User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Teamsters union in regard to OTR

Are any of the OTR companies union? I would like to konw the deal with the teamsters union in regard to OTR.

If companies use this union could someone please tell me how you get into the union and which companies are union.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Senior Board Member

I honestly do not know of any OTR companies that are unionized, only LTL type companies.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Board Regular
Default The unions ain't no dummies . .

. . they are invested across the board in big, non-union trucking companies, like Swift, who I believe, the Teamsters are suing, thanks to the ferocious nepotism which, they allege, has occurred there. They are also very involved with warehousing/distribution centers, etc.; our "other" workplaces . .

I think there is a strategy in place, here, but I haven't figured out how they will make their move to unionize we drivers. We're a fractured bunch and hard to reach but, with the various technologies available, they'll make a move. We are a big number and represent a lot of potential dues. And, after all, compared with the rest of society, our workplaces, hours and pay is abysmal. There are lots of us and we can't be out-sourced*, so don't be too surprised when you here the knock on the door. The Teamsters are currently in vigorous pursuit of the former Overnite, now UPS, drivers.

*Out-sourced, no. In-sourced, maybe. If the average American citizen does a collective about-face and chooses to keep the borders open and loosen up the workplace visa regs, then we can be in-sourced with yet cheaper replacements.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:07 AM
Senior Board Member

its a no brainer for the teamsters to get a few companies on board like swift werner and the like, they dont need all the drivers just most of them anyone working for those above mentioned carriers with half a brain would sign on with em. pay and benifits have been stagnate. the rest of us non union drivers r at an employment at will basis which means we may be terminated for no reason at any time.
if swift had any brains theyd allow it. it would actually be a good place to work their turnover rate would drop dramatically. an otr union outfit i might even sign up so would alot of others.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: The unions ain't no dummies . .

The Union ain't no dummies and they know Unions will never work in OTR operations. OK, say they organize Swift. Teamsters would raise driver standards at Swift in return Swift raising rates on it's customers to pay higher wages. So while all that's going on you have Werner standing by undercutting Swifts rates. Swift is left paying high wages and not moving any freight, there goes Swift in BK court while Werner picks up all the freight. The only way Teamsters could get involved with OTR drivers if they all joined and that will never happen. So it's a no-brainer why Teamster's don't go after OTR drivers, you could not get OTR drivers to agree its daylight at 12 noon.

The Union does work with LTL companys because they drive terminal to terminal or home everynight and turnover is low.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:38 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Question 24: Does the company provide a pension plan?
Answer: Yes! (And it's administered by the Teamsters Union).
CLOSE ENOUGH

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 11-17-2006, 12:57 AM
Senior Board Member

they will be successfull cuz of drivers like me. if the teamsters get into swift i would even consider jumping over to swift and alot more would too. swift drivers currently thinking about quiting at swift r waiting for the result of this case. their turnover rate will plumit. drivers r center of this business and if swift raises their rates so be it they have a distinct advantage they r the largest truckload carrier in this country with 17k tractors with a variety of divisions. their is plenty of other carriers with higher rates in business now. that being said, why would you think think or imply that a slightly higher rate would hamper their business model.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_o
they will be successfull cuz of drivers like me. if the teamsters get into swift i would even consider jumping over to swift and alot more would too. swift drivers currently thinking about quiting at swift r waiting for the result of this case. their turnover rate will plumit. drivers r center of this business and if swift raises their rates so be it they have a distinct advantage they r the largest truckload carrier in this country with 17k tractors with a variety of divisions. their is plenty of other carriers with higher rates in business now. that being said, why would you think think or imply that a slightly higher rate would hamper their business model.
I see your point on them attracting better drivers and keeping the better ones that they have. But for swift to pay Teamster wages, Teamster benefits their payroll would double. They would have to reorganize their entire business and charge alot more. Then what local would you vote in? I guess you could join the local were your nearest terminal is located but then how would you vote your stewards and despute gevances with all the drivers on the road all the time. It would be a very difficult plan to organize, and take alot time to get the smallest thing done.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:49 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Most teamster jobs are Line Haul or LTL
Old 11-17-2006, 02:54 AM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

well ben their pay would not double it only seems like it because swifts pay is so low thus the problem. the benefits are already pretty good for truckers but not as good as they schould be.the living conditions r sub par at best. the federal government has yet to step in and provide some basic standards and practices in regards to carriers for us company drivers.when i imply standards and practices i mean the simple things ie rest comfort not stranding a driver or trainee far from home things like that . yeah it seems like bit of a challenge one I'm sure the teamsters would rise too.