User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Is Radio Ray anything like Cuba Gooding JR. in the Movie Radio ?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:46 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
Eh, terribly sorry. I plead ignorance.
I'm sorry, excuses are not tolerated. Welcome to CAD and we'll be sure to post a memorial for you. The pygmies would like to know if you want to be boiled, fried, or fricaseed? :shock:

Old 12-15-2007, 03:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Wow, definetely a suprise to see this thread resurected from the dead!
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 12-15-2007, 04:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
You do understand that you can be horribly executed and your body given to naked pygmy pilgrims as a sacrafice for resurrecting a Radio Ray thread. Men in black will be by your house shortly. Please go quietly and don't cause a scene. Thank you.

ROTFLMAO:

gee whiz, guess I need to trade in this little cobra 148 and get me a 10 meter----

Which would you recommend the Ranger or Galaxy? How about a 75meter?

Now, I may be wrong...forgive me....but, doesn't it take 3 radio receivers working together to "triangulate" the position of a radio source???
I would think, if the illegal user was smart enough not to TALK ABOUT what
truck he was driving, what highway he was on...his exact location and not
racchet jaw for hours at at time....he'd be hard to find....except for that
big coiled antenna on the truck.

I didn't read all the post(how could I in 2 minutes) but did RadioRay ever tell us if Smith Trucking did anything besides just "chuckle" and claim the ole.....we're not responsible for the personal actions of our drivers---the radios don't belong to us."
Old 12-15-2007, 04:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryhorseman
Wow, definetely a suprise to see this thread resurected from the dead!
It was never dead. The volume must have been turned down. 8)

Creek
Old 12-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="headborg

Now, I may be wrong...forgive me....but, doesn't it take 3 radio receivers working together to "triangulate" the position of a radio source???

I didn't read all the post(how could I in 2 minutes) but did RadioRay ever tell us if Smith Trucking did anything besides just "chuckle" and claim the ole.....we're not responsible for the personal actions of our drivers---the radios don't belong to us."[/quote]

On the tracking thing, No, it only takes one device these days to track a signal. I can do it quite easily, especially easy on high power transmitters. A little hobby called FoxHunting in the Radio world.

As for Smith and their letter, the management at the company made it company policy, to not have anything but box legal radios in their trucks. That came from one of their current drivers, about 2 months ago. The fines are real, trust me. Read my notes on another thread. The states now have the authority to enforce radio laws, and I know for Pennsylvannia is doing it ( my radio was checked last year) and Texas is starting to below San Antonio.

The FCC is not the only one you have to watch out for! Have a nice day.

Not trying to preach like RR does, just giving you some of the facts.
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 12-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Senior Board Member

ok so; in "fox hunting" you hit the highway tracking signal strength---and you have the advantage with a ungoverned car to overtake a fleeing illegally
strong signal because Freeways are directional ribbons----he's only going north or south/ or east or west.

Now, you catch the Tiger by the Tail----but are you law enforcement?
what do you do? record the transmission on "your" band and take pictures/video of the driver transmitting on your band. Call ahead and have him stopped?

I thought the catch was-- it's legal to own one of these radios.
Just not-- legal to "operate" it without a license.

I would think--in a court of law--the driver's lawyer would be saying----

but, can you prove it was this man--on this radio.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Senior Board Member

I do fox hunting as a hobby, and yes, I can track a stationary or mobile signal. FoxHunting is also a valuable skill in Search and Rescue operations! Also, even though I am not law enforcement, an organization I am a member of can and has been called upon to assist law enforcement in various cases, since some amatuers have better equipment then the local governments.

Although I get highly annoyed, especially when on the East side of Houston, and all the jack off's with the noise toys, I have not had the inclination to find them. There are days I think about it, sure would be enjoyable to clip their coax when they are transmitting and hear the screaming inside when their finals and pills blow. :twisted:

An individual can own a 10 meter radio without a license, they cannot transmit without a license! The kicker comes in, and can easily be proven with a confiscated 10 meter radio, that is alleged to have been operating on 11 meter (CB). It is illegal to have a radio that is capable of transmitting on 11 meter, that is not type-approved. With the exception of a couple of 10 meter/Export) radios, most all require a physical change in the radio to be able to recieve/transmit on 11 meter. This is were the fines and confiscations are taking place in Texas. Having the modified radios in the truck/car. Along with dipsticks having a linear amp sitting in plain site on the dash or mounted to the radio. Linears attached to any 11 meter radio are illegal.

Like has been posted, the chances of being caught are slim, but it can happen.

Oh, try this someday, a simple way to track a loud signal! For those annoying butt's hiding behind the curtain at the truck stops. Disconnect the coax from the antenna, not from the radio, but the antenna on your radio. Drive around the truck stop, and that load mouths signal can easily be pin pointed within 2 or 3 trucks. Then it should not be hard to figure out which one is doing it. Myself and 3 other drivers did this in Amarillo one night. A driver was threatening to blow up the truck stop, and he was serious. We called law enforcement, tracked the truck down, and he was arrested. Upon search of the truck, the law did find the driver had the ability to create an explosive device. Not sure what happened to him, never heard anymore.

As for lawyers! Tape recordings, tracking records and testimonies are usually easily upheld, when those few cases do go to court. Most that are caught and fined the minimal fine, pay the fine and never go to court.

Again, I am not preaching! Someone asked a question, I am answering it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
ok so; in "fox hunting" you hit the highway tracking signal strength---and you have the advantage with a ungoverned car to overtake a fleeing illegally
strong signal because Freeways are directional ribbons----he's only going north or south/ or east or west.

Now, you catch the Tiger by the Tail----but are you law enforcement?
what do you do? record the transmission on "your" band and take pictures/video of the driver transmitting on your band. Call ahead and have him stopped?

I thought the catch was-- it's legal to own one of these radios.
Just not-- legal to "operate" it without a license.

I would think--in a court of law--the driver's lawyer would be saying----

but, can you prove it was this man--on this radio.
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 12-15-2007, 11:57 PM

ROTFLMAO:

gee whiz, guess I need to trade in this little cobra 148 and get me a 10 meter----

I didn't read all the post(how could I in 2 minutes) but did RadioRay ever tell us if Smith Trucking did anything besides just "chuckle" and claim the ole.....we're not responsible for the personal actions of our drivers---the radios don't belong to us."[/quote]

(You guys resurrected this thread, not me, OK? )

It takes TWO to truly triangulate a signal. The two stations that do the "DF'ing" and the station being hunted. The THREE together = the "triangle".

Trucking companies ARE responsible for the actions of their drivers according to DOT regulations. One of those regulations states that, in order to engage in interstate commerce, a truck must comply with ALL local, state AND Federal regulations. This INCLUDES the installation and/or USE of the so-called "10 Meter" radios. Thus, when a complaint is received by FCC, they can indeed go after the company and its drivers.

The companies HAVE been VERY cooperative with FCC in having the illegal radios removed from their fleets. They have NO interest in supporting illegal activity of its drivers that have the potential of causing THOUSANDS of dollars in fines to THEM. To learn of this, simply call the man who signs these letters! R. Hollingsworth, FCC Special Counsel for Amateur Enforcement: 1-717-338-2502 or email [email protected].

You will notice that when a company receives one of these letters,
Smith included, the letter states the following, "You are 'requested' to call me.....................to discuss this matter". This is NOT a request! It is a direct, mandatory requirement to reply to official FCC correspondence. Failure to do so WILL certainly trigger a fine for that one point alone. It is at this point that the company is instructed to have its drivers REMOVE the illegal equipment and prohibit them in company trucks. It is then a FIRING offense to have any illegal equipment in their trucks. They have, as I said, been VERY cooperative once they become aware that an illegal activity has been occuring in their trucks.

It is only "funny" until YOU get caught. There seems to be a kind of "rambo" effect peculiar to CB radio and trucking when someone gets a mike in their hands.

The bottom line is simply this: If you think you ARE big and bad, then simply keep your "export" radio ON the CB band. You do NOT have rights, privileges, or immunity to transmit anywhere else than the CB band. Period. It is actually kinda stupid, really; after all, do you REALLY think it would be OK to install a POLICE radio in your truck and jabber? How long do you think that would last? Yet you think (those of you who filch 10 Meters) you have some special privilege to use something you have NO business on!

To those who asked how drivers DO get caught, it works like this: The licensed folks who are ASSIGNED those frequencies simply drive along quietly listening to the truckers yapping on THEIR bands. Their AM transmissions stick out like a sore thumb because they usually occur on the lower end of 10 Meters where ONLY morse code, teletype and digital modes are allowed----even for the ham. The hams do NOT talk; the drivers don' t know they are being "stalked".

2. The drivers almost can't HELP talking; after all, they bought the illegal thing for that purpose.

3. They don't know that there's a ham driving along with them. Sooner or later they give away their location and other info that the hams can use to determine which truck is transmitting.

The info is then turned into that fellow I mentioned above who sends the company notice to stop the activity. It would be a BAD idea to ignore such a letter because it WILL then trigger actual enforcement action by FCC. They would then force the company to produce the truck and driver at a terminal while instructing them not to tamper with the equipment or tip off the driver. An FCC agent then would visit the terminal for the actual inspection.

And someone mentioned 75 Meters. The average CBer would NEVER get it to work. Simply put, you ain't qualified. The antennas are so big, and so "picky", they require special matching, etc, that they would soon give up. I ain't worried about the average CBer muckin' about on 75 Meters. They ain't got the ability, and the ones that DID would get the SAME reception from the licensed folks; they'd hunt him down, document his info, turn it in to "THE MAN". HaHA! And you can forget about your "18 feet of coax curing your 'SWR'sssssssssssssssssssssssss". LMAO!

They CAN (and will) get you if they want you!

RR
Old 12-16-2007, 12:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRay
ROTFLMAO:

I didn't read all the post(how could I in 2 minutes) but did RadioRay ever tell us if Smith Trucking did anything besides just "chuckle" and claim the ole.....we're not responsible for the personal actions of our drivers---the radios don't belong to us."

(You guys resurrected this thread, not me, OK? )

It takes TWO to truly triangulate a signal. The two stations that do the "DF'ing" and the station being hunted. The THREE together = the "triangle".

Trucking companies ARE responsible for the actions of their drivers according to DOT regulations. One of those regulations states that, in order to engage in interstate commerce, a truck must comply with ALL local, state AND Federal regulations. This INCLUDES the installation and/or USE of the so-called "10 Meter" radios. Thus, when a complaint is received by FCC, they can indeed go after the company and its drivers.

The companies HAVE been VERY cooperative with FCC in having the illegal radios removed from their fleets. They have NO interest in supporting illegal activity of its drivers that have the potential of causing THOUSANDS of dollars in fines to THEM. To learn of this, simply call the man who signs these letters! R. Hollingsworth, FCC Special Counsel for Amateur Enforcement: 1-717-338-2502 or email [email protected].

You will notice that when a company receives one of these letters,
Smith included, the letter states the following, "You are 'requested' to call me.....................to discuss this matter". This is NOT a request! It is a direct, mandatory requirement to reply to official FCC correspondence. Failure to do so WILL certainly trigger a fine for that one point alone. It is at this point that the company is instructed to have its drivers REMOVE the illegal equipment and prohibit them in company trucks. It is then a FIRING offense to have any illegal equipment in their trucks. They have, as I said, been VERY cooperative once they become aware that an illegal activity has been occuring in their trucks.

It is only "funny" until YOU get caught. There seems to be a kind of "rambo" effect peculiar to CB radio and trucking when someone gets a mike in their hands.

The bottom line is simply this: If you think you ARE big and bad, then simply keep your "export" radio ON the CB band. You do NOT have rights, privileges, or immunity to transmit anywhere else than the CB band. Period. It is actually kinda stupid, really; after all, do you REALLY think it would be OK to install a POLICE radio in your truck and jabber? How long do you think that would last? Yet you think (those of you who filch 10 Meters) you have some special privilege to use something you have NO business on!

To those who asked how drivers DO get caught, it works like this: The licensed folks who are ASSIGNED those frequencies simply drive along quietly listening to the truckers yapping on THEIR bands. Their AM transmissions stick out like a sore thumb because they usually occur on the lower end of 10 Meters where ONLY morse code, teletype and digital modes are allowed----even for the ham. The hams do NOT talk; the drivers don' t know they are being "stalked".

2. The drivers almost can't HELP talking; after all, they bought the illegal thing for that purpose.

3. They don't know that there's a ham driving along with them. Sooner or later they give away their location and other info that the hams can use to determine which truck is transmitting.

The info is then turned into that fellow I mentioned above who sends the company notice to stop the activity. It would be a BAD idea to ignore such a letter because it WILL then trigger actual enforcement action by FCC. They would then force the company to produce the truck and driver at a terminal while instructing them not to tamper with the equipment or tip off the driver. An FCC agent then would visit the terminal for the actual inspection.

And someone mentioned 75 Meters. The average CBer would NEVER get it to work. Simply put, you ain't qualified. The antennas are so big, and so "picky", they require special matching, etc, that they would soon give up. I ain't worried about the average CBer muckin' about on 75 Meters. They ain't got the ability, and the ones that DID would get the SAME reception from the licensed folks; they'd hunt him down, document his info, turn it in to "THE MAN". HaHA! And you can forget about your "18 feet of coax curing your 'SWR'sssssssssssssssssssssssss". LMAO!

They CAN (and will) get you if they want you!

RR[/quote]