User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin View Post
No life insurance yet. I don't wanna die yet. Neither sidew would take me lol.
I hear that. Most young people don't want to even think about life insurance - hell, no one does really. Here's something to consider though. When one buys life insurance at a young age, they're accomplishing a couple things.

1. They're insuring their insurability. If, at age 28 for example you bought a $250k 30 year term policy the price for a smoker would be $59/month. Now, you've got that in place and then somewhere down the road if something happened health wise, you could always convert that to a permanent policy without having to reapply and without showing any medical documentation. The new permanent policy would be priced based only on your age at the time of conversion.

2. You would lock in rates as a 28 year old. Once you've got a policy the rates never change.

If you know you will NEVER get married and NEVER have kids, then you probably don't need any life insurance. If, on the other hand, you decide to get married in say, 10 years, and then get life insurance then that same policy as a smoker would cost $99/month.

That's my 2 cents, and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by Luzon; 11-15-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:16 AM
Senior Board Member

I have Blue Cross / Blue Shield, $5 million policy tied to a Health Savings Account. $356 a month. Premiums and H.S.A. contributions tax deductable. Me and wife both in our 50's, I smoke, She takes thyroid medication. What doesn't get used in the H.S.A. in the year, rolls over and gains interest. We contribute max allowable to H.S.A and just let the money grow much like a I.R.A or 401K. Can use it for all out of pocket medical expenses with no taxation, and at age 65, we can use the money for whatever we want and make withdrawals from it like a 401K plan with only normal income tax on withdrawal money not used for medical. Best of both worlds.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:27 AM

I have health insurance for 309 a month and I can`t remember who it is with,do they cover memory loss?
Old 11-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I checked some plans online. I was amazed at how much difference there was in premiums. For the most part, health insurance is very expensive, especially when you get a little older. For the most part the older we are the greater the likelihood that we will be ill.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzon View Post
This quote assumes: Male, 40 years old, non smoker.

The plan I'm quoting offers:
$1500 Deductible.
That right there is more than I spend in 1 year on my meds and doctor visits...... hence why I pay as I go. But like I said, if I get something major I'm screwed....... but I will just file disability and hope Obama see's me fit to sit on my butt for the rest of my life. Luckily I am still 1/5th Cherokee so maybe they would take pity on me, I know Purdue did when I went to college LOL
Old 02-05-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
I have Blue Cross / Blue Shield, $5 million policy tied to a Health Savings Account. $356 a month. Premiums and H.S.A. contributions tax deductable. Me and wife both in our 50's, I smoke, She takes thyroid medication. What doesn't get used in the H.S.A. in the year, rolls over and gains interest. We contribute max allowable to H.S.A and just let the money grow much like a I.R.A or 401K. Can use it for all out of pocket medical expenses with no taxation, and at age 65, we can use the money for whatever we want and make withdrawals from it like a 401K plan with only normal income tax on withdrawal money not used for medical. Best of both worlds.

THIS is something I'm interested in and want to learn more about. Does anyone else use HSA's? Basically a low cost hi-deductible insurance plan for any major stuff and a tax-free savings account for the regular stuff. I'm having a hard time seeing a downside to this. Who else uses it?

I've never paid much attention health insurance in the past. I found it confusing, and just paid for whatever my employer offered. But now as I'm transitioning to an O/O, I gotta learn more.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is my understanding that the new health insurance bill eliminated the health savings accounts. Who knows what will happen when the dust settles. The bill was ruled unconstitutional by 2 state supreme courts, yet Obama is moving full throttle ahead as if nothing has changed.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
That right there is more than I spend in 1 year on my meds and doctor visits...... hence why I pay as I go. But like I said, if I get something major I'm screwed....... but I will just file disability and hope Obama see's me fit to sit on my butt for the rest of my life. Luckily I am still 1/5th Cherokee so maybe they would take pity on me, I know Purdue did when I went to college LOL
Your not screwed, you still get treated and us taxpayers that are still working get to pay for your care.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
It is my understanding that the new health insurance bill eliminated the health savings accounts.
If that's the case I sure haven't seen it. Actually, from the articles I've read they're growing in popularity.

Quote:
Who knows what will happen when the dust settles. The bill was ruled unconstitutional by 2 state supreme courts, yet Obama is moving full throttle ahead as if nothing has changed.
The only aspect that has been deemed unconstitutional was the mandatory coverage. States can still opt out if they so choose, so I'm not sure how unconstitutional it really is. In any case, it's hardly a reason to scrap the entire bill. Had we gotten a public option we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
I'm not here to debate healthcare reform though, I'm just curious how the self-employed are handling their coverage....or lack thereof.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:07 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Even if there was a public option it would still have been ruled unconstitutional due to the mandatory participation. It would also create yet another huge government bureaucracy. There is a lot more in this bill than health care. Much of what is in the bill has nothing to do with health care. This is a health insurance bill, not a health care bill. But, there is much more to it than health insurance. You should read it sometime.