User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 03:23 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Logging/On duty/Off-duty question

Ok, we are once again trying to figure out what actually counts as legal and what is "creative".
Scenerio:
Day began at 5 am, 15 pretrip, drove 1.5 miles to shipper, waited until 10 to dock,sat until 12 pm. Company is saying if under 20 miles were driven its not required to log it as on duty, and trying to say he didn't need to do his pretrip until 10 when he docked to the shipper, and that would be when he went on duty.
Sounds fishy to me, but I'm unsure if the short distance makes a difference as they are saying. Thanks for the input (and arguing) I'm sure will follow :lol:
Old 12-27-2006, 04:00 AM
Senior Board Member

If you look hard enough you can find the loophole regarding small time increments not needing to be logged. I am not going to take the time to look it up tonight. Technically any activity that takes 7 minutes or less "MAY" be ommited from the logbook. This is the same as not breaking up your sleeper berth break for 5 minutes to visit the restroom, or not logging drive time when you take two minutes to move to a better spot in the truckstop during your break.

It all depends on weather you want to follow the letter or the spirit of the law. The choice is up to you. A better solution may have been to park at the shipper so no action would have been required until the loading process began.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 12-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Ok, we are once again trying to figure out what actually counts as legal and what is "creative".
Logging what was done, when it was done, for exactly the amount of time it was done is legal. Everything else is "creative".

Anyway the "anything less than 20 mile and it doesn't have to be logged" bit is wrong.

What a driver can do is when making multiple pickup and deliveries in the same town they can log all the dock time spent together in a single entry and all the driving time spent making those stops together in a single entry.

Anyway time spent doing an activity of less than 15 minutes may be flagged in the remarks section of the log book as already mentioned. The time spent on those activites in the flags must be added into the correct time frame at the end of the day however.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
The time spent on those activites in the flags must be added into the correct time frame at the end of the day however.
Please cite this in a regulation or an interpretation, as I don't believe it exists.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:04 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:
Logging what was done, when it was done, for exactly the amount of time it was done is legal. Everything else is "creative".

Anyway the "anything less than 20 mile and it doesn't have to be logged" bit is wrong.

What a driver can do is when making multiple pickup and deliveries in the same town they can log all the dock time spent together in a single entry and all the driving time spent making those stops together in a single entry.

Anyway time spent doing an activity of less than 15 minutes may be flagged in the remarks section of the log book as already mentioned. The time spent on those activities in the flags must be added into the correct time frame at the end of the day however.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this what you are trying to state here? This is the regulation regarding logging multiple stops in the same city etc. Same thing I believe you are trying to say here, but you made it sound like at the end of the day they account for the time: The best way to put it is. You can combine all time spent on line 4 and all time spent on line 3 together. The on-duty must be logged at the beginning of the time you was in the same city and the line 3 time must be logged at the end of the period you was running in the same city. Then you would carry on as normal logging or take your 10! I hope this also clears up Rev's request for you to show it from the book.

Question 6: How should multiple short stops in a town or city be recorded on a record of duty status?

Guidance: All stops made in any one city, town, village or municipality may be computed as one. In such cases the sum of all stops should be shown on a continuous line as on-duty (not driving). The aggregate driving time between such stops should be entered on the record of duty status immediately following the on-duty (not driving) entry. The name of the city, town, village, or municipality, followed by the State abbreviation where all the stops took place, must appear in the "remarks" section of the record of duty status.

Sorry if this is not what you was referring to :lol:
Old 12-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Board Icon

I think he was referring to this:

Quote:
Question 1: How should a change of duty status for a short period of time be shown on the driver's record of duty status?

Guidance: Short periods of time (less than 15 minutes) may be identified by drawing a line from the appropriate on-duty (not driving) or driving line to the remarks section and entering the amount of time, such as "6 minutes," and the geographic location of the duty status change.
However, nowhere in the regulation does it state that you need to add those periods of time up at the end of the day, and add it to the total amount.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
I think he was referring to this:

Quote:
Question 1: How should a change of duty status for a short period of time be shown on the driver's record of duty status?

Guidance: Short periods of time (less than 15 minutes) may be identified by drawing a line from the appropriate on-duty (not driving) or driving line to the remarks section and entering the amount of time, such as "6 minutes," and the geographic location of the duty status change.
However, nowhere in the regulation does it state that you need to add those periods of time up at the end of the day, and add it to the total amount.
Only Uturn will know what he was thinking for sure! Between the 2 of us, it is one of them he was referring to. It could be a combination of both.

The statement below
UTURN
What a driver can do is when making multiple pickup and deliveries in the same town they can log all the dock time spent together in a single entry and all the driving time spent making those stops together in a single entry. is what makes me believe he is trying to explain the Q&A I posted.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Sometimes I think I get it, then other times it gets confusing, mostly when people start to argue a point or 2.

Guess I'll figure it out when I'm actually on the road. Tho I think I get most of it. Just hope I don't get fined in the process of figuring it out.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasman2
Sometimes I think I get it, then other times it gets confusing, mostly when people start to argue a point or 2.

Guess I'll figure it out when I'm actually on the road. Tho I think I get most of it. Just hope I don't get fined in the process of figuring it out.
The moment I start to think I get it, my husband mentions something else. The thing for me is I will never DO it, so I doubt I'll ever truly understand, just don't like it when his dispatcher tries to tell him he should have run until 2 am and had the load delivered on time, even though he'd been up since 5 am trying to deliver the load before. I'm trying to learn the "give and take" that goes with the industry..while still trying to help him learn to run as legal as he can.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by madii'swife
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasman2

The moment I start to think I get it, my husband mentions something else. The thing for me is I will never DO it, so I doubt I'll ever truly understand, just don't like it when his dispatcher tries to tell him he should have run until 2 am and had the load delivered on time, even though he'd been up since 5 am trying to deliver the load before. I'm trying to learn the "give and take" that goes with the industry..while still trying to help him learn to run as legal as he can.
good luck. if he was to tired to drive just say that. hours should not even come into play. the problem is some guys goof of all day and then when they are late they cry out of hours. you also have some guys that dont worry about hours and log creativly and get the load there no matter what. his dispatcher doesnt know what type he is yet. me personally i would have taken a nap and got the load there but I dont know the whole story. in all honesty most dispatchers dont care about hours and such they just want the load there so they dont get chewed out when its not. your hunsband just needs to do what he is comforable with cause he is the only one that will have to live with the choices that he makes. next time the dispatcher tells him something he is not comforable tell him to ask if he wants to discuss it with safety.