User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010, 04:49 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
.. then again.. fritzgerald said the coranado is built leaps and bounds past any other freightliner product.
The NEW Coranado's look even better, he's still getting the old body styles.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
I have been thinking about that too. I tend to think a PRE-BOTH would be best.... say a nice 1985-1999 6NZ engine?

I don't want a SCR motor due to everyone I know (not just a few guys, but about 25) have a lot of problems with the RE-GEN systems, they say half the time they don't work and the other half they kick on right when comming to a mountian pass just about the right spot where the engine derates and you have to down-shift 3 gears LOL
Nothing wrong with staying pre-'02 emissions. Though you have to keep an eye on CA if you run there. As far as I know, the SCR engines have pretty much done away with regens. It was the '07-'09s that had all the regen problems. They were putting '09 engines in almost all 2010 trucks right up until a month or so ago...maybe that confused some folks. SCR requires the urea.

If you're getting that performance out of your current truck, I kind of like the idea of sinking some money into it. You can stretch the frame (if needed) and add a bigger bunk, then completely redo the interior. Sounds like your drivetrain is good. Shoot, even add a custom hood and some paint and you'd have a unique truck without sacrificing performance.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries View Post
Nothing wrong with staying pre-'02 emissions. Though you have to keep an eye on CA if you run there. As far as I know, the SCR engines have pretty much done away with regens. It was the '07-'09s that had all the regen problems. They were putting '09 engines in almost all 2010 trucks right up until a month or so ago...maybe that confused some folks. SCR requires the urea.

If you're getting that performance out of your current truck, I kind of like the idea of sinking some money into it. You can stretch the frame (if needed) and add a bigger bunk, then completely redo the interior. Sounds like your drivetrain is good. Shoot, even add a custom hood and some paint and you'd have a unique truck without sacrificing performance.
And you hit the nail on the head.....

I have decided to just put the $$$ into the current truck.
I spoke with ICT and I'm taking the rig there tomorrow for them to check it out. They said they can probably fit one of there Pete Unibuilt cabs onto my truck and make it look factory. This would add a TON of room plus a fridge and other cabinets. Then paint it something 2-tone and the frame, all for under $25k...... then I'm going to add a tri-pac and some of those Road-Works shocks at the corners and see how she does. Prob swap the 3.90's for some 3.55's. tghen next spring, go for an out-of-frame overhaul on the engine and a new clutch and call it a day.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Good tip, thanks. I might get those. I talked to my CAT mechanic this morning about getting a new truck and he said, "These 2010 trucks have too many problems." So, I might keep my 2004 truck for a couple of years - till all the emission bugs are worked out.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Check out Fitzgerald Glider Kits: they can build you a brand new truck based on a Pete or Coronado glider kit, with a PRE-EMISSIONS engine. They do financing too... I'm tempted myself...
Old 10-27-2010, 06:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
Check out Fitzgerald Glider Kits: they can build you a brand new truck based on a Pete or Coronado glider kit, with a PRE-EMISSIONS engine. They do financing too... I'm tempted myself...
Thats what freebird and I were talking about... but they are not pre-emissions trucks. They are still EGR motors, just not 2007 emissions.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Senior Board Member

why is it you fellas are against new trucks with new style motors ,your main concern in america seems to be fuel and that wat these motors and trucks are about i thought .i not saying i brainy our fuel is $1.25 a litre at garage contract price bit cheaper
Old 10-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Supposedly the new Paccar engine is doing really well according to the comments from actual drivers in the stories I have read. I bought an 08 389 flat top. It has the Cat C15 in it, we'll see how it works out, but if it is anything like the pain in the ***** it was getting this truck it could the worse decision I ever made!

Old 10-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
Thats what freebird and I were talking about... but they are not pre-emissions trucks. They are still EGR motors, just not 2007 emissions.
it was me.. firebird

anyway. you CAN do EGR but he told me that he mainly does 2003 motors. he also said if you want a 318 detroit he'll order a truck wired up for one. now thats intresting!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
Supposedly the new Paccar engine is doing really well according to the comments from actual drivers in the stories I have read. I bought an 08 389 flat top. It has the Cat C15 in it, we'll see how it works out, but if it is anything like the pain in the ***** it was getting this truck it could the worse decision I ever made!
I have a 2004 CAT C15 ACERT and I'm very happy with it. Got rid of that special ACERT muffler and put in a free flow one.... put in an extrude honed manifold ... did dyno-tuning for maximum HP and torque. It now makes 550 hp at.. 1,425 RPM and even with 3.42 rears it pulls like a bull. I'm getting 7.5 MPG US with light loads and around 6.5 with heavy ones. But I stay at or below 62 MPH.