LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep dixie blue View Post
How fast do you run to get those mpg's? Thx

Im guessing he was above 65... we run hard and fast and still hang at 7mpg with our glider. still rolling in and out of CA every week no problem. lots of misconceptions on gliders here!! I also got GE financing with the same 5% down. got a 300k warranty and all.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1192[/ATTACH]

those are armor plated heavy hummers..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 525688_4293754954073_58291507_n.jpg (79.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-26-2012, 03:32 AM

I know a few people that have gliders. There is a company in crossville tn called fitzgeraldgliderkits that has a lot of them. The mainly carry coronados. Coronados are good trucks we have one thats fixing to crack a million miles and still going strong. It gets decent fuel milage and rides good too. All of them that they own and the one we have run teams. The contractors I know have them get their financing the same place we do and that's Wells Fargo. We are all getting 5.5% which is a great rate right now.

On the reliability out of the 20 trucks I know of that these people have only one of them has had an issue with the truck. It hasn't been major issues but smaller things like gaskets.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep dixie blue View Post
How fast do you run to get those mpg's? Thx
I run between 62 and 65 most of the time. Occasionally I will press it on up to 70-75. Not sure what the truck will do maxed out. Most I ever had the truck up to was 85. The only governor is the rpm limit on the engine and that is at 2100 rpm. With the 18 speed double over tied to 2.64 rears, the top end is well into triple digit territory.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:29 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
I run between 62 and 65 most of the time. Occasionally I will press it on up to 70-75. Not sure what the truck will do maxed out. Most I ever had the truck up to was 85. The only governor is the rpm limit on the engine and that is at 2100 rpm. With the 18 speed double over tied to 2.64 rears, the top end is well into triple digit territory.
What gear are you running in at 62? I think I would be disappointed with 7.5 at 62, are you lugging that Detroit?. spoke with a driver this weekend that his truck Detroit/10/3.46 and he was governed to 62 and also was getting 7.5 at best most time he was 6.5. come to find out in top gear at 62 he was like 1250 rpm, he was lugging all the rolling hills. you got to have that thing in the 1400 range for mileage. Its not only about rpm, but boost and egt. higher rpm with less boost means less egt will always get better mpg!!. I say this all the time run that series 60 hard and it will get better mileage.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigJls1 View Post
What gear are you running in at 62? I think I would be disappointed with 7.5 at 62, are you lugging that Detroit?. spoke with a driver this weekend that his truck Detroit/10/3.46 and he was governed to 62 and also was getting 7.5 at best most time he was 6.5. come to find out in top gear at 62 he was like 1250 rpm, he was lugging all the rolling hills. you got to have that thing in the 1400 range for mileage. Its not only about rpm, but boost and egt. higher rpm with less boost means less egt will always get better mpg!!. I say this all the time run that series 60 hard and it will get better mileage.
i was always told the same thing. i know the last detroit i had was in a single axle day cab. 14L 515hp. didnt pull much weight granted. BUT when i first got her she was limited at 74. all day long no matter waht she'd get 7-7.5mpg. turned it down to 64-ish the milage did not change at all. granted the EGR motor is a total diffrent beast then the pre egr i was always told detroits liked a bit more rpm's.

however, in the real world of driving.. i'd be very happy with 7.5mpg. he also said that he runs 62-65 sometimes 70. thats real driving. then again i'm estatic when i get 6.5 out of my cat..
Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
At 62 in 16th I am at 1400. At 1500, I am running 66 in 16th. That is primarily the range I run with this. I wouldn't grab the next gear till I hit above 70. EGT's stay in the 600-700F range on normal running. Rarely get above 800F even on hard pulls. They have never touched 900F even when I got down to 1250 on a lug down. In this cold stuff, my mpg's have dropped a little. High 6's pulling heavy. When warm weather gets back, then should get those high 7's to low 8's I got late last summer. I run quite a few hilly, two lanes that most folks do not. They have some interesting grades with 20-25 mph corners at the bottom. I have gotten an itch a few times and ran in the 70-75 mph range. Took a little hit on mpg, but still got high 6's. Fun thing is when someone tries to play "speed up" games with you when you go to pass. One guy tried it one day, till we got above 75 and then I shifted into 17th. He gave it up at that point. Unlike the driver you spoke with, this truck has never been in the top gear since the day I bought it.

Last edited by Copperhead; 01-04-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Fun thing is when someone tries to play "speed up" games with you when you go to pass. One guy tried it one day, till we got above 75 and then I shifted into 17th. He gave it up at that point

I thought that only happened to me, an east coast thing.......
Old 01-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
At 62 in 16th I am at 1400. At 1500, I am running 66 in 16th. That is primarily the range I run with this. I wouldn't grab the next gear till I hit above 70. EGT's stay in the 600-700F range on normal running. Rarely get above 800F even on hard pulls. They have never touched 900F even when I got down to 1250 on a lug down. In this cold stuff, my mpg's have dropped a little. High 6's pulling heavy. When warm weather gets back, then should get those high 7's to low 8's I got late last summer. I run quite a few hilly, two lanes that most folks do not. They have some interesting grades with 20-25 mph corners at the bottom. I have gotten an itch a few times and ran in the 70-75 mph range. Took a little hit on mpg, but still got high 6's. Fun thing is when someone tries to play "speed up" games with you when you go to pass. One guy tried it one day, till we got above 75 and then I shifted into 17th. He gave it up at that point. Unlike the driver you spoke with, this truck has never been in the top gear since the day I bought it.
Well id say your driving perfect...I forgot that we also drop at least a 1/2 mpg in winter. Also winter freight in general is less pay and more weight, alot more 45k loads. so we drop into mid to even low 6's still running as fast as legal. One thing I also forgot was we Ditched that HUGE muffler with a ton of bends and elbows in favor of a pair of these. [ATTACH=CONFIG]1196[/ATTACH]
This DID NOT effect warranty and in fact the sales man at Fitzgerald actually recommended pulling that huge muffler to gain mpg, the Jake is alot louder but it was worth at least a .5 mpg all day. plus saved at least 50 to 100 pounds!

also Ive just hit almost 90k miles on mine and I think at kept gaining a little mpg till 60 or 70k miles, Its true these diesels up to 100k miles to Break in. so you should REALLY some mpg gain this summer... I think you could hit low 8's!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (9).jpg (87.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
drop at least a 1/2 mpg in winter.
Winter blend fuel, higher air density, longer time to get to operating temperature...just a few that come in mind.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Well id say your driving perfect...I forgot that we also drop at least a 1/2 mpg in winter. Also winter freight in general is less pay and more weight, alot more 45k loads. so we drop into mid to even low 6's still running as fast as legal. One thing I also forgot was we Ditched that HUGE muffler with a ton of bends and elbows in favor of a pair of these. [ATTACH=CONFIG]1196[/ATTACH]
This DID NOT effect warranty and in fact the sales man at Fitzgerald actually recommended pulling that huge muffler to gain mpg, the Jake is alot louder but it was worth at least a .5 mpg all day. plus saved at least 50 to 100 pounds!

also Ive just hit almost 90k miles on mine and I think at kept gaining a little mpg till 60 or 70k miles, Its true these diesels up to 100k miles to Break in. so you should REALLY some mpg gain this summer... I think you could hit low 8's!!
I got the truck last August and had already hit low 8's early on. Until cold weather set in and the winter fuel stuff, I was consistently in the high 7 / low 8 average territory. And that was with less than 50,000 miles on the engine. When it warms up again, then should be able to hit 8 consistently. I never had the muffler under the body with side stacks. My stacks with mufflers run up the back of the sleeper. I took off the OEM mufflers before the truck went to work and replaced them with Walker Megaflows. Just me, but I HATE side stacks.