User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New HOA Questions

I keep hearing that there is a change happening either on Sept 1st or Sept 14th. I have tried finding the details, but cant seem to find exactly what is going on. All the "news" articals are crap, and I cant find any updates with good info any other place.

Does anyone know exactly what is going on yet? Or know a good website that is up to date and current in regards to this stuff???

Chop
Old 09-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Board Regular

As of today, no change, all we know is that the court has made a ruling to (my terminology may be wrong) overturn the 11th hour and the 34 hour reset provisions of the current rule.

Best website to watch in my opinion is the FMCSA's own website

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov

As for now, no change for us, I anticipate that about the 13th of Sept, FMCSA will file an appeal that will delay the ruling but who know!!
Old 09-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Rookie
Default Thanks for your reply

Ok.....so what exactly does the "overturn" mean if it takes place? I mean, now you can run 70hrs in 8 days and or take 34 hrs off to reset that figure.

If they overturn the 11hr and 34hr reset.....what exactly will be the driving laws???

I do auto transport local but I'm looking to start going about 1,500 miles out and would like to know exactly how to log and what is and what isnt legal for me!

Thanks for your reply!

CHop
Old 09-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Assuming that the three-judge panel has had the last word, and that's not an assumption that I would make...

The 11th hour would be dropped. Ten hours in a shift would be the limit.

The 34 hour restart would be dropped. The only way to get hours back would be to wait and pick up whatever you used eight days ago.

The 10 hour break and 14 hour rule would be maintained, as the recent ruling failed (or in the case of the 14 hour rule, refused) to address them.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 09-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Rookie
Default thanks for replying

So basically if I log 10hrs a day and max at my 70hrs then just stick to driving what is left on my 8th day, I should be legal all the time then. Right???

I assume that If I have 70hrs logged right now and I'm sitting somewhere. What ever I had 8 days ago will be in effect tonight at midnight for me to start driving? Even though that 34 hrs reset is "still" in effect???

Let me ask this now....... Lets say I just got home and just logged my 70hrs. IF THE RESET OF 34 IS GONE( LETS SAY IT IS NOT IN EFFECT RIGHT NOW) and I take 3 days off.......When I get back in the truck on Thursday.......would I gain back the hrs of mon-wed?? Like for mon-wed.....once they are my 8th day......if i logged 10hrs for each day....would I be gaining back 30hrs?????

Thanks
Old 09-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Senior Board Member

If I'm understanding the question correctly, yes you would gain back three days' worth of hours if you sat at home for three days, rather than the full 70 that you could regain under current rules.

Using 10 hours a day, as per your first example, you would be forced to take a day off every eighth day. 10x7=70, leaving zero hours available for day #8. Then, for the following seven days, you would pick up 10 hours each day, before again picking up zero on day #8.

Using 8.75 hours a day, you could continue indefinitely without ever running out of hours.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 09-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Senior Board Member

If the industry does end up having to go back to the old school way of accumulating hours it is almost a must to use the hour recap chart found in the front of your log book. Once you start filling it in things become a lot easier to understand.

For practice take an old log book and go back and fill in the recap using various totals.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:28 PM

If the 34 hr reset is gone isnt this going to affect the regional guys who run hard all week and go home for the weekend to reset their hours? Sounds to me like its just gonna complicate things even more out here on the road. :evil:
Old 09-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
Assuming that the three-judge panel has had the last word, and that's not an assumption that I would make...

The 11th hour would be dropped. Ten hours in a shift would be the limit.

The 34 hour restart would be dropped. The only way to get hours back would be to wait and pick up whatever you used eight days ago.

The 10 hour break and 14 hour rule would be maintained, as the recent ruling failed (or in the case of the 14 hour rule, refused) to address them.
So in fact, we would get the worst rules of each of the 3 different sets of rules in the past 70 years.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
So in fact, we would get the worst rules of each of the 3 different sets of rules in the past 70 years.
BINGO! That's the idea man. Where have you been all this time? They really want us to only drive 8 hours a day, only in daylight, and to take 24 hours off before driving again, and to take every other month off, and never drive on days that end in Y.

That way those nasty horrible dangerous trucks won't be killing 40,000,000 people every day on America's highways, and they won't be ruining Antartica with their horrible pollution either.

Besides, we don't need trucks. We can do it all with trains. Trains are much better, because they do most of their thing out of public view, where everyone ignores them, and those evil nasty horrible wretched foul evil nasty horrible trucks are EVERYWHERE, stinking the place up, making it dirty, making it ugly. Not to mention those damn truck drivers, who are all fat gay drug addicts who sleep with prostitutes and have Herpes.