User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries View Post
Someone is either blowing a whole lotta smoke or you're talking about very specific lanes. A couple hundred miles bouncing around the NE might command those rates...though I doubt that's the norm.
you can get a good rate know matter where you go its all about who you know one thing iv'e learned is you have to have GOOD contacts in the industry over all not just knowing alot brokers.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have spoken to a lot of shippers. Most are not being asked $4/mile for most loads. There are too many who are willing to haul for $2/mile or less. You are right in that most of the large brokers know one another. There is a lot of double brokering going on. Some now call it "co-brokering." Schneider is one who works with other brokers to move freight. Schneider gets the freight and then gives those loads to other brokers. I am sure there are others who are doing the same thing. If the load is being double brokered then in all likelihood 40% of the rate has already been given up to brokers before the truck gets a dime. Ironically, I have been offered a higher rate from some loads that Schneider has "co-brokered" than I have been offered from dealing with Schneider directly on the same load. It is a strange relationship.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I have spoken to a lot of shippers. Most are not being asked $4/mile for most loads. There are too many who are willing to haul for $2/mile or less. You are right in that most of the large brokers know one another. There is a lot of double brokering going on. Some now call it "co-brokering." Schneider is one who works with other brokers to move freight. Schneider gets the freight and then gives those loads to other brokers. I am sure there are others who are doing the same thing. If the load is being double brokered then in all likelihood 40% of the rate has already been given up to brokers before the truck gets a dime. Ironically, I have been offered a higher rate from some loads that Schneider has "co-brokered" than I have been offered from dealing with Schneider directly on the same load. It is a strange relationship.
Gman I have alot respect for you really know stuff and if you talk directly to shippers you know this where the real money is being made but now days shippers just mail bid packages to major carriers or the brokers and wait to see who will move forIT the cheapest rate and I know you guys dont think brokers or major carriers get 4.00pm but they do and some get up to 6.00pm and I know this for FACT and your write gman double brokering is a BIG problem write now but the carriers who are doing pay the best rate because they got GOOD rate from the shipper and dont have to run their truck to make a profit off it.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Every time I see a new post from somebody on here about just getting their authority, I cringe. Why in the world anybody would decide to make a jump into independency when the business is at an all time low just baffles the hell out of me.
I'll explain it to you like this, Most drivers are looking to better their situation. So in turn running under Their own authority is the way to go. It's considered the highest form of trucking. Its suppose to pay the best and provide the most flexibility in their lifestyle. Some are looking for a return on their investment, While others are looking to get rich. But most people are looking to make a decent living with out the hassle from a Big brother carrier.

Its my opinion, which was stated here by someone that not all drivers have the same situation @ home. $.88 CPM might be good to one driver while $2.00pm is good to another driver. We can all agree that rates are low. I believe in setting a minimum wage. Every other industry has one except trucking. At times I see freight on boards for less than .$67cpm. Now this is mind boggling to me. Who in the heck can make a profit or break even like that.

I have pondered over getting my own authority @ times. Is it worth the hassle when shippers and receivers don't respect the drivers. They look down upon this industry as if it an inconvenience to them. I have access to several boards, my cousin runs his own authority and at times I will help him search for loads. It baffles me to see the prices that these brokers will post, knowing good and well that someone will bite on it just to get home. The Idea of taking a load that will just pay for fuel is mind boggling. (No offense to those drivers who do it). I'm in business to make a profit on each and every run, not settle for fuel money just to get out of an area. it this mindset that will keep the rates right were they are.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobytob View Post
I'll explain it to you like this, Most drivers are looking to better their situation. So in turn running under Their own authority is the way to go. It's considered the highest form of trucking. Its suppose to pay the best and provide the most flexibility in their lifestyle. Some are looking for a return on their investment, While others are looking to get rich. But most people are looking to make a decent living with out the hassle from a Big brother carrier.
Right, and the time to step up to a higher level of difficulty is when the economy is at its worst in recent history? My point is that when trying something new for the first time, EVERYBODY, including me, makes mistakes. When the economy is better and rates are higher, there is a much increased margin for error. If you are running for $1.20 a mile, you don't have much room to screw something up becuse it might bankrupt you. If you have been averaging $2 a mile, you should have money set aside for mistakes.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:52 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobytob View Post
Its my opinion, which was stated here by someone that not all drivers have the same situation @ home. $.88 CPM might be good to one driver while $2.00pm is good to another driver. We can all agree that rates are low. I believe in setting a minimum wage. Every other industry has one except trucking. At times I see freight on boards for less than .$67cpm. Now this is mind boggling to me. Who in the heck can make a profit or break even like that.

No matter what an individual's situation, business is business. Those who take these cheap loads apparently don't know anything about running a business. They don't understand the market and what is a fair rate. Perhaps they don't care the rate as long as they can keep moving.

I have pondered over getting my own authority @ times. Is it worth the hassle when shippers and receivers don't respect the drivers. They look down upon this industry as if it an inconvenience to them. I have access to several boards, my cousin runs his own authority and at times I will help him search for loads. It baffles me to see the prices that these brokers will post, knowing good and well that someone will bite on it just to get home. The Idea of taking a load that will just pay for fuel is mind boggling. (No offense to those drivers who do it). I'm in business to make a profit on each and every run, not settle for fuel money just to get out of an area. it this mindset that will keep the rates right were they are.
There are two ways to look at rates. Some feel that if they get a really good rate going into a bad area that they can afford to take a cheap load out and average the rate. For instance, if you get $3/mile going into an area and take a load for $1/mile coming out then your average would be about $2/mile. Others feel that just because you get $3/mile going in doesn't mean that you should not get a good rate coming out of the bad area. Some would rather deadhead out than take the cheap load. As an example, if you get $3/mile going in with a 700 mile run and then deadhead 350 miles to a better area your average rate will still be about $2/mile. With the second scenario it is more a matter of principle.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
There are two ways to look at rates. Some feel that if they get a really good rate going into a bad area that they can afford to take a cheap load out and average the rate. For instance, if you get $3/mile going into an area and take a load for $1/mile coming out then your average would be about $2/mile. Others feel that just because you get $3/mile going in doesn't mean that you should not get a good rate coming out of the bad area. Some would rather deadhead out than take the cheap load. As an example, if you get $3/mile going in with a 700 mile run and then deadhead 350 miles to a better area your average rate will still be about $2/mile. With the second scenario it is more a matter of principle.
I'll add this to you're post G. In the second scenario it's a heck of a lot less wear on the truck. I don't care what area I'm in I'm not putting 45000 lbs on the trailer for a buck a mile. Just deadhead out.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Not only saving the wear and tear but by deadheading you'll be "footloose and fancy free" to take a good load where ever you find it.....even on the way to where you hoped to get to with the dead head. You'd hate to have a $1/mile freight on and have to drive by a good load or... lose on the load by missing the p/u time due to having to unload that $1 freight.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am not going to put something on my truck for $1/mile, either. That is unless it is a partial. I prefer to deadhead out of an area rather than put something that will only pay for my fuel. I have had a couple of people who don't think that I know what I am doing in having that attitude. They feel that it is better to have something on the truck, even if it only covers fuel. I suppose that I am just too stubborn to haul something that others can make a profit on without me getting something out of the deal. I feel that noone makes money without the truck. Neither the shipper, broker or consignee can make money without the truck. Think about that for a minute. If the truck is such an integral part of industry then why should we clammer to take a load where everyone else is making money but the truck, yet without the truck everyone goes broke.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomon View Post
Not only saving the wear and tear but by deadheading you'll be "footloose and fancy free" to take a good load where ever you find it.....even on the way to where you hoped to get to with the dead head. You'd hate to have a $1/mile freight on and have to drive by a good load or... lose on the load by missing the p/u time due to having to unload that $1 freight.
good point.............. geez how much would that suck. :cry:

Welcome Back Geo! :thumbsup: