User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New truck Decisions......

OK, so I am seriously contemplating buying a brand new rig. If not for anything else but the ease it will put on my taxes. ( I know some people don't think "needing to have write-offs" is real or a good thing, but I am currently making too much $$$) LOL

I have not decided between a 389EXHD, a T660 (fuel mileage) or a Mack Rawhide (I've wanted one for a while) but leaning more towards the Petercar for resale value and the availability of a ISX and pre-UREA trucks I've found.

Here's what I'm thinking of my specs....... keep in mind I have to have a flat-top truck to get under the racks for the tanker.

2010 Pete 389EXHD
63" Flat-top w/fridge and GPS
Premium Interior
500hp ISX
13spd
3.55 rears
24.5LP tires
All alumnium Durabrite Wheels
300" wheelbase ( I know, but I like it)
Tri-Pak or Promax APU

Any other suggestions?
Was thinking maybe an 18spd but I don't haul anything over 18k lbs right now, but may change one day.

With the Rawhide, they are basically ALL loaded and come with the 485hp Mack engine w/13spd or automatic

I was also considering a T660 because I have spoken with several Melton and A&R drivers in them and they say they are averaging 7.9-8.5mpg pulling normal loads..... maybe with my 16k trailer and 10k empty weight I could see 10mpg???
Old 10-18-2010, 12:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Personally, I would probably go for the fuel mileage. The T660 is a nice truck. But, the 389 is a good looking truck. At this point I might go with the one that I wanted most. I suppose that it boils down to what is most important to you. The 389 is more classic looking and will likely hold it's value a little more than the other two, but you will sacrifice some fuel mileage over the T660. Unless you need the 18 speed transmission I am not sure that it would be worth the extra money. A 10 or 13 speed would work just fine. I have a friend who has an 18 and he rarely goes through all his gears. In fact, he usually only shifts about 9 of them.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Senior Board Member

if you want a 389 did you consider a glider? you get away from all the emissions.

if not i'd go 660. my boss has 2 of them (and a 388 actually). he has the top of the line interior (vit?), studio sleepers, 18speed 3.55 rears and 550 cats. (they're older) i know with his big cats he's barely if at all getting 6mpg. i dont know where you run but i run about the same weight as you do in my company truck. trun 65 at about 1450rpm in a 10 speed.

either way.. pics!

oh and i have seen some cascadia's that were "pre-emissions" with isx's. i'm assuming its pre 2011 emissions?
Old 10-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Senior Board Member

That's a lot to think about SHC. I'd be leery of the new trucks myself, too much emissions and electronics. The more stuff you have the more that can break. Have you thought about talking to an investment strategist? There might be ways to hide the money from the tax man while that money will make you money. Trucks aren't an investment.

or

don't you have an older Pete? Maybe take the money and freshen that truck up to showroom quality and work that one. Although, it would really suck if you spent a lot of money and the gov't decided to outlaw the older models, which I think will happen eventually.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Senior Board Member

I would make sure the engine has 1859 torque. It's not a big deal since you pull light loads, but it can really make a difference once you start pulling something heavy. It'll improve fuel mileage for sure plus add to the resale down the road. If you go with an 1850 torque, the tranny and the clutch would have to be rated for the same 1850 or better. I'm not sure about 13 speed, I have one and those 'high'/'low' shifts have been a pain from the beginning. I think with today's engines you only need a 10, such as FRO18910 (rated for 1850 torque). Instead of 3.55 ratio and 24.5 LP tires, I'd go with 3.42 and 295 LP: the truck will sit lower, look better and fuel mileage would improve. "Premium interior" should include gauges, I guess for an owner-operator: the most important ones such as manifold temperature, turbo boost, and fuel pressure (good to have so that you know when the fuel filter needs to be changed). I wanted the install the latter on my truck, but CAT guys said the risk of air and fuel leaks would be high, so I didn't do it. I think when they do it at the plant, there won't be any leaks. Last but not least: my next truck would have a folding table/sofa on "the first floor" where I'd work and the bed on "the second floor" where I"d sleep. Not sure if the table/sofa would fit in your 61" sleeper though but I for one got tired of doing all the paperwork on the bed!
Old 10-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Didn't you hear him GMAN, he's making too much money. Nothing takes care of that problem like a classic truck, lol.

Personally, I'd rather have SCR than EGR. I'd go with a new engine before any '07-'09.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Well RostyC, my 74 Pete was sold last weekend to the boys down at 4-State Trucks. I was spending a little $$ to do a modest resto and I guess a client came in and wanted my truck. He offered me $40k more than I paid so I took it. It was a hard decision becuase the truck was the very 1st truck my father ever drove, but he told me if I didn't sell it, he was gonna kick my butt so i did.

Now, I preffer the LOOKS over the MPG because honestly, i don't think pulling what I do will make a huge difference with a T660. I'm currently running a 1999 FLD120 w/430hp Detroit ans 3.90's w a 10spd and I keep her around 60-63mph and am getting close to 9mpg

Tracer, I know that I will get the bigger engine. Not HP but at least with the capability of being a big HP truck if you know what I mean. Go big but don't use it

I have also been contemplating a restored 80's 359/379 with a new motor and such, might keep me under $60k and still have a basically new rig.

and also Tracer, try living out of a 38" sleeper for 2 weeks..... you think you got it bad LOL
Old 10-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries View Post
Didn't you hear him GMAN, he's making too much money. Nothing takes care of that problem like a classic truck, lol.

Personally, I'd rather have SCR than EGR. I'd go with a new engine before any '07-'09.
These rich truckers have got to have those hoods. :lol:
Old 10-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
These rich truckers have got to have those hoods. :lol:
No point in looking if you can't look good LOL

I have always liked the 379/389 but I'm finding a fondness for the old 359's too.

And yes, too much income means a bad April 15th HAHA, but I am by no means a RICH trucker. If I was rich, i wouldn't be trucking anymore.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries View Post
I have been thinking about that too. I tend to think a PRE-BOTH would be best.... say a nice 1985-1999 6NZ engine?

I don't want a SCR motor due to everyone I know (not just a few guys, but about 25) have a lot of problems with the RE-GEN systems, they say half the time they don't work and the other half they kick on right when comming to a mountian pass just about the right spot where the engine derates and you have to down-shift 3 gears LOL

PDI sells a glider kit as we talked about before, but I can't see spending the $170k on a truck, I'd rather buy a new house.