User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
I think alot of drivers were in favor of change too,I remember everyone saying how outdated the rules were and it needed to be changed,but just remember what some have said before becareful what you wish for you may just get it.

I think the 34 hr reset is good,the 11 hr driving good and also I can live with 10hr off duty,but come on do not pigeon hole me into making it all work in a 14 hour period.
If it meant getting rid of the 14 hour rule, I would gladly lose the 11 th hour driving. I think the 10 hour rule is actually a good thing, but shouldn't have to be split into an 8-2 combination if you are splitting.

I wouldn't give up the 34 hour reset if my life depended on it.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:28 AM

Remember if you are only driving for the entire day doing no other on duty not driving in that 14 hour time period. You could possibly use the extra three hours in that 14 hours to take smaller one hour breaks without wasting your 11 driving time.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that is how I understand it.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:31 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckfam
Remember if you are only driving for the entire day doing no other on duty not driving in that 14 hour time period. You could possibly use the extra three hours in that 14 hours to take smaller one hour breaks without wasting your 11 driving time.

Yes, but a one hour break is hardly enough to get rest if you need it.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:35 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckfam

Yes, you could drive for 11 hours total and have also taken another 3 hours off either incrementally or in a lump sum. That would give you 14 hours and then you could not drive until you have taken 10 consecutive hours off duty or in the sleeper berth.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:48 AM

Very true, but I was thinking more along the lines of being able to streach you legs, eating, and going to the bathroom.

If you really needed the break, but still wanted to keep your 10, you could combine all three hours in one break to take a decent nap. Or the three hours could be combined with the two in the first part of the sleeper to take a serious nap.

I'm more concerned about truckers who feel that they have to go 11 hours straight whether or not they have to go to the bathroom or need to eat. Not eating and not getting enough nutrients in your system can lead poor decision making since hunger can affect the brain after awhile. If I don't eat, I get a headache and disy with a sick feeling in my stomach. Not going to the bathroom can lead to major blatter problems.

The people who made up this stupid rule didn't stop to think. I think it would have been easier to say you can only drive 11 hours and take an 8 hour sleeper in a 24 hour time period. That way everyone would be able to set their own hours as to when they drove, took breaks, and needed sleep.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:15 PM

I agree with the Rev, partly.....
the 34 reset is good, but I would rather not lose the 11th hour either.

As for the split sleeper provision...it needs some "fine-tuning"...

Until they fix the mess here's how I deal with the rules we got...(please nobody jump my ass just tell me if you think I might get nicked for something....)

You have the rule that states no driving after the 14the hour coming on duty...
say you start at 6am....you must stop driving at 8pm...
for those 14 intervening hours I drive, might take a break here or there...but I log ALL my breaks...even an hour for a meal or small rest as off duty. It helps to log it as off duty (if you can legally justify that you are) so that when you start getting close to your 70 (or 60) it minimizes the number of hours there.
Now, if my break stretches to 2 hours...long meal, add a few minutes of TV in the lounge or a (really) quick shower....I have my 2 hours for the split...the 2hr break does not stop the 14hr clock so I still have to quit at 8pm but I can drive right up till 8:00 exactly...then my post trip inspection, fuel or whatever, is just a little more on duty not driving time. Now, instead of 10 hrs off...I can log 8 in the rack and start at 4:15 or so.

If you get the time during that first 14 though for a solid 8 in the rack and take it, now you can drive straight thru till 4am cuz the 8 rack stops the 14 hr clock.

It all depends on the particular situation of course but I try whenever possible to plan my run, pickpus, dropoffs, fuel stops breaks etc to jive with the current rule environment.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Quote:
The only time the 8-2 or 2-8 applies is if you are splitting your sleeper berth time into 2 periods, with on duty or driving time between them.
Interesting. I didn't realize the 10 hours needn't be consecutive. So I can drive 11, sleep 8, drive again then sleep 2?
This was skipped over. The answer is NO.

IF you drive all 11 hours at one time, you have NO MORE hours to drive after the 8 hour sleeper berth... and before the 2 hour break.

The split break system allows you to drive say.. 6 hours, sleep for 8, drive the other 5, then sleep/break/eat dinner for 2. Then you can drive the original 6 hours again, and so on.

If you drive ALL 11 hours at one time, you MUST take a full 10 hour reset before you have ANY hours to drive again... at which time you would have ALL 11 again.

In your original question, since you are taking the full 10 hour break at one time, YES... you can eat for 1, sleep for 8, and eat for another 1. The only time the 2 hour break has to be "consecutive" although it can be mix and match, is when you are using it to combine with the other 8 hour SLEEPER break to make a total of 10 hours for the purpose of split logging. In other words... a one hour break, followed by ANY onduty time for say an hour, then another 1 hour break buys you NOTHING as it concerns the split logging rule. One break must be 8 consecutive hours in the sleeper.... and the other MUST be 2 consecutive hours wherever and however you want them.

Carry on , y'all! I gotta go to Seattle!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:01 AM
Board Icon

Traveler15301 said:

Quote:
Now, if my break stretches to 2 hours...long meal, add a few minutes of TV in the lounge or a (really) quick shower....I have my 2 hours for the split...the 2hr break does not stop the 14hr clock so I still have to quit at 8pm but I can drive right up till 8:00 exactly...then my post trip inspection, fuel or whatever, is just a little more on duty not driving time. Now, instead of 10 hrs off...I can log 8 in the rack and start at 4:15 or so.
You seem to have a good basic grip on it, but I'd like to make one point. Although you mentioned logging "other" breaks, in your example you only mention ONE break that stretches to 2 hours (so you can use it to split.)

2 hours from 14, leaves 12 hours. Remember that you can ONLY drive 11, so in order to drive "right up til 8:00," you would have to have logged an additional hour as breaks or on duty not driving. (and yes... they can be 15 mins here or there that add up to 1 additional hour of NOT driving.)

Old 11-22-2006, 03:30 PM

of course you are correct...it is far too complicated and there can be so many variations and unique circumstances....the permutations are astronomical.

The simple point is...if you follow the letter of the law....never exceed the maximums (even if it means looking at your clock and saying.."oops...have to shut down right now!"...though that should never happen if you are paying attention) and keep your logs current AND legal...you will be fine. Personally, I have NEVER received a log book violation...I'm not braggin' here....its not "damn I'm good".....its "I always try to be careful and thorough, and damn I've been lucky!!!"

As for the "drive right up till 8:00" example I gave...the presumtion is that there had to be some other off-duty or on-duty not driving time in there...I was merely pointing out that you cannot drive afterthat 14th hour after coming on duty...but say you pull in to the dock right at 8:00 in this example and still have some on-duty time available...you can still log your post insp. and unloading time and still be legal if you have the hours....THAT is why I still log my meal (though it may only be an hour) and "other" breaks during the day...it might make a difference at the end of the day and also saves you on your 70 come the end of your 7 days.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Board Icon

Traveler15301 wrote:

Quote:
Until they fix the mess here's how I deal with the rules we got...(please nobody jump my ass just tell me if you think I might get nicked for something....)
Permutations, eh? Good word! :lol:

My reply was in the spirit of your request as stated above. I didn't want to PRESUME anything. And, I certainly didn't mean to offend. 8)