User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 03:15 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How are you guys handling health insurance?

Health, dental, and all that?

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Senior Board Member

I don't have any and haven't for 7yrs now. I am single w/no kids tho so it's a lot easier. I only went to the doc once last year and not at all the few years prior. I do however have asthma and my 1 script costs me $225 every two months, but everywhere I spoke with was about $250 a month, half didnt cover existing conditions too. I'm better off just paying as i go. As for major medical or injury I have OC/AC and that covers mainly anything I will need besides illness.

Just FYI, State Farm has really good rates and good coverage. It just wasn't cost effective for me, but if you got kids, I'd say check it out. Other than that, getting a company job might be your best bet.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Senior Board Member

My wifes insurance covers me.

You can look here at rates..

National Association for the Self-Employed
Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Senior Board Member

i went to ibx4you.com. It is BC/BS. I have keystone health plan east. It was 120/month for the 1st 6months now it went up to 131.88. It is a great plan for the price. But maybe cuz I'm only 26 thats why it is cheap. Anyone not having any type of insurance is crazy i think.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 11-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
i went to ibx4you.com. It is BC/BS. I have keystone health plan east. It was 120/month for the 1st 6months now it went up to 131.88. It is a great plan for the price. But maybe cuz I'm only 26 thats why it is cheap. Anyone not having any type of insurance is crazy i think.
Like I said, I don't have insurance so if I get ill with a bad case of the flu or whatever I'm screwed, but if I get hurt or injured my OCC/ACC covers it....... cost wise, I'd be spending $100 a month for noting since most don't cover what a regular major medical would. I looked at the plan you got, which seems good, but a companies Blue Corss program blows it out of the water.
You plan also is MUCH cheaper than what BC/BS offers here in Indiana and Illinois. Location has a lot to do with pricing as well since all the BC/BS are independantly owned.

I called BC/BS and they wanted $475 a month to cover me under the same crap my buddies at the Mill and UPS get for $35 a week. CRAZY!!!

Maybe I can just find one of them nurses everyone talks about and get married..... you know, the one's who wear the high black boots, red stockings and are classified "naughty" LOL

Last edited by Steel Horse Cowboy; 11-11-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Anyone not having any type of insurance is crazy i think.

You think correctly , I had open heart surgery in 2001, all together it was $500,000, then I had to have it done over in 2006, same price with inflation added, didn't cost me a dime insurance paid every penny.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
You think correctly , I had open heart surgery in 2001, all together it was $500,000, then I had to have it done over in 2006, same price with inflation added, didn't cost me a dime insurance paid every penny.
Over a million all together ? Sounds like it cost me some money ! At least it went for something good
Old 11-12-2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
I called BC/BS and they wanted $475 a month to cover me under the same crap my buddies at the Mill and UPS get for $35 a week. CRAZY!!!
The cost to "The Mill" and UPS would be somewhere close to the same $475 as BC/BS charges. The difference is that The Mill and UPS is paying the difference for the employee. When one is their own boss they usually have to cover the entire cost themselves. When i got off the road last November I went back into insurance (Life/Health/Disability/etc.) I'm only licensed in FL but the rates aren't THAT different state to state. BC/BS however is very different as they are actually different companies based on the region they're in. Most people down in FL don't care too much for BC/BS but up in your neck of the woods they're one of the better bets for insurance. (As I understand it) I don't write for BC/BS because as I said, they're not the greatest here in FL and they probably have the worst record for keeping rates stable - and supposidly they're a non-profit organization.

Here's one examples - again, this assumes a FL resident. This is from United Healthcare/Golden Rule.

This quote assumes: Male, 40 years old, non smoker.

The plan I'm quoting offers:
$1500 Deductible
$3000 Out of Pocket anual maximum after deductible.
80%/20% (20% of hospital stays and major testing would be your responisibilty up to the $3000 max)
$35 Dr's visits
Tier 1 drugs (generics) $15 copay -
Tier 2 $35 copay
Tier 3 $65 copay (Tier 2-5 requires an annual $200 deductible)

Then there's a whole list of things that are covered, aren't covered, and at what amounts.

This plan would cost $189.03/month $245.94 for a smoker and these prices assume the person has been covered under another plan within the last 60 days. It would be more expensive (not a lot) if there was no previous health coverage.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Luzon; 11-12-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Senior Board Member

bare minimum, thats all I can say, if it were just me I'd probably pay as I go like some of the others.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Senior Board Member

I have my own as an o/o. $120/mo as a 28 yo single smoker. Decent coverage, max dedcutible is 4000 out of pocket for 2 million max coverage. Good prescription coverage, network, etc. Got it through Blue Croos/Shield. Carrier wants 200 more a montn for siliar coverage, so i went on my own. Went to an online site for plans and comparisons. Then dealt with Blue Cross direct. Everypnes situation is different.

Skipped the dental. I try to do 6 month cleaning and checkups for about 75 a pop. I don't think dental is worth it. Even my wisdom teeth with outpatient surgery was 1300. Keep up on the teeth!

No life insurance yet. I don't wanna die yet. Neither sidew would take me lol.