User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDaddy View Post
You guys know there's difference when your tarp is covering a load and is attached with 50 bungees or rolled up and secured with 2 bungees. Y'all are being obtuse! A rolled up tarp will become a road hazard if it comes loose. A tarp covering a load ain't going anywhere if a few bungees break.
Sorry, but the DOT are the ones being obtuse. In their eyes, no number of bungees is acceptable. A milk crate on the catwalk secured with 100 brand new bungees is still a violation.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Once again, this goes back to consistent enforcement across all states and applicable to all kinds of trucks. I don’t mind whatever rules they want to implement as long as they write every truck (whether reefer, van, open deck or any other configuration) a ticket for non-compliance. As long as we’re on an even playing field, I don’t mind playing the game. I’ve seen some extremely dangerous things on trucks, including large items sitting completely unsecured on catwalks and even dunage and spare tires laying unsecured on a flatbed. I wouldn’t mind using straps instead of bungees to secure a tarp to my headache rack, but there is nothing in the regs or load securement handbook listing anything smaller than 1 ¾” straps as a securement device and the smallest commonly available size of 2” seems a bit like overkill for the job. This would be a great opportunity for some enterprising manufacturer to make 1/2” wide and 4’ to 6’ long straps with a stamped WLL so they would be considered a proper load securement device by the DOT. I’m thinking about buying some small straps and getting a stamping set and marking them with a WLL myself. Problem solved.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:04 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
Sorry, but the DOT are the ones being obtuse. In their eyes, no number of bungees is acceptable. A milk crate on the catwalk secured with 100 brand new bungees is still a violation.
I thought I wrote "tarp" and not "milk crate". My bad!
Old 12-31-2011, 04:10 AM
Board Regular

The regs have a whole list of rope sizes and WLLs. What the heck is rope legally used to secure beside (unrolled) tarps?

Why isn't my 1" straps with 400 lb. WLL legal for dunnage? I figure if it has the WLL marking it is legal right?
Old 12-31-2011, 06:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
The regs have a whole list of rope sizes and WLLs. What the heck is rope legally used to secure beside (unrolled) tarps?

Why isn't my 1" straps with 400 lb. WLL legal for dunnage? I figure if it has the WLL marking it is legal right?
The regs would seem to indicate that anything with a stamped WLL is a legal load securement device. I’ve looked on-line and can’t seem to find any one inchers with a WLL stamped on them. I think I’d stick with my standard 4” straps for securing dunage. The sliding winches are more convenient, at least for me than using a ratchet strap, but I’d have no problem using them for my tarps.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:00 AM
Senior Board Member

[ATTACH=CONFIG]995[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]994[/ATTACH]this could amuse you blokes ,in N.Z logs or timber is only allowed to be restrained by chains each chain to be more than maximin of half the wieght of the load,in the case of logs if they are not more than 1foot in your measurement over the staunchen you must have a belly strop also chain ,look at this.hope it worked other 1 is our railways log cartage ,over roads across roads and alongside roads,and 1 load binder only 2.5 ton rated. police paid by same goverment that owns railways.lol try another railway pic[ATTACH=CONFIG]996[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUNP0004.jpg (82.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg SUNP0013.jpg (90.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg SUNP0021.jpg (90.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Here's an article from late 2010 saying that in Canada at least,

"Bungee cords and tarp straps are not suitable for use as tiedowns, and are equally unsuited to having an assigned Working Load Limit (WLL). There is no intention to prohibit the use of these devices as supplementary restraint for light weight cargo and equipment," CCMTA added in its guidance."

No bungee jumping cargo securement rules - Today's Trucking, the truck news site.

I love how they won’t come out and just say what they mean. Does that article mean they can or cannot be used to strap tarps to a headache rack?
From what I read, and the way I understand it, I would use a couple of 2-inch straps to secure the tarps to the headache rack. Probably use a couple of old ones that are frayed in the middle and shorten them just for the tarps. Might take a few minutes longer to secure them, but less chance of spending more time behind a weigh station. I've had tarps that covered an entire oversized load, and they weigh in at several hundred pounds. Takes two good men to lift them. Sure did not want to be putting them back myself.

Last edited by Windwalker; 12-31-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
I thought I wrote "tarp" and not "milk crate". My bad!
Not the point. Rolled up tarp or milk crate or a bag of salt is all the same diff. It's all "cargo" and it doesn't matter how little it weighs or many bungees you put on it.