LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I have never owned a truck that has held up like my International. I have a couple of friends who still think that the Pete 379 is the way to go. My International will get better fuel mileage than either of them and has more room in the sleeper. I think that International is way under rated. I have owned Pete and Kw among other brands. I still like the International. It will make as much money as anything on the road. I much prefer the layout of the sleeper to Peterbilt or KW. And my 9400 is well insulated. Until I bought my International I preferred a Pete. When I look for another truck I prefer an International, but mostly look at features. I want a truck that is in good shape, gets decent fuel mileage and is a good deal. I look at the sleeper and driver comfort as well as over all value.
What kind of engine and transmission do you have in your 9400 Gman?
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graintrain View Post
I sure like my 9900 and have had comments from 2 other grain haulers over the last 2 weeks that they liked the looks of my IH and thought the interior was alot roomier than their rigs(90's Pete and a fairly new WS). I now agree with Tracer on the crappy plastic dash. I went to push in the brake knob today at the feed mill, and the plastic that holds the entire valve in place behind the dash panel gave out. issedoff::tears:issedoff:
When I got my truck back in 2007, I noticed a strange screw near the brake knobs. It was screwed in at the right angle from the right-hand panel, sort of coming towards the driver. Turns out this screw was holding the panel from buckling in when you push the brakes! Also, there's 2 panels near the windshiled that keep cracking at the screw holes. I went to a dealer and he told me they had revamped the design and I replaced one of those panels with the new design one. It was about a hundred dollars a piece ... Now, the other one that I din't replace at the time is all cracked up.

The dashboard on my 9400 is the same they use on 9900. The only model that had/has a different dashboard is the new Prostar. If I was getting another International, that's the one I'd get. It is much much much better designed and assembled.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Flyer View Post
What kind of engine and transmission do you have in your 9400 Gman?
I have a 3406E CAT engine and a 10 speed Spicer transmission.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I have a 3406E CAT engine and a 10 speed Spicer transmission.
Don't hear very much about Spicer transmissions anymore, just Eaton-Fuller. I was under the impression that Eaton-Fuller bought out Spicer, guess I was wrong. Wish CAT still made big truck engines.
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:19 AM
Senior Board Member

I drove a couple of Internationals in Alaska the 10 years I was up there. They held up extremely well running the interior of the state. I go sold on them. I really like my '06 9400i. Got an ISX with a 13 spd in it. Whether I stay with International in the future is up for grabs. Will watch how the ProStar and other stuff they are offering now holds up over time.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
IH is a great truck. Ifr i couldnt buy me a MACK an 9900ix would be my 2nd choice. Petes and KW are way overrated. My mack will eat them up and sh*t them out.
The company I am leased to uses nothing but Macks, my KW just keeps going while they are in the shop..
Old 01-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Flyer View Post
Don't hear very much about Spicer transmissions anymore, just Eaton-Fuller. I was under the impression that Eaton-Fuller bought out Spicer, guess I was wrong. Wish CAT still made big truck engines.
I don't know if Spicer was bought out or not, but that is what came in the truck from the factory. I replaced the transmission about 2 years ago and they put the same type back in as far as I know. I do miss CAT engines. The new Navistar engine is supposed to be made by CAT. I think that Navistar makes the fuel system. I don't expect to buy one of the newer trucks so it probably won't affect me. These truck manufacturers are all coming out with their own engines. I would not want to try one until they prove themselves. By then I will likely be retired.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I don't know if Spicer was bought out or not, but that is what came in the truck from the factory. I replaced the transmission about 2 years ago and they put the same type back in as far as I know. I do miss CAT engines. The new Navistar engine is supposed to be made by CAT. I think that Navistar makes the fuel system. I don't expect to buy one of the newer trucks so it probably won't affect me. These truck manufacturers are all coming out with their own engines. I would not want to try one until they prove themselves. By then I will likely be retired.
I have a guy who I run with and he just bought a brand new Pete 389 with the Paccar motor in it. It runs very smooth, and even with the DEF he is getting around 7.2mpg pulling a 38,000lb tank. He has the Ultra-Shift Plus is it and he loves it, tho all he did was bitch about it the first few trips. Now you can't get him out of it. He says with the DEF you dont really notice when the truck recycles cuz it's like gas on a fire and just burns it right out....... I'm gonna wait till he has at least 250k on the motor before I even think about making a new purchase.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Gman old salts like you are VERY valuable to the trucking industry as don't even THINK about retiring lol! Somebody has to teach these kids and rookies who think they're God's gift to trucking the proper way to get the job done!
"Talk to me Goose".
Old 01-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Senior Board Member

I bought my 9400 simply because it was in the best physical shape amongst the hundreds of used trucks that I crawled into and over. The interior space was the final sell point. I have a C-15 with a 13 spd and .355's.