User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hmmmm

Since I started this thread and watching it since it's inception I seem to be leaning more and more towards Myth_Busters line of thinking. Although he may be a bit offensive he makes some very valid points, just not very politly. Just look at the threads where drivers are asking to be taken as professionals, there are too many to mention to say the least. We want more money and respect well then lets earn it not not just take it!
I drove from 75-90 and then went on to be an executive in the computer industry, got downsized and returned to OTR trucking. WOW what a difference 17 years makes in an industry. We are no longer just drivers but engineers and our salaries show it. (Most civil engineers make approx $40k pr/yr) I highly doubt a court of law would let the engineer who designed a bridge that collapsed, killing a few people, use the defense of "I didn't know there were different laws in that county/parish" so why should we be able to use that defense.
A "money maker" for the states,,,,most likely but still no excuse to not know our jobs. And if you really think about it there are many many more lucritive "money makers" out there than a $25 fine.
I know I am going to be flamed for this but that's life on the boards.

Myth_Buster it just dawned on me who you are yesterday. Are you in D.C. or one of the remote offices of the Fed.?
Old 10-19-2006, 01:49 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Myth_Buster, please tell me...

If you look at "MARATIME LAW", the least maneuverable vessel has the "RIGHT-OF-WAY". Another words, a little rowboat has the right of way over a fishing boat with a 5 horse motor. A super-tanker has the right of way over a 40 foot yacht. Yet, when it comes to our hiways, the much more maneuverable 4-wheelers have much more right-of-way over the far less maneuverable 18-wheelers...

WHY??????

Old 10-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker

If you look at "MARATIME LAW", the least maneuverable vessel has the "RIGHT-OF-WAY". Another words, a little rowboat has the right of way over a fishing boat with a 5 horse motor. A super-tanker has the right of way over a 40 foot yacht. Yet, when it comes to our hiways, the much more maneuverable 4-wheelers have much more right-of-way over the far less maneuverable 18-wheelers...

WHY??????
Windwalker, I doubt you'll ever get the "whys" answered, in this post or any other. I wish you could because there are many of us wanting to know those same "whys".
Old 10-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker

WHY??????
Because we're a bigger and easier Target
Old 10-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Because we're a bigger and easier Target
SO TRUE!! as far as my comment I should said that we'll never hear an answer to the "whys" from anyone who "works" in the "rule making" dept.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Board Icon

I'm not trying to BAIT him. So many times, I've heard on the CB about "THAT STUPID 4-WHEELER", but some of them are doctors, lawyers, teachers, business executives... They're NOT STUPID, but they are UN-INFORMED An agency charged with safety on the hiway should be informing the public about various aspects of what is not safe to do, but I don't see it being done. Perhaps, because, while it may save quite a number of lives, it DOES NOT BRING IN ANY REVENUE.

There are times, I get the impression that WE ARE BEING USED AS A TOOL OF POPULATION CONTROL. To stand these people up against a wall and shoot them would be entirely UN-ACCEPTABLE. But... "we're terribly sorry, but your son (daughter, father, mother, sister, brother) was killed in an accident with a truck", is perfectly okay. They don't have to take the blame for that.

When 74% of all car/truck accidents are caused by the cars, not the trucks (according to studies) simple logic says that you must work on the cars for safety, not the trucks. By coming down on trucks for safety, you can only improve safety by 26%. But by coming down on the cars, you have a chance of improving safety by 74%. Where's the common sense in it? If you have a horse and a mule in a team, and the mule (being stuborn like they are) sits on it's haunches and refuses to pull, you don't whip the horse because it can't pull the load AND THE MULE, do you? Or am I wrong? Has there been some legislation that I missed, where safety isn't a cooperative effort anymore?

More than 40 years ago, the State of Wisconsin did a study. They were astounded to find that of those that had their driver's license more than 5 years, 85% could not pass the same driving test that was being given to new drivers to get their license. And, it has not improved over the years.

CA has regulations in place where they can charge you THOUSANDS of dollars for logbook infractions that result from simply human error in addition and subtraction. But what are they doing with the 4-wheelers to make the hiways safer? Is it safety? Or is it a MONEY GAME UNDER THE GUISE OF SAFETY???? Educating the public doesn't bring in any revenue, does it? So, the lady, with two occupied infant seats in back, that darts across 3 lanes of traffic to get to an exit ramp, then hits the brakes because someone else cut her off, is in the right. And because I happen to be in the lane where she hit the brakes 50 feet in front of me, I'm in the wrong. (No, I didn't hit her)

Must be nice to have the authority to work with what ever area you want to choose. "Okay, men, the ship just struck an iceberg and has a hole in the bow. Water's coming in. If we don't do something, it's going to sink. Too much trouble trying to go against the current of the water coming in, so let's put the patch on the stern." Maybe I am just an "OLD FOGIE" born before the computer age. I still look to the old sense of logic. It's the HOLE you have to plug, not just put a patch somewhere.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:27 AM

Am I the only one that sees the irony here it was a $ 25.00 ticket and she had her lawyer take it to an appellate court. Come on now to me that just doesn't seem to very smart.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:48 AM

WW:

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

The name of the agency sizes it up pretty well.

The government does not have unlimited powers. Jurisdiction is a major issue.

Be safe.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:44 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth_Buster
WW:

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

The name of the agency sizes it up pretty well.

The government does not have unlimited powers. Jurisdiction is a major issue.

Be safe.
I find it very interesting that you only give out information that is already public knowledge. But, in return, you are getting information that can be used in several ways. I've also talked, in person, to other FMCSA and they, at least, tried to give me an answer. You're coming across like a VERY SHREWD ATTORNEY. Yes, I do believe what you're saying about the rules and regs, but I do not believe you are who you say you are. Who do you REALLY represent??? P.A.T.T, C.R.A.S.H. or some other special interest group? Getting into a discussion about my questions will not give you what you want from us, so pass them off. From an attorney that's fishing for information to use, that makes all the sense in the world. And, you've been at it for a while too.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:54 AM

WW, you really have to get ahold of yourself. I know my limitations and what policy allows me to offer. We are not on the phone, this is a public forum.

Quote:
About FMCSA

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) was established as a separate administration within the U.S. Department of Transportation on January 1, 2000, pursuant to the Motor Carrier Safety Improvement Act of 1999.

Our primary mission is to reduce crashes, injuries, and fatalities involving large trucks and buses.

FMCSA is headquartered in Washington, DC. We employ more than 1,000 individuals, in all 50 States and the District of Columbia, dedicated to improving bus and truck safety and saving lives.
Quote:
§390.3 General applicability.

(a) The rules in Subchapter B of this chapter are applicable to all employers, employees, and commercial motor vehicles, which transport property or passengers in interstate commerce.
As mentioned jurisdiction is a major issue. There are other government agencies responsible for automobile safety.

NHTSA

The FMCSA cannot overstep its jurisdiction.

Be safe.