User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Super singles: a passing fad?

I haven't seen many rigs lately with the super singles tire arrangement. Are many companies/truckers using them or can they be placed in the passing fad category?
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 05-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I haven't seen many lately, either. One pulled in beside me at a truck stop a few days ago. That is the first time that I have seen a truck with super singles in some time. I don't recall ever seeing many who ran them. I think some carriers tried them to see how well they run. I would be interested in knowing how many carriers are using them.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Are newer tanks have super singles, and the boss has his pete set up with them, can't tell the difference myself.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:28 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep View Post
Are newer tanks have super singles, and the boss has his pete set up with them, can't tell the difference myself.
Wait until one BLOWS.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:01 AM
Rookie

Weight-conscience carriers spec new equipment out with them in the northeast here pretty regularly. There's a lot of them in the bulk cement, and petroleum business here.

Propane carriers are doing more and more super singles. One of my compadre's just bought a brand new aerodynamic Pete with a set of them on it, and the leased tank he pulls has them also. I tried to pick his brain on why he'd go with them, and he couldn't really say exactly why other than saving 100 lbs. per wheel.

As for BLOWING one, it's always an issue I'd guess, but at 20 PLY it's highly unlikely.

All that rubber on the ground in one concentrated area to me would seem to create more friction, more heat...but what do I know.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Starting 2012 model van type trailers have to have aerodynamic side/tail fairings and the only tire now to meet the rolling resistance requirment is the SS.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
but at 20 PLY it's highly unlikely.

Seen lot of blown ones on Smith Transport trucks out on I-68, usually 2 on the same side at the same time.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:05 PM

I run them myself and if anything I've seen a lot more of them this year than the past two. I've seen them on TMC trucks (but not trailers), Old Dominion wiggle wagons, MVT out of New Mexico and some others.

When I started at Hill Bros last year my truck was one of just a few with them. Now I'd say there are four or five times as many and our tire shop now stocks them (not sure when that started, was over there the other day).

I used to drive for CFI that uses singles on all of its company trucks and most of the trailers. There was a posting at one point in a newsletter or forum discussing blowouts and the thing the company noticed was 64% fewer blowouts after they switched to the singles. If I recall correctly, one issue that seemed to disappear were tires blowing on heavily loaded rigs where the driver had to take a curb coming out of a tight parking lot -- a dual would often lose seal and blow out and the supers just take it in stride.

The way I look at it, between the weight savings and fuel economy improvement compared to duals, the singles are the only tire that more than pay for themselves. True, if you continually get unlucky running nails or whatnot over you could come out behind but on the trucks I've driven most of the tires have come off when they are run down, not after being popped.

Jim
Old 05-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Senior Board Member

i know chiquita uses them on most of there banana containers now. i can't tell the difference when i pull them. i just wonder how many roadservice tire companys stock them.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR OTR View Post
I run them myself and if anything I've seen a lot more of them this year than the past two. I've seen them on TMC trucks (but not trailers), Old Dominion wiggle wagons, MVT out of New Mexico and some others.

When I started at Hill Bros last year my truck was one of just a few with them. Now I'd say there are four or five times as many and our tire shop now stocks them (not sure when that started, was over there the other day).

I used to drive for CFI that uses singles on all of its company trucks and most of the trailers. There was a posting at one point in a newsletter or forum discussing blowouts and the thing the company noticed was 64% fewer blowouts after they switched to the singles. If I recall correctly, one issue that seemed to disappear were tires blowing on heavily loaded rigs where the driver had to take a curb coming out of a tight parking lot -- a dual would often lose seal and blow out and the supers just take it in stride.

The way I look at it, between the weight savings and fuel economy improvement compared to duals, the singles are the only tire that more than pay for themselves. True, if you continually get unlucky running nails or whatnot over you could come out behind but on the trucks I've driven most of the tires have come off when they are run down, not after being popped.

Jim
Good post, because it's posts like this that challenge me to keep an open mind. Otherwise, I'm inclined to think you're better of Isolating problems 8 ways instead of 4. Actually, it seems obvious to me, but then I hear people are very happy with them and then I can't say for sure.