User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2009, 03:31 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Ummmmmmm..... you forgot the weight per mile tax of .1316 cents per mile traveled as determined by ODOT.....
It's going up to over 16 cpm.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:44 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
It's going up to over 16 cpm.

It is a beautiful state, but Oregon is extremely high on their fuel taxes.I am not surprised that they are going up on their tax. They don't know how to manage a budget, like most of the other communist states. It is easy to see why they don't want to put the tax on a gallon of fuel. If they did they would probably have the most expensive fuel in the country.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
It is a beautiful state, but Oregon is extremely high on their fuel taxes.I am not surprised that they are going up on their tax. They don't know how to manage a budget, like most of the other communist states. It is easy to see why they don't want to put the tax on a gallon of fuel. If they did they would probably have the most expensive fuel in the country.
Well, if you figure my average fuel economy is about 7 mpg, the old 13 cpm figure would equate to a $.91 per gallon state tax, so I'd say it'd make it an awfully high pump price. The guys not paying thier own IFTA taxes (and those who do, but don't know any better) would have a heart attack when they saw the resulting pump price. The fuel retailers would be crying bloody murder over the loss of business.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Well, if you figure my average fuel economy is about 7 mpg, the old 13 cpm figure would equate to a $.91 per gallon state tax, so I'd say it'd make it an awfully high pump price. The guys not paying their own IFTA taxes (and those who do, but don't know any better) would have a heart attack when they saw the resulting pump price. The fuel retailers would be crying bloody murder over the loss of business.

I rarely buy fuel in Oregon due to the high tax. If I do I try to only buy what I need to get to another state. It seems like you are buying cheaper fuel, but when you add the tax it comes out to a very high price. When I do have to buy fuel I only buy what I need to get out of the state and into another state. Some people look at the rate and compare it to what they pay in other states. They don't realize that it is a mileage rate rather than by the gallon which is the way most states calculate their taxes. If you buy a lot of fuel in Oregon you could wind up with a much larger IFTA tax bill at the end of the quarter.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Senior Board Member

It only costs 8.00 to permit one truck for the whole year. When you buy a trip permit you pay for miles per your route. Oregon will audit your IFTA to see if you have more miles than you paid for on the permit and then charge penalty's and interest on those miles.
They will take an irrevocable LOC in lieu of the bond. Your bank shouldn't charge more than 10-15.00 for that.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
It only costs 8.00 to permit one truck for the whole year. When you buy a trip permit you pay for miles per your route. Oregon will audit your IFTA to see if you have more miles than you paid for on the permit and then charge penalty's and interest on those miles.
They will take an irrevocable LOC in lieu of the bond. Your bank shouldn't charge more than 10-15.00 for that.
Only problem with the IRLOC is that I doubt my bank would give my corporation one. It has a credit score of 0. I have a personal credit score above 800, but I'm not so sure OR would let me guarantee the funds for the corporation. It would be worth looking into, though. Even if the bank wanted put a hold on $2k in one of my accounts it would still be worth saving to $200 a year that goes to the bonding agency. Thanks for the idea, chris1.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Go to your bank and lock the 2000.00 Work out a favorable interest which will more than cover the cost. Credit score doesn't matter when backed by cash on deposit. Their fee shouldn't be more than .01%
Old 12-24-2009, 05:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Yet more mis-information as Oregon does not have a fuel tax..... :roll:

A lot of erroneous information on this subject from individuals who do NOT have a Oregon base plated fleet and corporation..... :roll:
Old 12-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
Go to your bank and lock the 2000.00 Work out a favorable interest which will more than cover the cost. Credit score doesn't matter when backed by cash on deposit. Their fee shouldn't be more than .01%
I’m going to assume that you meant the fee shouldn’t be more than 1%, not .01% because that’d be 20 cents on $2k. Our bond isn't up 'til the middle of this next year. I like doing my research far in advance so things tend to go smoothly when it’s time to take action. I will most definitely go down to the bank and look into this before we hit the road. Perhaps the bonding company would refund some of their fee if we cancel early, though I doubt it.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Yet more mis-information as Oregon does not have a fuel tax..... :roll:

A lot of erroneous information on this subject from individuals who do NOT have a Oregon base plated fleet and corporation..... :roll:
I’m pretty sure the great and powerful Oz, er…. I mean GMAN knows the difference, BigD. It is a tax nonetheless and I assumed that GMAN was simply looking at it as the same as a fuel tax, or thinking in terms of what it costs in taxes to run a mile in any one state. OR charges zero state tax at the pump (if you have a “PUC”), which always makes diesel in that state LOOK cheap (at the pump). In order to make a comparison though between other states you have either remove the state tax figured into the pump price of other states (which is what I do to decide where I will purchase fuel), or you need to convert the Oregon road tax into a per gallon equivalent and add it to the pump price. To do this, take you average MPG and multiply that by the per mile road tax rate.

For example, in IL, the tax rate is $.434 per gallon. I average 7 mpg so it costs me $.434 / 7 or $.062 a mile in tax to run in IL. States like NY are more difficult to figure because they have a mileage tax AND a fuel tax so you have to figure the fuel tax out to a cpm rate and then add it to the road tax to see what it costs you per mile to run in NY in tax… for me it’s $.3895 per gallon / 7 + .0495 cpm road tax equals $.1051 a mile to run in NY.

Now getting back to pump prices… many O/Os (more likely lease operators who either do not pay their own IFTA or don’t calculate it for themselves and therefore may not understand how it works) buy fuel by the pump price. If you do this, you’d think fuel in OR is a pretty good deal. Right now, fuel at the Troutdale Flying J is $2.409 a gallon at the pump. Compared to the Flying J in LaSalle, IL where the pump price is $2.679, it looks like a bargain. Problem is that the fuel in OR has no state tax figured into that pump price, so keeping in mind the way IFTA works, we must subtract the tax rate from the IL pump price before we can get an honest assessment of which is lower. When we do this, we see that the fuel in IL is actually $2.245 a gallon… now the fuel in Troutdale doesn’t look like such a good deal.

I’m sure, BigD that you already knew what I just covered, but many, many O/Os do not and would jump at the chance to buy that Troutdale fuel. I buy a lot of fuel in IL and even some places in CA where it is much cheaper than other places in the country where the pump prices would indicate otherwise. I also petty much always get a check back from IFTA, and on top of that ALWAYS buy the cheapest fuel available along my route.

Last edited by Musicman; 12-24-2009 at 06:06 PM.