IF it does 10, they want twenty! And heaven forbid they don't see "SWANG"! :wink: I can sit right here with my Swan peak-reading wattmeter and make it read whatever "watts" you want it to! It's all about separating a driver's $$$ and getting it to land in some sheister's pocket! Sad, really. :cry:

RR
Old 12-20-2007, 03:00 AM
Senior Board Member

If the finals only do 4watts...you're only gonna get 4watts out of it--that's as much a "swing" as you're gonna get.

The one that amazes me is these "peak & tuned" jobs that defy the laws of electronics & actually GENERATES POWER!

P=IE

you got a 12volt radio with a 2amp fuse in-line/

the radio tec finishes peaking it--hands it back and tells you "now it's putting out 50watts! dead keying 35!"

not only does the radio run 100% effiecently but is somehow generating power.
(maybe they installed you a built in kicker?)