User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Get the Rawhide. The new MP8 motors can get 505hp. You can also get almost any tranny you want. not just a 13 or auto. The mack rawhide is the nicest looking truck on the market. Just my 2cents.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 10-28-2010, 06:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
it was me.. firebird

anyway. you CAN do EGR but he told me that he mainly does 2003 motors. he also said if you want a 318 detroit he'll order a truck wired up for one. now thats intresting!
Sorry bout that mix-up..... I talked to him on wednesday and he said they go with the 2003 motors because it's the only crate motor Detroit gives a 3yr warranty with. He has DDEC IV motors available now but can get anything I wanted.

Last edited by Steel Horse Cowboy; 10-28-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
I have a 2004 CAT C15 ACERT and I'm very happy with it. Got rid of that special ACERT muffler and put in a free flow one.... put in an extrude honed manifold ... did dyno-tuning for maximum HP and torque. It now makes 550 hp at.. 1,425 RPM and even with 3.42 rears it pulls like a bull. I'm getting 7.5 MPG US with light loads and around 6.5 with heavy ones. But I stay at or below 62 MPH.
I have a 2005 9400i with C-15 ACERT and I can't get it over 6.2mpg and that's with 3.23 rears and a automatic 10spd. I can't figure it out, and I pull super light tanks and loads are basic. My GVW with full tanks, full tanker trailer is 31,000lbs

I am still undecided if I want to sell it and keep the FLD or sell the FLD and keep the IH

Only perks the IH has is the large interior and room....... both are paid for so it's just a toss up.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Well here is what I decided to do......

I am keeping the IH and selling the FLD.
The Peterbilt dealership offered me $14,000 cash for it and i said why not.

The IH is paid for and just turned 500k miles. It has the ACERT kitty which sucks ass but I am going to make a few changes like Tracer said and get rid of the muffler system and go free-flow and also some PDI upgrades.
I also am buying a brand new tri-Pac and having it installed sometime in the next few weeks (I'm quite excited about that)

I figure since I won't have any payments, and the 72" ProSleeper will make up for the tiny 36" I am running now. Just need to add a fridge, new tires/brakes, and new shocks and I will be ready to rock-n-roll........

Thanks to all for your input and I will keep you updated on how things go.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
Well here is what I decided to do...... I am keeping the IH and selling the FLD. The Peterbilt dealership offered me $14,000 cash for it and i said why not. The IH is paid for and just turned 500k miles. It has the ACERT kitty which sucks ass but I am going to make a few changes like Tracer said and get rid of the muffler system and go free-flow and also some PDI upgrades.
I think that's a right decision. I'm also keeping mine for a year or two more. Talked to a bank who does Small Business Loans (guaranteed by the Government) and it's now here prime + 3 or 6%. She ran some numbers and with 10% down the monthly payment would still be 2 grand on a 120K truck. So, I'm going to keep mine for now...

Re: the CAT - I'm telling you, once you get rid of that stupid muffler and make sure there's no leaks anywhere (charge air cooler, exhaust manifold) you should see good fuel mileage. If you can afford to spend a couple grand on an extrude honed manifold, that'd help too. I noticed a difference once I did the change on mine. When my local CAT runs specials on top set work, I do that on top of the regular PM.

Once in a while I go to the CAT or International dealer and ask them to pressure-test all clamps on the air-to-air hoses (turbo-charge air cooler - back to engine). The clamps may SEEM tight but it happened to me more than once ... under pressure there were bubbles coming from under there and the mechanic had to tighten them even more - until bubbles stopped appearing.

All this stuff affects the fuel mileage.

By the way, my International just turned 500,000 miles; so there's no reason why your truck shouldn't get the same mileage as mine.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
once you get rid of that stupid muffler
Keep in mind, that you could be out of emission norm, after that. Standards are different in Canada....
Old 10-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
Supposedly the new Paccar engine is doing really well according to the comments from actual drivers in the stories I have read. I bought an 08 389 flat top. It has the Cat C15 in it, we'll see how it works out, but if it is anything like the pain in the ***** it was getting this truck it could the worse decision I ever made!
When did you buy it? recently? You of all posters should know, and I believe you've said so in the past........... pics or it didn't happen. :smokin:
Old 11-02-2010, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Well, the dealership here tried to pull one over on me....... I agreed to sell them my 99 FLD for $14,000. I went there to give them the title and they changed their mind to $12,000 since I wasn't buying a truck from them. I told them to shove it and I will sell it to a farmer, fellow driver or ebay the bitch.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Re: the CAT - I'm telling you, once you get rid of that stupid muffler and make sure there's no leaks anywhere (charge air cooler, exhaust manifold) you should see good fuel mileage. If you can afford to spend a couple grand on an extrude honed manifold, that'd help too. I noticed a difference once I did the change on mine. When my local CAT runs specials on top set work, I do that on top of the regular PM.

Once in a while I go to the CAT or International dealer and ask them to pressure-test all clamps on the air-to-air hoses (turbo-charge air cooler - back to engine). The clamps may SEEM tight but it happened to me more than once ... under pressure there were bubbles coming from under there and the mechanic had to tighten them even more - until bubbles stopped appearing.

All this stuff affects the fuel mileage.

By the way, my International just turned 500,000 miles; so there's no reason why your truck shouldn't get the same mileage as mine.
Well the muffler deff needs changed. Where did you get new straps for it cuz the GIANT ones on there wont fit the smaller donaldson i bought.

Also, I don't believe this truck has EVER had the overhead ran, so thats next on the list along with a bullydog programmer I think and manifold.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
Well the muffler deff needs changed. Where did you get new straps for it cuz the GIANT ones on there wont fit the smaller donaldson i bought.

Also, I don't believe this truck has EVER had the overhead ran, so thats next on the list along with a bullydog programmer I think and manifold.
I took the truck to an exhaust shop, and they did all the work, including some custom welding. I wouldn't spend money on programmers: a dyno-tuning by CAT will produce same results only cheaper. Just tell the technician what you want and he'll tweak all the fuel settings - you won't recognize the truck when he's done.

Watch my YouTube videos