User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Time to rebuild

I found anti-freeze in my oil Tuesday. While there's a slim chance it's a shot water pump it's doubtful. Even if it is the water pump, I think I'm going to inframe it anyway. This couldn't come at a worse time. I wanted to build the motor on my terms, the way I wanted it but I can't afford to at this time so we'll see what I can do with it. My last three weeks or so have been horrible freight wise and this week things were really moving and I can't take advantage of it. Probably down most of next week as well. Truck goes in Monday morning.

Funny thing is I just did an oil sample and it came back perfect, so my confidence was high that a rebuild would be much later down the road.

Looks like I'll be to tell DejanH how much it is to inframe a 3406, to the penny.

It's probably just my mental state right now but I've contemplated selling it and getting out. I'm getting tired of being kicked in the balls. I don't want to go back to construction though. I know what you guys thinking so I'll just say it to myself, "quit crying..... pu$$y!"

I do have one other interest that I was going to wait until I retired to accomplish but I could try to make a run at it now. Check it out............ Yep, it's a hot dog cart. :lol:
Old 02-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
I found anti-freeze in my oil Tuesday. While there's a slim chance it's a shot water pump it's doubtful. Even if it is the water pump, I think I'm going to inframe it anyway. This couldn't come at a worse time. I wanted to build the motor on my terms, the way I wanted it but I can't afford to at this time so we'll see what I can do with it. My last three weeks or so have been horrible freight wise and this week things were really moving and I can't take advantage of it. Probably down most of next week as well. Truck goes in Monday morning.

Funny thing is I just did an oil sample and it came back perfect, so my confidence was high that a rebuild would be much later down the road.

Looks like I'll be to tell DejanH how much it is to inframe a 3406, to the penny.

It's probably just my mental state right now but I've contemplated selling it and getting out. I'm getting tired of being kicked in the balls. I don't want to go back to construction though. I know what you guys thinking so I'll just say it to myself, "quit crying..... pu$$y!"

I do have one other interest that I was going to wait until I retired to accomplish but I could try to make a run at it now. Check it out............ Yep, it's a hot dog cart. :lol:

Don't panic, could be a head gasket or oil cooler.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Board Icon

That's what I was thinking. Head gasket. Rosty might can get lucky if it's just the gasket, depending how much, and how long that anti-freeze has been in the crank case.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 02-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Senior Board Member

I had anti freeze in my oil and oil in my anti freeze. I had a hole in my oil cooler.

They explained to me the fluids will go wherever the pressure is the highest. When the engine is running the oil pressure is higher so it will go into the cooling system. When the engine is shut off there is no oil pressure but still has water pressue so it will go into the oil.

Pull your water filter off and see if there is any oil in it.

Has been 50,000 miles since I had the oil cooler replaced and there doesn't seem to be any damage to the engine.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Rookie

I had water in my fuel= a new "cam" $4500. was a bummer!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 02:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
. . Yep, it's a hot dog cart. :lol:
Check out Mark's Hot Dogs. 27 years and going strong in an ALL CA$H business. A big day is 250 @ $2.00/per dog, plus chips and drinks. He and his father built the stand for a lot less than what you were looking at. Otherwise, check Craig's List or even Ebay. You don't need to spend that much money. He has a terrific location; Search Bing Maps for Tommy's Park, Portland, ME. Location is key.

Here's a little color from my hometown . .

WCSH6.com | Portland, ME | Mark's Hot Dogs
Old 02-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
That's what I was thinking. Head gasket. Rosty might can get lucky if it's just the gasket, depending how much, and how long that anti-freeze has been in the crank case.

About a week and a half ago I noticed something strange looking about the oil when I checked it, but the truck had sat for 3 days and it was bitter cold so I thought maybe a little moisture developed. Last weekend when I checked the oil I thought something might be wrong and I should keep an eye on it, so Tuesday I checked it at a place I was picking up at and pretty much freaked out, nothing but slime on the dipstick. :eek2: I turned my papers back in and headed to the mechanic, hoping it would make it.

To be fair and honest, this is one of those times when the learning curve of trucking can bite you. I should have done something the moment I thought it looked strange, but I didn't know what anti freeze in the oil looked like until it was obvious. Lesson learned......... the hard way.............as usual.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEHAULN View Post
I had water in my fuel= a new "cam" $4500. was a bummer!!!
ouch that is a bummer. We probably have the same luck.......... none. Got a feeling I'll be writing a large check as well.

Nice avatar by the way. :thumbsup:
Old 02-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswans View Post
Check out Mark's Hot Dogs. 27 years and going strong in an ALL CA$H business. A big day is 250 @ $2.00/per dog, plus chips and drinks. He and his father built the stand for a lot less than what you were looking at. Otherwise, check Craig's List or even Ebay. You don't need to spend that much money. He has a terrific location; Search Bing Maps for Tommy's Park, Portland, ME. Location is key.

Here's a little color from my hometown . .

WCSH6.com | Portland, ME | Mark's Hot Dogs
Thanks, I think I'm going to keep the hot dog cart on a shelf for a while though. I do want to try it though, but I have it planned for a retirement gig. I'm only 39 :cry: gotta ways to go to realize my hot dog dream. Never know though and thanks for the info!
Old 02-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
ouch that is a bummer. We probably have the same luck.......... none. Got a feeling I'll be writing a large check as well.

Nice avatar by the way. :thumbsup:
Rosty,

Its always something-or- SOMEONE!!! Just paid my truck off and yesterday broke my axle in my trailer box $1800.00. So hope that lotto ticket is a winner hahahaha!!

Not my pic for avatar' Its the LIME GREEN PETE off the internet. I think its RAM Trucking but dont quote me, then I put it black n white. Its my screensaver too. I dont go OTR but I would in that truck

Pray for a small leak on that motor, we all do!!
j