User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 04:27 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
I'm not taking a jab at the driver who got the ticket..... But, as you can see, a driver who gets a ticket is between a rock and a hard spot. Either way, whether a lawyer is hired or not....the driver is going to have to spend $$$.

Wouldn't it just be easier to not get the tickets? As in...do the speed limit, or stay close enough not to attract attention.

His experience belies the fact that many drivers claim that the CHP and other cops will let you get away with XX speed. Its all BS. Its a completely discretionary issue for the LEO. Why take the chance?
Sky, i hear that all of the time

i think it boils down to we are "professional drivers" they trust us to drive in all sorts of weather and other conditions, we basically know the roads, traffic and our trucks

there is no reason on earth that its safe to drive 75 in nearby arizona and nevada, but its "wreckless" to drive 75 in cali (on the open road, not in the cities)

so it is not about safety, its about plainly obeying the law

well, i come from a perspective that not all laws are right, some are made for all types of reasons, california's abnormally low speed limit is not about safety

and it affects my income (55mph at $1.00/mile = $55/hour) (75mph @ same $1.00/mile = $75/hour)

so we gamble, and yes, we may get caught, but this "its the law" thing is really convenient when they base part of their government budget on catching people speeding with an artificially low speed limit

add to that the insurance companies are like hungry wolves looking to make more money, they attach your premiums to these same tickets.

I could tell you that i have driven every for 30 years and rarely go the speed limit, so according to common thinking, i must have left dead bodies all over the road, and wrecked thousands of times...........but no, no accidents, but plenty of speeding tickets. why is that? because accidents have nothing to do with 55mph, but have to do with many other causes.

but what does your average LEO focus on? what does your insurance company focus on? what does your DAC and MVR focus on? speed, speed speed

and what do we make money on? more miles per day (ie speed)

there was this debate i learned in school a long time ago

are laws made for people or people made for laws, and the more i see how uncle sam is trying to control every aspect of our lives, i really fear hearing more and more people saying " just obey the law"

reminds me of a lot of these "big brother" legislation and practices, and the retort you hear there "why worry if you have nothing to hide"

sheep ready for slaughter
Old 09-06-2007, 03:04 AM
Board Regular

I have to agree. Nothing to do with safety.
Bobtail tractor=55mph
Greyhound bus loaded with 50+ people=70mph.
Where is the sense in that? :roll: