User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2014, 04:12 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default whats it worth?

i've had the bug for a while to build a glider. the other day something came up. someone is parting out a 03 379. all i want is the motor, ecm, trans and rears.

the motor is a 6nz c15

trans is a 18 speed

not sure what the rears are. motor looks real good very clean and cat filters. i need to call peterbilt on monday to see what rears and trans it has. with that said, what do you think its all worth? no clue if it runs but was told it ran real well. i'll most likely be doing a 387 pete so thats why i was thinking of taking the rears.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:27 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would check around with some salvage yards. I have a friend who blew his CAT engine a few years ago. The garage had a used engine that they wanted to sell him for $9,500.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Is that a good price? I don't bed know. Someone said they'd sell the whole truck for 7k. But I'll def check out the yards.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:39 PM
Board Regular

Is the engine a core value only or usable as is?

Engine core is $3000
Tranny core is $1500
Rear end cores are $300 each.

So I'd consider offering g the guy $5500 cash for the entire rig reasonable. Scrap what you don't need when done.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Senior Board Member

A glider is almost $100,000 alone, most glider builds come in at jus a little bit below new prices, which includes shop labor, if you build it yourself labor isnt as much an issue.

There is a yellow and white Pete with a red frame with THT on it, I'm sure you have seen it, with a Ravens smooth side......it is a rolling glider, it came with the rears, all they did was put the motor and trans in........it is arond $130,000 as it sits........this guy did it in his own shop, with an engine out of one of his own wrecks.

You can get a glider from Fitzgerald gliders. for $130,000 or so with a full 3 year warranty, my buddy Mike bought one....loves it, a 379 flatop with a Detroit, gets in the mid 6 mpg pulling a tank for Dana in Chicago

Fitzgerald Glider Kits
Old 07-04-2014, 02:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndriver View Post
Is the engine a core value only or usable as is?

Engine core is $3000
Tranny core is $1500
Rear end cores are $300 each.

So I'd consider offering g the guy $5500 cash for the entire rig reasonable. Scrap what you don't need when done.
thats kinda what i was thinking. i was told it ran real well. but its been sitting for 6 months. i was told the trans was fine as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
A glider is almost $100,000 alone, most glider builds come in at jus a little bit below new prices, which includes shop labor, if you build it yourself labor isnt as much an issue.

There is a yellow and white Pete with a red frame with THT on it, I'm sure you have seen it, with a Ravens smooth side......it is a rolling glider, it came with the rears, all they did was put the motor and trans in........it is arond $130,000 as it sits........this guy did it in his own shop, with an engine out of one of his own wrecks.

You can get a glider from Fitzgerald gliders. for $130,000 or so with a full 3 year warranty, my buddy Mike bought one....loves it, a 379 flatop with a Detroit, gets in the mid 6 mpg pulling a tank for Dana in Chicago

Fitzgerald Glider Kits
yeah i've been looking into them. my dad has a friend that has one on the island. i just really hate the idea of going to a detroit. not saying they're bad, just going to be hard going from my cat to a detroit.

i know the truck you are talking about, been seeing it all over. i also know the green wegal (however they spell it) is a glider. i was running with the guy a few weeks ago. there is a few out there.

the 3 places i'm looking at for the gliders are Fitzgerald, the place down on 77 (drawing a blank right now) and hunter. the freightliners are a lot cheaper but i just can't deal with another freightliner. the prices are getting a lot higher but i just don't want to deal with the new emissions.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Board Regular

most guys I talk to all say their cats are 5.5-6.2 mpg engines. Not many brag about fuel mileage.

And in todays competitive rates, any little bit helps.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:53 PM
Senior Board Member

i'm getting that with my cat (in that rage) going though hills at 80k. flat ground with a heavy load she'll get 6.25 light load 6.5. and thats at 70. 3.73's 10 speed low pro 22.5's doing 70. then again.. i'm very anal with the maintenance on my truck. every 250k its in cat to have the overhead done. every 15k (i know some say its a waste but.. i do it) oil changed, every 3rd oil change air filter done.

though.. do i just have a very good running motor and good luck? i'm not sure. i've heard people getting 6.5 with their detroits.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Board Regular

dude I was struggling to get 6.1 with my S60 up until last month.

CAC,Turbo boots, exh man, exh man gasket X2, overhead, 3 axle and 5 axle alignment later, I find my biggest culprit was in the end was a bad baro sensor.

Now I average 7.1-7.2
Old 07-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Board Regular

my computer is being stupid for some reason this morning. Keyboard starts to hang on me.

As much as I wanted to have a 6NZ, I knew that maintenance and mileage would be cheaper or better with the S60.

I am in 65-67 and could lope along at 70 if I want/need to.

But truth is proving running my Detroit is putting $12k or more into my pocket and not the stack. That's hard to ignore.

I'd work on gearing that 6NZ to run @ 1350-1400 at your cruise speed and slow down to 66-67. May not seem like much, but I've seen the numbers work in my favor. 66 seeming to be the best time for fuel trade-off.