User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 01:38 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

my mechanic mentioned something called STANADYNE I like the lucas fuel treatment my self. I dont know if it is the best treatment for ulsd, but been using it sporadically like with every other fuel filter change, I would fill primary filter up with lucas & pour the rest into the tanks. saw increase in faster starts 7 better m.p.m every time.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:50 AM
Senior Board Member
Angry

I did not know the ulsd would be such a big problem for older trucks. seems it is big time trouble in other places more so than here. this is what some one wrote me from reading my info somewhere else.

Over here in Australia we see the valves wearing into the top of the liners quite a bit as a result of valve guide wear. I guess this would be more common over here because our trucks are grossing anything from 40 tonne up to 120 tonne.

I know I will do something cause, I started with the older fuel & did great all these years on all part's of my truck & you cannot find just lsf anymore. and I will not be forced to upgrade to a newer truck . I am keeping mine. been running price's on the replacement parts on newer trucks, some things are triple cost & even more so than what I pay for my 95' ser 60. not to mention I wouldn't trust any newer truck to go the distance mine has, with as little trouble over 11 years I had it. NO e,g,r. on mine. still running original turbo, witch I can buy without core new for under 600.00http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif
Old 04-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, I got the truck back. It was a long time to be outta work, about a month and a half altogether. Two major snowstorms, backordered parts and finding some demons that needed to be addressed (which required ordering parts) really held up the process.

Let me tell ya though, this truck is running great. It's amazing how you don't know what you have till you feel what the motor is supposed to feel like. It was a real learning experience. My first day out with it was slow going, not much power, a lot of downshifting, and it sounded much different than before the rebuild. That was a Friday.

Monday was about the same, but Tuesday it started coming alive. More power, a little stronger jake. Wednesday really increased in power and buy Friday I had much more power in my top two gears. From Wednesday to Friday I felt like a kid with a new toy. You couldn't have smacked the grin off of my face for nothing. This is one awesome machine.

I don't know if next week will bring noticeable changes in performance like this week but it's still breaking in and will be for a while. I turned up to about 475 to 500 hp, that's a safe increase which will not compromise the rebuild. To go any higher I would need bigger crank and rods, etc. Not happening this time around, lack of funds.

When I get the bill I post it.

oooh baby let's ride!
Old 04-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Good to see everything worked out. Hope you get alot of trouble free miles out of it. :thumbsup:

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 04-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
Good to see everything worked out. Hope you get alot of trouble free miles out of it. :thumbsup:
Thanks, and btw, now that I'm up around Avondale and Oxford, PA I'll be keeping my eye out for that Mackman impostor in the daycab. If I see him, I'll get up underneath him and put him in the wall. :thumbsup::lol:
Old 04-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
Thanks, and btw, now that I'm up around Avondale and Oxford, PA I'll be keeping my eye out for that Mackman impostor in the daycab. If I see him, I'll get up underneath him and put him in the wall. :thumbsup::lol:
LMAO i seen him like 3 days ago sitting at a WAWA up on rt1 by rt1 and 202. When i see them flats hauling that stuff out of Scott's i always look for you. I know i will run into you one of these days.

It still says 359 on the hood right??

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 04-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
LMAO i seen him like 3 days ago sitting at a WAWA up on rt1 by rt1 and 202. When i see them flats hauling that stuff out of Scott's i always look for you. I know i will run into you one of these days.

It still says 359 on the hood right??
Yeah, 359 on the hood.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Well I received the bill for the rebuild. Here goes.................

We did pistons, rods, bearings, thrust plate, liners, injectors, water pump, oil pump, rebuilt the head (and from what they showed me my valves were shot, also had a crack in the head), jake tune up kit, radiator core.

He found things along the way that cost me a little extra and I also added a few things. I figured since I needed to replace four fuel lines and four bonnets I might as well do it now. No sense worrying about the old lines cracking on me and putting it back in the shop so I had him go ahead and replace the four remaining lines.

Also, a while back I developed a whistling sound when I was on the throttle. This was due to some of the after cooler bolts being stripped out. Caterpillar has a repair for it, which is basically heli coiling all the holes. Whoever rebuilt it before also didn't put the spacers in the after cooler bolts, so they had to be ordered.

Whoever rebuilt it before also didn't shim the jake properly or at all really, so we had to order shims so it could be shimmed level.

So for everything.......... out the door.......... $13582.46

And I'll say it again, this thing is a beast now. I can't believe the difference and it's still getting stronger. Money well spent.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Congrats on the rebuild. it will be a good stress reducer. knowing what you had replaced, now you can to recouping some money. good time a year to get back on the road. it took me 10 working days to have mine rebuilt. Ijust got back out on the road couple weeks ago. just after I got truck out, I had the chance to work on a sat. 1st time effer offered. special loads going out. short runs. made more than half the cost of inframe the first week, the best 1 week ckeck in about 1-2 years.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss View Post
Congrats on the rebuild. it will be a good stress reducer. knowing what you had replaced, now you can to recouping some money. good time a year to get back on the road. it took me 10 working days to have mine rebuilt. Ijust got back out on the road couple weeks ago. just after I got truck out, I had the chance to work on a sat. 1st time effer offered. special loads going out. short runs. made more than half the cost of inframe the first week, the best 1 week ckeck in about 1-2 years.
Yeah, me too. I did two loads last Sat. Probably could have done one yesterday but I had to pull my well pump up and put a new wire on it.

I've been super busy since I got it back. Thank goodness. How's yours running?