User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 11-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Musicman's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Way Way Way Down South in IL
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmon View Post
Check with Tracer. He's put his deflector on and off a few times to get the max MPG. Even cut the height of his exhaust stacks.
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm....... no.
__________________
"The Breakfast of Champions isn't cereal, it's the competition!" - "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-09-2011, 05:55 PM
YerDaddy's Avatar
Board Regular
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: @ my keyboard
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
So your assessment about the truck not being designed for open deck trailers is based simply on aerodynamics? I would think that my tall 387 pushes less air than a lower W900 or 379. My second assumption, and it is only an assumption, that pulling an open deck trailer with all loads other than say lumber or bricks or maybe coils will result in low fuel economy. How does the height of the power unit have anything to do with all that wind that will be building resistance on all that odd shaped machinery and equipment Ill be pulling? The tractor only protects the first three feet of space behind it from the adverse effects of wind resistance. The lower deck of a step, where the bulk of the load is carried is eleven feet behind the upper deck. I would think that fact alone would mean that tractor configuration has little or no effect on fuel economy. I will know for sure in a couple weeks though.

If I were to replace my current tractor, and if I were still happily pulling an open platform trailer, I would probably buy a mid-rise for the simple fact that low clearances (depending on load height of course) would be less important than they are with my 13 4 high power unit.
That's my logic. The sleeper is so far ahead of the load you are pushing air twice or more than twice depending on pieces of tall freight. Once with the truck and then with the freight.

You compare a low load of say... steel bars. A flat top Pete will push less air than a condo with the same load.

And when you have tarped loads you might not want to run the speed limit. The slower you run the less destruction to tarps even though you should tarp to prevent any flapping. If you run between 50 and 65 like me (avg 60) cab aerodynamics isn't as much of a factor as at 70-75 mph but still that 3'X8' extra clearance upstairs is a lot. A piece of plywood is 4'X8'. Hold up a piece of plywood on a windy day and see.

Nice looking trailer. Just paid off my not brand new anymore Fontaine Renegade flat.
__________________
The reason I'm a narcissist is cause everyone else is so lame.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Musicman's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Way Way Way Down South in IL
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDaddy View Post
That's my logic. The sleeper is so far ahead of the load you are pushing air twice or more than twice depending on pieces of tall freight. Once with the truck and then with the freight. You compare a low load of say... steel bars. A flat top Pete will push less air than a condo with the same load.
Yes, but my tall aero truck doesn’t push much more or less air than a low long-hood with its flat nose, twin cans and side mounted pipes. Actually it probably pushes less, since they call it an “aero” truck for a reason, right? With either your hypothetical low-rise long-hood or my 387 high-rise, the amount of wind resistance generated on the freight is the same. If we were talking about a flatbed you might be able to get me on-board with your assertion (with certain loads); but with a stepdeck, the very design of the trailer would seem to render much of your argument moot. The only kind of load that your argument might be valid with is a full load of lumber or other similarly shaped items than is on the upper as well as lower deck. If the load is on the lower deck only, the fact that it is eleven feet behind the front of the trailer means that the wind current flowing onto the load would be nearly identical no matter what the configuration of the power unit in front. With the average stepdeck load (especially LTL) which is irregularly shaped equipment, machinery or vehicles, etc., I would think it doesn’t matter what the power unit looks like, fuel economy will suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDaddy View Post
And when you have tarped loads you might not want to run the speed limit. The slower you run the less destruction to tarps even though you should tarp to prevent any flapping. If you run between 50 and 65 like me (avg 60) cab aerodynamics isn't as much of a factor as at 70-75 mph but still that 3'X8' extra clearance upstairs is a lot. A piece of plywood is 4'X8'. Hold up a piece of plywood on a windy day and see.
I set my cruise between 61 and 63 mph… always. I do this not only to increase my fuel economy and decrease wear on tires and other components, but I’ve found it makes my day a lot less stressful not having to interact with most of the other traffic on the highway. I just stay in the right lane and listen to my ipod or satellite radio.


The plywood analogy is a poor one because when you say to try to hold it up in the wind, I am pretty sure you have in mind me trying to hold it up at a ninety degree angle to the wind and that is not what happens with wind currents flowing over an aerodynamic shape like that of my 387. Because the truck is designed from front to rear with rounded edges and gentle slopes, the difference in wind resistance between a 387 and a 379 or W900 is much less than the amount of wind resistance exerted on a 4x8 piece of plywood being held up perpendicular to a 70mph wind. A better experiment would be to get a friend to drive you in the bed of a pick-up truck down the highway at 70mph. First hold up a 2’x4’ piece of plywood (representing a 379 or W900) perpendicular to the ground. Once you get out of the hospital, repeat the same experiment, only this time holding up a 4’x4’ piece of plywood at a 30 degree angle to the ground (representing my 387). I think you might actually be able to stay in the bed of the truck and out of the hospital holding up the plywood that more closely resembles the design of the 387.


Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDaddy View Post
Nice looking trailer. Just paid off my not brand new anymore Fontaine Renegade flat.
Now here’s something we can agree on for sure. Both the Fontaine and Reitnouer are nice looking pieces of equipment. While I am financing mine, I hope to be able to pay it off in the same eight month’s time we did the reefer trailer we just sold. NOTHING looks as good as a paid for piece of equipment on the road.
__________________
"The Breakfast of Champions isn't cereal, it's the competition!" - "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
......get a friend to drive you in the bed of a pick-up truck down the highway at 70mph. First hold up a 2x4 piece of plywood (representing a 379 or W900) perpendicular to the ground. Once you get out of the hospital, repeat the same experiment, only this time holding up a 4x4 piece of plywood at a 30 degree angle to the ground (representing my 387)....
will you guys be selling tickets to this show?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-10-2011, 12:42 AM
Musicman's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Way Way Way Down South in IL
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
will you guys be selling tickets to this show?
Now THAT is a great idea. I'll be the guy behind the camera.
__________________
"The Breakfast of Champions isn't cereal, it's the competition!" - "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: North East
Posts: 1,201
Default

TMC uses some 387's and everyone knows they are top dog.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-10-2011, 06:58 PM
YerDaddy's Avatar
Board Regular
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: @ my keyboard
Posts: 226
Default

Well let me just ask, if you were looking for a tractor to pull an open platform trailer, would you be looking for a full double decker sleeper or a flat top/mid roof type? Remember that bit of extra fiberglass on the sleeper adds weight.

Side note: just checked my mail box and got my trailer title back from Navistar Financial!!! I have an extra $500/mo play money now.
__________________
The reason I'm a narcissist is cause everyone else is so lame.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Board Regular
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 414
Default

I think we ought to start a pool betting how many loads Musicman hauls on his new trailer before a forklift driver dings it.

Musicman, don't turn your back to the forklift or he will ding your new trailer.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 11-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Musicman's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Way Way Way Down South in IL
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDaddy View Post
Well let me just ask, if you were looking for a tractor to pull an open platform trailer, would you be looking for a full double decker sleeper or a flat top/mid roof type? Remember that bit of extra fiberglass on the sleeper adds weight.

Side note: just checked my mail box and got my trailer title back from Navistar Financial!!! I have an extra $500/mo play money now.
The weight issue Ill concede. If I were specing a truck to pull a step or flat, Id not start out targeting a high-rise 387. However, I already own the 387 and Im not planning on getting rid of it anytime soon, so Ill have to make the best of the situation.


Well, I just refinanced my mortgage and THAT will put nearly $400 a month in my pocket, so there! Oh, oh, oh. and I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
__________________
"The Breakfast of Champions isn't cereal, it's the competition!" - "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 11-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Musicman's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Way Way Way Down South in IL
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Duty View Post
I think we ought to start a pool betting how many loads Musicman hauls on his new trailer before a forklift driver dings it.

Musicman, don't turn your back to the forklift or he will ding your new trailer.
Not even funny. I used to refuse to allow anybody to load or unload my reefer trailer without my either being there on the dock or without the shipper or receiver signing something stating that the trailer was in pristine condition before they entered it. There were some shippers that I almost had to leave because they tried refusing to allow me on the dock. My brand new all aluminum step? They'd better not even look at it cross-ways or else....
__________________
"The Breakfast of Champions isn't cereal, it's the competition!" - "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."

Last edited by Musicman; 11-11-2011 at 03:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:39 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.