User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb I Really Like To Know

I just started driving for myself. Got my authority and tractor - trailer. My wife has been booking my loads. She does a great job. I wanted to know what a reasonable rate would be on a 12OO mile dry van, no touch, 1 pick 1 drop trip? Lets say for the purpose of this scenario, its soda pop.

I hear a lot of guys saying not to take cheap freight and that makes complete sense believe me!! However, it seems a little tough to get the good paying loads. We seem to be getting a lot of brokers who offer 1.25 per mile, and these brokers act like if you ask for anything higher than that your asking them for their right arm. I truly think that's an insult. We do get loads that pay about 1.90 a mile and that seems like a very reasonable rate. Please help here. Any advice on what to ask for?

Thank you AGAIN!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 PM

BL, I wouldn't haul anything for less than $1.75 and thats still cheap to me, but that would be my break even point. If I cant find that then Im staying put. Brokers are making a killing out here and the drivers are suffering. Brokers can afford to pay this rate, but most are pocketing the excess. What we need to do is figure out a way to confirm what the broker is getting paid for these loads. No way in hell the drivers should make less than the brokers.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Every load is a negotiation, BL. Rates vary from one region of the country to another. Van loads are typically on the lower end of the rates, but I have a friend who has been doing well on his rates this year. He has hauled quite a few for well over $2/mile. One advantage you have pulling a van is the accessibility of freight. You can usually find a load going somewhere. If you want better rates you may need to consider either staying out of certain areas or plan on deadheading out of a bad area to get to the better paying freight. There are some who think that rate averaging is the best way to go. For instance, they may get a load going into one area for $2.25 and take one coming out for $1.25. That would give you an average rate of about $1.70.

Some of the loadboards have a part of the service that will show you average rates coming out or going into certain areas. That would give you a base to check. Keep in mind that the rates are only for those who report to the service. It might provide some guidance for you. I would shoot for $2/mile and try to average around $1.70 for all miles.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Rookie

Hi Tobytob! Thank you for your reply. I agree with you 100%. I really can not believe how much the brokers pocket off the backs of hard working drivers. It seems as if they could care less. I wish that there was a load board that actually had requirements like: Shippers and brokers may not post loads for less than ____! I think its only fair to be up front with the pricing. Drivers are not out there for a vacation. Many drivers like myself have been in this business for many,many years. I have seen its ups and downs. I really don't know where these brokers get their nerve. And, its truly something a person can not understand until they run for themselves. . .

Thanks again.....
Old 10-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Rookie

Thank you GMan. As usual I find you make a great deal on sense. Thank you again.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Hey Gman~ I have billions of questions regarding O/O related stuff, not sure I wanna embarrass myself in front of whole forum LOL, it ok to Pm ya? Thnx.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTruckn View Post
She does a great job.
No offense, but how do you know that, if you have no idea, what it really should pay?
Old 10-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm in the same boat BL. I've been sitting all week looking for something decent. Since I started finding my own loads at the end of August I've been able to do well getting out of Baltimore, but my lucks run out. Things have slowed big time, manufacturing is down and it shows. I've been offered 1.25 to 1.35 a lot this week and they're not budging on the rate. Next thing you know it's off the board.

If I can't find something today I'm deadheading out Sunday or Monday and will have to stay out for a while I guess. I just can't make myself take a load that doesn't pay fair. It's not just brokers it's the shippers as well. Actually no that's wrong, it's the carriers that are taking the loads that are ultimately to blame. Brokers/Shippers are just taking advantage of the situation.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Rookie

Hi Rosty. I believe you're right!! Thank you for the contribution.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyykatt View Post
Hey Gman~ I have billions of questions regarding O/O related stuff, not sure I wanna embarrass myself in front of whole forum LOL, it ok to Pm ya? Thnx.

No need to feel embarrassed, shyykatt. Feel free to me with any questions and I will do my best to answer them.