User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear about the engine problems, RostyC. I don't think it is as serious as a rebuild. Like someone else mentioned, it could be something as simple as a head gasket or oil cooler. The oil cooler would be the least expensive to repair. I would find a good mechanic that you trusted and have them check it over. It should not take too long to find the problem.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Senior Board Member

With all the snow around here it took a while to get my truck in the shop. I stopped by and talked to the mechanic Friday and it is a cracked cylinder liner. I'll know more today.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:24 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If that is all it is the price should be much less than a rebuild, unless you just want to go ahead and do an inframe. It still won't be too cheap, but I think a cylinder pack is only about $300-400 each. Of course, that doesn't include labor.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
If that is all it is the price should be much less than a rebuild, unless you just want to go ahead and do an inframe. It still won't be too cheap, but I think a cylinder pack is only about $300-400 each. Of course, that doesn't include labor.
Well, I'll put this way. The maintenance records showed a rebuild at 500,000 and a million miles. The previous owner did rods and mains just prior to me buying the truck, he showed me the receipt. I found a scrap of paper in the maintenance records that said it had been rebuilt at 1.3 million (by the second owner, not the guy I bought the truck from) but I didn't put too much stock in that because it wasn't an actual receipt. The truck now sits at 1.5 million miles so I think I'm just going to rebuild it. We'll see though I have to go back to the shop today and he'll let me know my options.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEHAULN View Post
I had water in my fuel= a new "cam" $4500. was a bummer!!!

???? water in your fuel could be the result of a bad cam ?
Old 02-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, it's all apart. It was a cylinder sleeve seal. After looking everything over combined with the fact that it's all apart, I'm going to rebuild it. The wear on the cylinder sleeves and the bearings is enough to justify an inframe.

Bad news is I also have to replace the radiator. I also won't be able to build it to 6 or 700 hp either. I would need thicker rods and a new crank and that's just too much money right now. I will be able to turn it up to about 500 hp without putting any extra stress on the rods or crank so that's what I'll do. Should be getting it back about middle of next week.

I can't wait to get back to work, my wife is trying to kill me with house hold chores.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:57 AM
Senior Board Member
Wink Rosty's virus post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
I found anti-freeze in my oil Tuesday. While there's a slim chance it's a shot water pump it's doubtful. Even if it is the water pump, I think I'm going to inframe it anyway. This couldn't come at a worse time. I wanted to build the motor on my terms, the way I wanted it but I can't afford to at this time so we'll see what I can do with it. My last three weeks or so have been horrible freight wise and this week things were really moving and I can't take advantage of it. Probably down most of next week as well. Truck goes in Monday morning.

Funny thing is I just did an oil sample and it came back perfect, so my confidence was high that a rebuild would be much later down the road.

Looks like I'll be to tell DejanH how much it is to inframe a 3406, to the penny.

It's probably just my mental state right now but I've contemplated selling it and getting out. I'm getting tired of being kicked in the balls. I don't want to go back to construction though. I know what you guys thinking so I'll just say it to myself, "quit crying..... pu$$y!"

I do have one other interest that I was going to wait until I retired to accomplish but I could try to make a run at it now. Check it out............ Yep, it's a hot dog cart. :lol:

Rosty you got a contagious post here.. not long after reading your post I had was going over my truck. found coolant in the oil. will find out monday what the cause is.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:03 AM
Board Regular

Sorry to hear that, heavyhauler. Hope it's relatively minor.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss View Post
Rosty you got a contagious post here.. not long after reading your post I had was going over my truck. found coolant in the oil. will find out monday what the cause is.
Ah man, sorry to hear that heavy. I've had people tell me before that my bad luck rubbed off on them.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Of course I am just joking about the contagious post. you can read my other post just 2- 3 weeks ago, I mentioned I was going to have an inframe done & getting some opinions here on oem parts or aftermarket kit's. so, this is really not a dissapointment at all. approaching 1.4 mil miles. I guess it's time. I would have had it done sooner. was deciding on rebuild or buy newer truck. no matter if the problem is just a gasket, oil cooler, e.t.c. at that many miles, I am going to inframe it. I can have it done for approx $6500-7000 I think.

thought a long time, over the last few months, buy newer or rebuild? I have talked to several drivers over the years. one in particular a o/o for delta had a 91 or so freightliner. he thought about having his rebuilt, but he said after all the money he would still only have a $5,000 truck. this made sense to me at the time. he bought a 99' freightliner with a Cummins in it. I saw him at the shop I go to 1 month after he bought his truck. he had to have it rebuilt. it was using 1 gal of oil every 200 miles. this was 5 years ago. I know my truck well, & an inframe would be all I need. had a lot of work done lately. 8 drives with aprox 2 years left on them, 20,000 on new steers, with 3 axle align & centramatics, new fan clutch, rear reworked, new clutch 2 years ago, plus many dash switches, a couple sensors, all new belts, hoses, fuel lines,4 new batteries 6 months ago,new starter 3 months ago, e.t.c. with a newer truck, I would just be going down the road, wondering what may go out. I think I will have more peace of mind knowing what I have in mine. it may not be woth what I will put in it, but I am not looking for resale value. I will drive the value out of it. if I can go 5-6 months, without any major problems, I will have made all my money back from inframe. I dont want to part with $20,000 or have a truck payment. so this is the way for me. hope I am making the correct decision.