Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   Pennsylvania is at it again! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/21384-pennsylvania-again.html)

Unicorn 10-15-2006 02:00 PM

Pennsylvania is at it again!

I am home for a few days and read this in the Harrisburg, PA paper this morning. Hopefully this is the correct place to post it if not then please move it Mr/Ms moderator.
I guess we are now expected to read the fulll PA codes book. (all 2968 pages of it in small print)

Peace and God Blss all,
Unicorn (Greg)

http://www.pennlive.com/search/index...ennnews&coll=1

Trucks must keep right
Court upholds conviction for driving in left lane of I-81
Sunday, October 15, 2006
BY PETE SHELLEM
Of The Patriot-News
You wouldn't know it from driving the interstates around Harrisburg, but tractor-trailers and other large vehicles are not allowed to drive in the left lane of any three-lane highway.

The state Superior Court affirmed the Dauphin County conviction of a Greensboro, N.C., truck driver who was cited for driving in the left lane of Interstate 81 in Susquehanna Twp. on April 13, 2005.

The court said Wednesday that the restriction applies to vehicles of more than 10,000 pounds traveling on any highway with three or more lanes going in the same direction, regardless of whether there is a sign posting the prohibition.

Truck driver Samantha J. McBryde's lawyer argued the law requires a sign to notify drivers, but the Superior Court panel agreed with Dauphin County Judge Bruce Bratton, who found the statute requires signs only when the state Department of Transportation makes restrictions that are not in the law.

Deputy District Attorney James P. Barker, who argued the case before the appellate court, said the law has been in place since 2001. It was passed as part of the law that requires drivers to stay in the right lane except when passing.

He said state police were unsure if the law could be enforced.

"With cases like this, when there are objections as to whether or not they can enforce it, they are concerned about what to do with it," Barker said.

State police spokeswoman Trooper Linette Quinn said troopers enforce the law if they see violations. However, they use discretion when traffic is heavy or trucks are trying to get into the right lanes.

"If they're in the left lane or holding up traffic, by all means they can be cited, and they will be if there's a trooper there to witness it," Quinn said.

She said troopers issued 402 citations for the violation in 2005 statewide and have written 228 this year.

The violation carries a $25 fine, which McBryde was ordered to pay.

yoopr 10-15-2006 04:23 PM

Been awhile since I ran in that area but according to what you wrote PA. Doesn't even have a Sign for Lane Restrictions?
Sounds like a Fundraising event for PA.

10-15-2006 04:46 PM

We should all know by now that they ALL states see 18 wheelers as a rolling source of easy revenue.

yoopr 10-15-2006 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
We should all know by now that they ALL states see 18 wheelers as a rolling source of easy revenue.

That is true

Myth_Buster 10-15-2006 08:44 PM

yoopr says:

Quote:

Sounds like a Fundraising event for PA.
ironeagle2006 continues the triad with:

Quote:

:roll:

The article says:

Quote:

The violation carries a $25 fine, which McBryde was ordered to pay.
And further explaining:

Quote:

State police spokeswoman Trooper Linette Quinn said troopers enforce the law if they see violations. However, they use discretion when traffic is heavy or trucks are trying to get into the right lanes.
Another example of drivers wanting to whine and complain about nothing. A $25 penaty is revenue generating? Pitiful gentelmen. You have no idea of the circumstances of the citation and you want to slander the people enforcing the law. Who says Ms. Mcbryde wasn't out there in the left lane because she was too lazy or afraid to change lanes or she was out there doing 80 mph and the officer cut her some slack and wrote her a ticket for a lesser amount?

FYI, Illinois has a law that requires you to stay right unless you're passing.

Get a grip people, sheesh. $25 is not a benefit to the state, by the time the paperwork goes through the system it cost the state to write the ticket. The law was most likely enforced because the driver was being stupid.

Be safe.

yoopr 10-15-2006 09:27 PM

Who says Ms. Mcbryde wasn't out there in the left lane because she was too lazy or afraid to change lanes or she was out there doing 80 mph and the officer cut her some slack and wrote her a ticket for a lesser amount?

Yeah and maybe she was wanted for Murder and was in the Hammer lane trying to outrun the Cops :roll:

If there's not a lane restriction Sign there should be No tickets issued for using it-And Yes, that is fundraising if they nail 100 trucks a day. Figure it out.

Unicorn 10-15-2006 10:20 PM

Quote:

Who says Ms. Mcbryde wasn't out there in the left lane because she was too lazy or afraid to change lanes or she was out there doing 80 mph and the officer cut her some slack and wrote her a ticket for a lesser amount?

Yeah and maybe she was wanted for Murder and was in the Hammer lane trying to outrun the Cops

If there's not a lane restriction Sign there should be No tickets issued for using it-And Yes, that is fundraising if they nail 100 trucks a day. Figure it out.

Agreed yoopr. I get the feeling Myth_buster is missing the whole point (maybe looking for a flame?) They readily admit there are no signs stating this law (which living in the area I can verify) which means they are assuming that anybody in-state or from anywhere for that matter knows PA law as well as any lawyer. And yes, before you flame me Myth, "lack of knowledge of the law is no defense" at least give us a chance to do the right thing. I highly doubt the driver was hauling a** thru there since that is the second busiest corridor in the country, next to Nashville, it seems to always be full of traffic. Lazy, possibly, Stupid,hmmmmmm could be. Figutive, highly doubtful to say the least.
In her defense I admit to using the left lane in that area, especially in the mornings as there is usually a backup due to people getting off for work there in the capitol. I never even really thought about the left lane restriction since I WAS legally passing slowed traffic. Another point is that there is a pull off there that the cops use and I have frequently tipped my hat to the officer sitting there, while in the left lane with either a set of pups or a 53' trailer.
Just food for thought.

Uturn2001 10-15-2006 10:55 PM

While I fully agree there should be signs posted of the lane restriction, I am going to play devil's advocate here and say that in most areas I run in heavy trucks are not allowed in the far left lane of a 3 or more lane (6 or more if you want to look at it that way) road unless posted otherwise.

Malaki86 10-15-2006 11:00 PM

It may only be a $25 fine, but how about the court costs? There's another $100 or more easily on top of it.

Myth_Buster 10-15-2006 11:02 PM

yoopr says:

Quote:

It's simple economics, I don't care if they write 1,000 tickets a day. At $25 the state looses money. If one ticket is challenged any benefit is quickly wiped out.

Processing the ticket cost money.

1. Officer has to write ticket
2. Officer has to turn ticket into office where a admin person handles the ticket
3. Admin person has to send information to the state/county/or city office who has to handle the ticket.
4. If no one challenges the ticket the letter is received and a person has to enter the citation into the system.

By the time it's all said and done at leat three perople have handled the ticket in one form or anther distracting from their other duties.

Unicorn says:

Quote:

Agreed yoopr. I get the feeling Myth_buster is missing the whole point (maybe looking for a flame?) They readily admit there are no signs stating this law (which living in the area I can verify) which means they are assuming that anybody in-state or from anywhere for that matter knows PA law as well as any lawyer.
Are there any signs that say no lane change without signaling? How about signs that say seat belt required? Weight limit 80,000 pounds?

California doesn't post lane restrictions every where for trucks however, many drivers are well aware of the consequences of driving a truck in the left lane. I can guarantee you that California doesn't charge $25 for violating the lane restriction.

As mentioned Illinois has a law that requires drivers to stay right unless they're passing. How many drivers have been cited for the offense?

Illinois has posted the requirement of moving left when an officer or road crew are working in an attempt to save lives.

I guess truckers feel the state should spend 10's of thousands from the state's budget so truckers are aware of the law. How about it Unicorn, are your taxes too low? Would another 10 - 20 thousand spent by the state to thwart drivers from driving in the left lane help? How often do drivers ignore signs making the issue a moot point?

Drivers of CMV have commercial drivers licenses and call their self professionals. Start acting like it. Sheesh HUA, for $25 it's a cheap lesson.

Be safe.